I need a foolproof apple crumble recipe

Page 1 / 2
rappy, Jul 31, 9:42am
Or at least the secret - everytime I make it, the topping stubbornly refuses to brown. I've tried 3-4 different recipes but it happens everytime! What am I doing wrong?

darlingmole, Jul 31, 10:13am
here's mine rappy ~ works a treat EVERY time ... . .

1 C flour (plain)
1 T baking powder
1 C rolled oats
3/ C brown sugar
1/2 C coconut
60 grams (ish) melted butter

mix that all together then throw over your tinned or fresh fruit. Bake at 180 deg C for 20 mins then turn the oven off. This has never failed in my books yet so good luck :-)

elliehen, Jul 31, 10:22am
rappy... what are you doing straying from Books?

If you put 'apple crumble' as the keyword in the Recipes search bar at top left and then click on Anytime, you'll get lots of threads devoted to Apple Crumble, including 'Flash Apple Crumble' ;)

bisloy, Jul 31, 10:44am
I think the secret for you, rappy, is to add the butter - either rubbed through, grated in or melted.

vashti, Jul 31, 11:33am
You might like this one

Apple Crumble
150 g Butter
150g sugar
150g standard flour
150g selfrising flour
Melt butter on a low heat until just liquid, Add sugar than sifted flour. Mix together.
Spread on top of fruit
Bake 180 approx 45 mins.

My crumbles before this were very hit and miss, but this one was just how I like a crumble and so easy.
I found this recipe last week in a local fundraiser cookery book and is from our very popular Mayor. Mr Livingston
It did seem a bit strange because the mixture was still warm and it was a bit like a cake mixture when I put it on the top of the fruit, I was so surprised when it turned out so delicious

rappy, Jul 31, 11:40am
Thank you very much everyone for the tips. (Good suggestion also Elliehen, I shall do that). Bisloy I have added butter but maybe I'm not dispersing it well enough. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

ferita, Jul 31, 5:49pm
If it is cooked you can brown it under the grill if need be.

pamellie, Aug 1, 1:13am
Try this, with the sugar on the top it always browns. You might just need to cook things a little longer than the recipe says or fan bake for the last few minutes as that helps brown things up. (Just use apple instead of rhubarb).

Caramel Crusted Rhubarb Pudding

¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup white sugar
100g melted butter
Stewed rhubarb (and or apple)
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon custard powder or cornflour
¼ cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 180c.
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.
Add rolled oats and white sugar.
Mix in melted butter to make a crumble mixture.
Sprinkle over rhubarbmixture.
In the discarded bowl, combine brown sugar and custard powder.
Spoon over crumble mix.
Carefully pour over the boiling water.
Do not stir.
Oven bake for 30 minutes

wenz126, Aug 1, 2:18am
Crumble
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats (I use wholegrain oats)
50g melted butter
Mix together place on fruit bake at 180 for about 25min

Has never failed I think the oats make it.

elliehen, Aug 1, 3:01am
I also like a little cinnamon in the crumble - goes really well with oats and apple.

gardie, Aug 1, 3:33am
1, 2, 3 method. one part butter, 2 parts sugar, 3 parts flour. Rub altogether.

I usually replace some flour with some rolled oats, coconut - anything. I think the secret is to ensure there is plenty of butter however!

catsmeat1, Aug 1, 4:09am
Here's my recipe from an old cookbook.
Cream together 4oz butter and 2/3 cup white sugar. Mix in one cup plain flour.

sue62, Aug 3, 10:48am
Should the fruit be hot or cold when you put the crumble topping on?

elliehen, Aug 3, 10:54am
It shouldn't really matter if you whip it straight into a hot oven, but hot fruit could start to make the crumble soggy if it sits around.

rappy, Jul 31, 9:42am
Or at least the secret - everytime I make it, the topping stubbornly refuses to brown.I've tried 3-4 different recipes but it happens everytime!What am I doing wrong?

darlingmole, Jul 31, 10:13am
here's mine rappy ~ works a treat EVERY time .....

1 C flour (plain)
1 T baking powder
1 C rolled oats
3/ C brown sugar
1/2 C coconut
60 grams (ish) melted butter

mix that all together then throw over your tinned or fresh fruit.Bake at 180 deg C for 20 mins then turn the oven off.This has never failed in my books yet so good luck :-)

elliehen, Jul 31, 10:22am
rappy...what are you doing straying from Books?

If you put 'apple crumble' as the keyword in the Recipes search bar at top left and then click on Anytime, you'll get lots of threads devoted to Apple Crumble, including 'Flash Apple Crumble' ;)

bisloy, Jul 31, 10:44am
I think the secret for you, rappy, is to add the butter - either rubbed through, grated in or melted.

vashti, Jul 31, 11:33am
You might like this one

Apple Crumble
150 g Butter
150g sugar
150g standard flour
150g selfrising flour
Melt butter on a low heat until just liquid,Add sugar than sifted flour. Mix together.
Spread on top of fruit
Bake 180 approx 45 mins.

My crumbles before this were very hit and miss, but this one was just how I like a crumble and so easy.
I found this recipe last week in a local fundraiser cookery book and is from our very popular Mayor. Mr Livingston
It did seem a bit strange because the mixture was still warm and it was a bit like a cake mixture when I put it on the top of the fruit, I was so surprised when it turned out so delicious

rappy, Jul 31, 11:40am
Thank you very much everyone for the tips.(Good suggestion also Elliehen, I shall do that).Bisloy I have added butter but maybe I'm not dispersing it well enough.Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

ferita, Jul 31, 5:49pm
If it is cooked you can brown it under the grill if need be.

pamellie, Aug 1, 1:13am
Try this, with the sugar on the top it always browns. You might just need to cook things a little longer than the recipe says or fan bake for the last few minutes as that helps brown things up. (Just use apple instead of rhubarb).

Caramel Crusted Rhubarb Pudding

¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup white sugar
100g melted butter
Stewed rhubarb (and or apple)
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon custard powder or cornflour
¼ cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 180c.
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.
Add rolled oats and white sugar.
Mix in melted butter to make a crumble mixture.
Sprinkle over rhubarbmixture.
In the discarded bowl, combine brown sugar and custard powder.
Spoon over crumble mix.
Carefully pour over the boiling water.
Do not stir.
Oven bake for 30 minutes

wenz126, Aug 1, 2:18am
Crumble
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats (I use wholegrain oats)
50g melted butter
Mix together place on fruit bake at 180 for about 25min

Has never failed I think the oats make it.

elliehen, Aug 1, 3:01am
I also like a little cinnamon in the crumble - goes really well with oats and apple.

gardie, Aug 1, 3:33am
1, 2, 3 method.one part butter, 2 parts sugar, 3 parts flour.Rub altogether.

I usually replace some flour with some rolled oats, coconut - anything.I think the secret is to ensure there is plenty of butter however!