When I was a kid, my Mum used to make a cake

Page 1 / 2
elsielaurie1, Jul 25, 9:14am
called 'Seed Cake'.I'm wondering what seeds were used. The seeds tasted almost aniseedy? Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

veejay13, Jul 25, 9:16am
Probably carraway seeds.

petal1955, Jul 25, 9:18am
possibly poppy seeds

elsielaurie1, Jul 25, 9:20am
Thanks...carraway seeds ring a bell...:-}They were long, whereas poppy seeds are small and round?

veejay13, Jul 25, 9:26am
Sorry....caraway should have been spelt with one "r".Yes, they are long, and have a distinctive flavour.My mum used to make the seed cake too - it was sort of yellowish like madeira cake with the seeds through it.

245sam, Jul 25, 10:02am
Yes, definitely caraway seeds for Seed Cake - I'm not sure that my Granny actually made the cake but it was her favourite and almost always offered at afternoon tea time when we visited.:-))

castlerea, Jul 25, 10:12am
I love seed cake! Does anyone happen to have a tried & true recipe?

davidt4, Jul 25, 9:31pm
Caraway Seed Cake is a Madeira cake with 2 tsp of caraway seeds added with the dry ingredients.Make sure to cream the butter and sugar very thoroughly until ivory coloured.

175 g butter softened
175 g caster sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
150 g self-raisingflour
I00 g plain (all-purpose) flour
A pinch of salt
2 tsp caraway seeds
Grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon

Method:

Set oven to 160C.Line an 18 cm cake tin.

Cream together the butterand sugar until pale and very light. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in the remaining ingredients. Spoon into a greased and lined 18 cm cake tinand level the surface. Bake for 60 - 75 min until golden brown and springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to finish cooling.

veejay13, Jul 25, 9:39pm
This is an Edmonds one, so should be okay although I haven't tried it myself.

125g butter, softened1 1/2 teasp. baking pwdr.
1/2 cup sugar2 eggs beaten
1 Tablesp. whisky or brandy (optional)
1 1/2 cups standard plain flour1 Tablesp. caraway seeds.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Add whisky or brandy.Sift flour and B. Pwdr. tog. Add eggs alternately with sifted dry ingreds. Mix in caraway seeds.Place in a greased and lined 18cm square cake tin.Bake at 180 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.Leave in tin for 10 mins. before turning out onto a wire rack.

BTW in the ingred. amounts, the 1/2 represents "half" - hope it turns out okay for you.

sumstyle, Jul 25, 9:48pm
I have changed my seed cake recipe so that it makes three mini cakes in muffin cases, made it yesterday and will do the same again today.So yummy.I use the Edmonds book recipe, without the whiskey/brandy

sarahb5, Jul 26, 2:30am
Seed cake was one of the very few cakes my mum could actually make - yummy and one of my dad's favourites as well

elsielaurie1, Jul 26, 9:14am
called 'Seed Cake'.I'm wondering what seeds were used. The seeds tasted almost aniseedy! Can anyone help! Thank you in advance.

elsielaurie1, Jul 26, 9:20am
Thanks.carraway seeds ring a bell.:-}They were long, whereas poppy seeds are small and round!

veejay13, Jul 26, 9:26am
Sorry.caraway should have been spelt with one "r".Yes, they are long, and have a distinctive flavour.My mum used to make the seed cake too - it was sort of yellowish like madeira cake with the seeds through it.

elsielaurie1, Jul 26, 9:55am
Thanks people....the reason as to why I wanted to know is that my sister is to celebrate her 70th birthday soon and seed cake was her favourite as a child, so much so, that a friend of ours said that they would bake her wedding cake as a seed cake...I'm going to bake one and send it to her...memories...:-}I have found a recipe through google, believed to be 100 years old...!!!

245sam, Jul 26, 10:02am
Yes, definitely caraway seeds for Seed Cake - I'm not sure that my Granny actually made the cake but it was her favourite and almost always offered at afternoon tea time when we visited.:-))

castlerea, Jul 26, 10:12am
I love seed cake! Does anyone happen to have a tried & true recipe!

castlerea, Jul 26, 10:34am
Thanks for those recipes!

elliehen, Jul 26, 10:52am
Interesting that so many people remember it fondly.It was a staple of cake shops in my Grandma's day and usually much enjoyed by adults and scorned by children, who thought the seeds looked like mouse droppings.

willman, Jul 26, 8:04pm
As a matter of interest,I think ErnestAdams/Adams Bruce cake Shops used to sell it as well.Great cake shops they were too.

veejay13, Jul 26, 9:39pm
This is an Edmonds one, so should be okay although I haven't tried it myself.

125g butter, softened1 1/2 teasp. baking pwdr.
1/2 cup sugar2 eggs beaten
1 Tablesp. whisky or brandy (optional)
1 1/2 cups standard plain flour1 Tablesp. caraway seeds.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Add whisky or brandy.Sift flour and B. Pwdr. tog. Add eggs alternately with sifted dry ingreds. Mix in caraway seeds.Place in a greased and lined 18cm square cake tin.Bake at 180 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.Leave in tin for 10 mins. before turning out onto a wire rack.

BTW in the ingred. amounts, the 1/2 represents "half" - hope it turns out okay for you.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 26, 9:46pm
Do you remember Fly Cemeteries too Ellie?

elliehen, Jul 26, 11:43pm
...and their cousins, Eccles Cakes, which have made a comeback :)

daleaway, Jul 27, 12:19am
The otherwise good bakery in Strathmore Wellington started making seed cake a few years back, but they did not get the hang of it at all. Put all the seeds on top, for gosh sake. And didn't rub them first, so they had hairy stalks that were most unpleasant in the mouth.
And didn't change their habits even when customers told them what to do! I don't think they make them any more.
I have several recipes for seed cake but they are all basically a madeira cake with caraway seeds stirred in before baking.
Caraway seeds are nice in coleslaw, too.

sarahb5, Jul 27, 2:30am
Seed cake was one of the very few cakes my mum could actually make - yummy and one of my dad's favourites as well