Prices for cake stalls

Page 1 / 2
carriepat, Jul 29, 8:42am
Help! My daughter is doing a cake stall tomorrow and I have no idea about what prices to put on things. Did a google search and found nothing and only just thought of Trade Me. Does anyone know what the going rates are for:
Cake (banana medium size)
Loaf (sultana and banana)
1/2 doz biscuits (choc chip)
12 small pieces of fudge slice.

Thanks heaps

alebix, Jul 29, 8:52am
Cake $5
Loaf $4
biscuits $2
fudge $4, yes 4.... it will sell, believe me.

We had a cake stall at our small schools gala last term, we raisied $500 in 2 hours.

carriepat, Jul 29, 9:08am
Awesome thank you

elsielaurie1, Jul 29, 9:17am
Make sure some-one has a current Food Handling Certificate handy...:-}

kinna54, Jul 29, 9:54am
Depends where you are selling, but yes a good idea to have it handy. Also make sure that all food is tightly wrapped and sealed., and also protected from the weather. I always found that a well presented cake stall, helped increase the sales,i.e display everyting on a table on a lovely clean white cloth, try to elevate the cakes at the back, and the smaller goods at the front, eye appeal sells! We also found at the kindy sales that if we had a stall with coffee and individually wrapped muffins or big chocolate chipcookies we made more money, you can charge $2.50 upwards for coffee and a muffin or big cookie, whereas if you sell six muffins in a pack you only make around $4.
Good luck, hope you make a lot of money.

elliehen, Jul 29, 10:12am
Bit late for this, but sometimes people like the recipe taped to the cake too.A local school fundraiser does this and it's popular.

kinna54, Jul 29, 10:24am
Post Script!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all those who thinks my wife Kinna is a great cook, well she just burnt a batch of biscuits because she was too wrapped up in posting on message board and lost track of timehe he he (Hubby)

elliehen, Jul 29, 10:30am
Meanie!Why weren't you helping out??

duckmoon, Jul 29, 10:37am
one thing i did was cost out a recipe of a high quality chocolate cake (gaunche icing etc) and cost out a recipe of a cheaper cake (ordinary chocolate or banana)... So I knew what the baker had spent on ingredients...(I used the woolworths website for the cost of ingredients)

I wasn't prepared to give them away.

duckmoon, Jul 29, 10:38am
One year I struggled to find the time to do some baking for a kindy cake stall... and notice on Monday morning said "We raised $600 in 1.5 hours" - and I said to my friend "they haven't counted the hour I spend at home, and the hour you spent at home" etc

duckmoon, Jul 29, 10:42am
I agree with Kinna - people eat with their eyes...
Our most successful cake stalls are at the supermarket/small suburban mall - timed to catch people as the come to the supermarket on the way home from their kids' soccor games.
Saturday before Mother's Day is a great day to book in for a cake stall.

I made a list of things that the organiser should take with them (price stickers, extra glad wrap, knife to cut up a cake/beautify a cake which is looking a bit tired, extra paper plates etc).

At the school gala, if a cake is donated which has been purchased from the supermarket, it is cut up and sold by the slice (on a serviette) - if sold as a whole cake, I have not seen them get the price which the parent paid at the supermarket - but cut into slices, each slice can be sold for $1 - and so the whole cake gets $10-$12 (depending on the number of slices)

carriepat, Jul 29, 10:48am
Thanks for the great ideas. I will definitely take a table cloth along and we have some nice baskets to put the lolly bags in. With the price of butter these days I don't want to be pricing stuff too low. I intended to work out how much it cost to make each thing but of course it didn't happen.

juliewn, Jul 29, 2:21pm
Good luck with the cake stall Carrie.. they're usually busy places..

cgvl, Jul 29, 11:18pm
depending on size of loaf but at our local market they are from $6 upwardsand to be honest I would buy yours for $4 and the cakes for $5.
I really begrudge paying over inflated prices (at a market) when I can go to supermarket and get the same thing cheaper .... maybe not as fresh but just as good. jm2cw and have a great day.

duckmoon, Jul 30, 5:31am
Carrie, how did it go?

What prices did you use? and did you feel you had pitched it correctly?

alebix, Jul 30, 8:52am
Cake $5
Loaf $4
biscuits $2
fudge $4, yes 4. it will sell, believe me.

We had a cake stall at our small schools gala last term, we raisied $500 in 2 hours.

elsielaurie1, Jul 30, 9:17am
Make sure some-one has a current Food Handling Certificate handy.:-}

elliehen, Jul 30, 10:12am
Bit late for this, but sometimes people like the recipe taped to the cake too.A local school fundraiser does this and it's popular.

kinna54, Jul 30, 10:24am
Post Script!
To all those who thinks my wife Kinna is a great cook, well she just burnt a batch of biscuits because she was too wrapped up in posting on message board and lost track of timehe he he (Hubby)

elliehen, Jul 30, 10:30am
Meanie!Why weren't you helping out!

duckmoon, Jul 30, 10:37am
one thing i did was cost out a recipe of a high quality chocolate cake (gaunche icing etc) and cost out a recipe of a cheaper cake (ordinary chocolate or banana). So I knew what the baker had spent on ingredients.(I used the woolworths website for the cost of ingredients)

I wasn't prepared to give them away.

duckmoon, Jul 30, 10:38am
One year I struggled to find the time to do some baking for a kindy cake stall. and notice on Monday morning said "We raised $600 in 1.5 hours" - and I said to my friend "they haven't counted the hour I spend at home, and the hour you spent at home" etc

duckmoon, Jul 30, 10:42am
I agree with Kinna - people eat with their eyes.
Our most successful cake stalls are at the supermarket/small suburban mall - timed to catch people as the come to the supermarket on the way home from their kids' soccor games.
Saturday before Mother's Day is a great day to book in for a cake stall.

I made a list of things that the organiser should take with them (price stickers, extra glad wrap, knife to cut up a cake/beautify a cake which is looking a bit tired, extra paper plates etc).

At the school gala, if a cake is donated which has been purchased from the supermarket, it is cut up and sold by the slice (on a serviette) - if sold as a whole cake, I have not seen them get the price which the parent paid at the supermarket - but cut into slices, each slice can be sold for $1 - and so the whole cake gets $10-$12 (depending on the number of slices)

carriepat, Jul 30, 10:48am
Thanks for the great ideas. I will definitely take a table cloth along and we have some nice baskets to put the lolly bags in. With the price of butter these days I don't want to be pricing stuff too low. I intended to work out how much it cost to make each thing but of course it didn't happen.

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:21pm
Good luck with the cake stall Carrie. they're usually busy places.