Has anyone got a Flash version of APPLE CRUMBLE?

msfit1, May 29, 5:11am
I lurve apple crumble but my friend says its not fancy enough for a dinner party... . but its winter... . and I want it... Can I compromise? ? ?

geldof, May 29, 5:14am
you could try caramel crusted crumble. have seen on MB recently, but think it is from Jo Seagers sugar and spice

or normal apple crumble with a liquer flavoured custard

auntlb, May 29, 5:14am
Yum - I love apple crumble! ! I think it is fine for a dinner party (in fact my kids would have it for any meal fancy or otherwise! ! They also love the leftovers - if any - for breakfast! )- we also love caramel apple dumplings too! ! Such a lovely Wintery treat warm apple puddings!

kabbo, May 29, 5:16am
i luuuurve apple crumble too. my favourite pudding.
who cares if it's for a dinner party or not... . . it's an old favourite. i often have that at my dinner parties.

you could made some berries to the apples, that always nice. and you can also add oats to the crumble mix, but that can make it dry so make sure you've got heaps of butter in the mix.

yum, you've got me going now.

kabbo, May 29, 5:17am
oh btw, i always use brown sugar in the crumb mix, makes it caramelly as others have said.

aw217, May 29, 5:18am
Nut Crumble

1 cupFlour
¾ cupBrown Sugar
100gSoft Butter
½ cupRolled Oats
½ cupRound wine Biscuits or similar (roughly crushed)
¼ cupPistachio Nuts (roughly chopped)
¼ cupWalnuts(roughly chopped)
¼ cupMacadamia Nuts (roughly chopped)

• Mix all ingredients
• Spread onto a lines tray
• Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once during cooking.
• Spread on top or hot roasted or stewed fruit, and cook for a further 20-30 minutes .
This is great! you can keep it in an air tight container for a while too. A little fancy with the nuts but delicious!
I like mine with custard.

alewis, May 29, 5:50am
coconut, nuts, in crumble mixture, marsopone (sp) berrys in with the apple, def brown sugar, we have had this in fancy restaurants, just nice taste to the topping is required

indy95, May 29, 6:16am
msfit1, there is absolutely nothing wrong with serving apple crumble for dessert, but if you really want a " flash " versionperhaps you would like the Apple Pecan Crisp recipe I posted in the Apple Desserts thread.

beaker59, May 29, 6:59am
the above ideas sound very nice and for a dinner party I would cook in individual servings.

pgta, May 29, 7:05am
I would cook it anyway and don't invite your friend if it is not "fancy" enough for her

indy95, May 29, 7:06am
That's a good idea, beaker59, individual servings always have that extra " something " don't they ?

amastrader, May 29, 7:17am
Super yummmm - If its not flash enough serve it with some of that expenciv vanilla pop icecream - Like the Kapiti stuff. Yummmm

Filling:
770g can Wattie’s Sliced Apple
3/4 cup Craig’s Boysenberry Jam

Crumble:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon or cardamom
70g packet slivered almonds, optional
150 g butter, melted

1. Mix Wattie’s Sliced Apple and Craig’s Boysenberry Jam together and turn into a deep ovenproof dish.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, ground cinnamon and almonds, stir in the melted butter until well combined.
3. Spoon over boysenberry apple mixture.
4. Cook at 180°C for 35-40 minutes or until crisp and golden.

vashti, Jun 7, 8:31pm
If I haveguests I add a tin of berrys to the apple and top with the usual crumb mixture, whipped cream to go with it.

buckyboy, Jun 7, 8:54pm
if you use TIN apples, just check the label to see country of origin! ! I used to use tin apples, now I use fresh apples (mrs)

jayc14, Jun 7, 9:13pm
Nigella's Jumbleberrry Crumble is delicious. I make double the topping and keep in freezer.

vashti, Jun 7, 10:35pm
Why is that?

pongo3, Jun 8, 2:28am
this is very nice crumble.
4oz butter, 6ozsugar, 3/4flour, 2tspc-
innamon, 1 cupcoconut and cup crushed cornflakes. pinch salt.
cream butter and sugar, add rest.
1/2 crumble on base, layer stewed apple, layer lemon sauce, then another layer crumble on top.
bake 1/2 hr.
lemon sauce.
1/2 cup sugar 2 tabs cornflour. grated lemon rind and juce of 1 lemon
1 cup water. 1 oz butter, 1 beaten egg.
put water and cornflour in pot heat to thicken.
remove from heat. add butter juice and beaten egg.

cookessentials, Jun 8, 2:39am
indy95 has a nice apple pecan crisp recipe on the apple desserts thread below.

susieq9, Jun 8, 3:06am
Went to a luncheon where the apple crumbles were served individually. They had lined muffin tins with flakey pastry, so they are about 2cm above the muffin tin, and put in the apple mixture and the crumble on top, then cooked the usual way. They did enough for about 40 people. Served on a plate with ice cream and whipped cream and a raspberry sauce. You could even make it apple and feijoa or apple and tamarillo.

cgvl, Jun 8, 9:57am
My favourite crumble topping recipe would have to be Rosemary Schregar's one. It is divine, think from memory it uses hazelnuts but I use ground almonds instead. Makes heaps which you can put into a container and either freeze until required or refrigerate.
I dont have quantities written down handy, usually just go to her website and jot down amounts. It uses flour, sugar, butter and I think rolled oats as well as the almonds.

cgvl, Jun 8, 9:20pm
Here you go Rosemary Shregars Crumble mix.
110g butter
80g plain flour
50g rolled oats
30g hazelnuts or almonds
80g brown sugar

Put butter and flour into food processor and process until like breadcrumbs. Add oats, nuts and sugar and pulse until mixed.
Do not overmix otherwise it will go like pastry.

theanimal1, Jul 20, 4:44pm
Apple and Feijoa Crumble

4 medium apples – peeled and sliced
6 medium feijoas – peeled and sliced
4 Tbsp water

Layer fruit in an oven proof dish and sprinkle water over.

Topping

1/3 cup wholemeal flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup peanuts or walnuts chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
45 grams melted margarine

Combine topping ingredients, sprinkle on top of fruit and bake at 180 C until the topping is crisp and the fruit is tender when tested with a knife, about 40 minutes.