Apple crumble

bev00, Jun 20, 9:17am
This Jamie Oliver recipe is good. I also sometimes add 1/4 cup coconut and sliced almonds to the topping mixture and I don't add the sugar to the fruit filling. You could use half apples half pears
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/apple-crumb
le

Edited by nauru at 3:22 pm, Tue 18 Jun

nauru (124 124 positive feedback) 3:20 pm, Tue 18 Jun #2
For the crumble: 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 50gm butter. Rub together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Put over hot stewed fruit. Bake 180C for about 30 minutes. Very easy. You could also add some muesli to this if you wish.

susieq9 (13 13 positive feedback)

bev00, Jun 20, 12:35pm
again .

sally63, Jun 21, 12:51am
Plums area nice addition to the apples too. Of course most stone fruits/ berries etc would be great. I just like the tartness of the plums

allurs, Jun 21, 8:16am
So pleased to see others preferring butter sugar flour topping for crumble. Over the years I have tried others such as oats, coconut etc and have always gone back to the basic. Thought maybe I was being old fashioned but it is the best!

juliewn, Jun 21, 9:54am
I agree Allurs. taught to use equal quantities of flour, butter and sugar at school. the easiest way to have a crunchy topping with those ingredients too. :-)

How to make a fruit crumble easily, including for those times when 'you've just had dinner and feel like something else':

Crumble: make a large batch of your favourite crumble mix - a food processor makes this quickly. Pour it into a bag or plastic container and freeze. Give the container a shake a couple of times while it's freezing - the mix will stay crumbly.

Fruit: when in season, wash apple's or pear's - or your favourite fruit for crumble - peaches, apricots, nectarine's, plums, etc.
Leave the skin on if you prefer (I do), and slice the fruit. Place in a bag or container and freeze - give them a shake a couple of times so they stay freeflow - the fruit shows very little browning, and it's ready to use.

To make your pudding: grease an oven dish, pour fruit straight from the bag/container you froze them in. Give the crumble mix a shake, pour over the fruit as much as you like to use.

Into the oven at 180C. and bake. done!
Works well to pop it into the oven just before eating dinner, it'll cook while you eat.

bosch2006, Aug 18, 10:45pm
who got a good recipe

lodgelocum, Aug 18, 10:56pm
125g flour
125g brown sugar
90g butter
mix together to a crumble
Place on top of fruit, bake until lightly golden, 16-170c 20-25 minutes
Serve with cream or custard or ice cream

bosch2006, Aug 18, 10:57pm
cheers does it have to be brown sugar dont think i got any

lodgelocum, Aug 18, 11:01pm
No, not really, gives it a deeper colour, white will do if that's all you have.

jimmy3411, Aug 19, 2:17am
Remember the cinnamon! It's yum

firemansgirl, Aug 19, 4:52am
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
60g butter
1/2 cup flour

Put apples and cinnamon in an ovenproof dish.
If the apples are sour add a tablespoon of sugar.
Mix flour, rolled oats and sugar together in the mixing bowl.
Chop butter into pieces.
Add to crumble and mix in with your fingers.
Sprinkle crumble mix over apple.
Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.

I have made this with white sugar when I don't have brown, it's not as rich but still nice.

lodgelocum, Aug 19, 5:00am
Put it in the mix or sprinkle over the apple, I wouldn't use more than a teaspoon, it is very strong but depends on your taste.

wildflower, Aug 19, 7:03am
Brown sugar, butter, chopped almonds and rolled oats.

sarahb5, Aug 19, 10:38am
My favourite - I really don't like crumble topping with oats, nuts, coconut or anything else other than butter, flour and sugar. I would add sultanas or raisins and cinnamon or mixed spice to my apples rather than the crumble mix but I do sprinkle a little raw sugar over the top before cooking it

bev00, Sep 4, 11:36am
Rub 120 g butter into 1 1/2 cups flour, stir in 80g sugar. Can add 70 g chopped pistachios. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake 20 mins till golden and bubbling. Serve with Greek yoghurt or whipped cream. Just double or triple the crumble ingredients until it looks enough to give a good layer on top of the fruit.

Quotewheelz (167 ) 6:34 pm, Mon 3 Sep #3
FRUIT CRUMBLE
½ cup each of plain flour and rolled oats
¼ cup sugar
50g cold butter, cubed
1 tsp cinnamon - see note below

Using a food processor process all the ingredients together until they are a crumbly mix.
Note: Use whatever sugar you have or prefer - I prefer raw but brown or white are ok too.
Because I prefer to make this "in bulk" and then add the spice according to the fruit I'm using I don't usually add the spice to the crumble topping.
For apple crumble I would use 3-4 large apples and grate the unpeeled apples, add the cinnamon to the apples, and then add the crumble topping. 20-30 minutes in the oven and it's ready.

PEACH (or whatever fruit you like) CRUMBLE
2 cups cooked peach slices, drained - reserve ¼ cup syrup from the peaches)
50g butter
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp each of salt and cinnamon
1¼ cups rolled oats

Place the peaches and the reserved syrup into a lightly greased ovenproof dish.
Cream the butter and sugar, then add the salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Add the rolled oats and work them in until a crumble mixture is reached. Spoon the mixture over the peaches and syrup.
Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes or until golden.
Serve with custard and/or icecream or cream.
Serves 4.
Note: For a change use whatever fruit is available and if there’s a banana or two that needs to be used, slice it/them into chunky pieces and add the pieces to whatever other fruit/s being used – I’ve used a mixture of leftover stewed fruits plus a banana or two and produced a Fruit Salad Crumble which was nice for a change and it cleared a bit of refrigerator space too!

For a 'plain'/oat-free topping I use my Mum's recipe:
MUM'S CRUMBLE TOPPING
85g butter
55g sugar
vanilla essence
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the vanilla essence. Add the flour and baking powder and mix to form a crumbly mixture.
The baking powder doesn't make the crumble topping rise as such, but it does give the crumble a lightness, rather than it being so hard/crusty.

Hope that helps. :-))

Edited by 245sam at 6:46 pm, Mon 3 Sep

kiwikatt, May 11, 6:52pm
Cinnamon is yummy, but as an alternative, we use ginger or allspice :)