Apple Crumble

lynja, Sep 8, 7:17pm
the old fashioned one with flour sugar and LOTS of butter is certainly delicious! but i am sure the butter is not good for us! i always add ciinnamon to the top of the apple.

wildflower, Sep 9, 4:22am
Tried the gingernut one last night from memorizing ingreds standing in Warehouse and it was best crumble I've ever had.

3-4 cups stewed apple, 125gm melted butter, 1/2 c flour, 1 c rolled oats, 100gm gingernuts, 1/2 c coconut, 1/2 c brown sugar to the best of my recollection.Don't totally crumb the gingernuts, leave them pretty coarse and chunky.Devine!!!!

seniorbones, Sep 9, 7:09am
sound yum, might try it on the weekend. Do you wizz the gingernuts? I'm always weary as they are so hard and might break the blade in my food processor, suppose I could just pulse and that way they wouldnt be too 'crummy'

amigos1, Sep 7, 11:40pm
Can anyone help with a nice recipe. Thanks

margyr, Sep 8, 12:04am
hi amigos1, on the left is a search box headed message board, in the keyword or member box type apple crumble, then in the date posted click on the little arrow on the right and then on anytime, then click search, there are loads of apple crumble recipes. The way i do it is just to rub some butter, flour and sugar together till it resembles crumbs, add some cinnamon and spread over the top of my cooked apple. I dont really measure so cant help with that. good luck.

amigos1, Sep 8, 12:10am
Thanks margyr :)

margyr, Sep 8, 12:16am
my son uses a mix of white and brown sugar, have not had one of his crumbles so cant say if it is nice or not. every time he comes home for the weekend he tells me of the fantastic food he has cooked, but I am yet to see any evidence.

wildflower, Sep 8, 4:00am
Allyson Gofton's new Slowcooker book uses half a packet of gingernuts, coconut, rolled oats, flour, sugar and butter.Sounds great but I don't have a slowcooker so haven't bought book yet.

kcak, Sep 8, 9:13am
I don't know my quantities either I'm sorry, but I use equal quantities of flour (wholemeal is nice), rolled oats, coconut, & brown sugar and mix it together with melted butter until it resembles crumbs.Ginger is very nice added to the dry ingredients too.

illusion_, Sep 8, 11:23am
heaps of recipes on youtube. so much better when you can see what theyre talking about too

beaker59, Sep 8, 11:34am
My Mum used to make one with oatmeal sugar and Butter which was very nice but I don't have recipe and and shes gone now. Maybe my sister has the recipe must ask her one day.

wildflower, Mar 8, 3:43pm
I broke them up into quarters first then whizzed them but they make a racket in the food processer.I used gingernuts as a cheesecake base once too and that took ages to crumb but for the apple crumble I left them fairly big and they seemed to soften up in the oven so they weren't hard to eat.I need some cheap apples now so I can make it again:)