Condensed Milk salad dressing

Page 2 / 2
rainrain1, Jan 18, 5:25am
Its the only one hubby will eat apart from a boiled recipe I have.

jag5, Jan 18, 8:47am
rainrain...my hubby too.But we have found Eta do a nice one...Hometyle Condensed Milk Dressing. (I think that is the name) it is really lovely.

pickles7, Jan 18, 9:14am
No it was the regular can of condensed milk. I have now got another brand I will try that next time.

nik12, Jan 18, 11:05am
How much lemon juice do you need?

buzzy110, Jan 18, 11:21am
No. It came out of the Nestle's test kitchen. It was created to sell the product.

Actually it is quite normal nowadays to have salad dressings so sweet you could use them as a dessert topping as well. Sweet salad dressing are hugely popular because lots of people have never tasted a genuine, egg yolk, olive oil and lemon juice mayonnaise. I have friends who have no idea how to make a simple, but elegant, vinaigrette.

This means most people actually think that the only way to get a salad dressing is to buy one. The eponymous dressing of the thread title is the closest some people ever get to 'making their own' and as the ingredients are, at least, not something that reads like a chemical experiment, I suppose that is a plus in its favour.

The vinegar tones down the sweetness of the milk.

trademequeen, Jan 19, 6:46am
This is the one I use.Off an old mustard tin from the 1960's :)

1 can sweetened condensed, 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup salad oil, 1/2tsp salt, 1-2 teasp mustard powder (I use 1teasp) and 4 egg yolks.Beat altogether until well blended and pour into a jar with lid (Moccona coffee jars are excellent) and store in fridge. Keeps well and is a great dressing for coleslaw.
Enjoy :)

nfh1, Jan 19, 7:21am
Cheers buzzy - how interesting.

I suppose the vinegar would tone it down a bit. it just does not appeal to me, but if it means people are eating lots of lovely salad, then all good!

ibcreative, Jan 19, 7:27am
Believe me nfh1 - it is really lovely. Far nicer than any of those bought dressings or mayos.

buzzy110, Jan 19, 7:34am
Tee hee. I rest my case.

ibcreative, Jan 19, 8:07am
What case? I make my own vinaigrettes and mayonnaise too. It's not that hard.

But this dressing is the one from my childhood and I still like to have it now & again.

nfh1, Jan 19, 8:20am
It probably is, it is just the though of it - sort of does not sound right.Not sure that makes sense really, but I know what I mean!

Actually I am a naked salad lover so that probably does not help - my husband is a large dollop of mayo and a sliver of lettuce with a slice of tomato.

elliehen, Jan 19, 8:50am
That's because you're Not From Here #1 nfh1.

Mushy peas and bacon butties do not sound right to me ;)

ibcreative, Jan 19, 9:00am
Mushy peas! Blurk.

greerg, Jan 19, 8:07pm
I'm not keen on condensed milk salad dressing on salad and prefer homemade mayo or vinaigrette but I always loved Highlander dressing on mashed potato.Sounds disgusting but for me it was the ultimate comfort food.Haven't had it for years.

nfh1, Jan 19, 8:18pm
LOL - nothing beats a Bacon Butty with big fat rashers of bacon!Can live without the mushy peas though!

buzzy110, Jan 19, 11:02pm
Bacon buttie with avocado and lashings of butter. I used to have, as an after school snack a toasted bacon buttie with thick slices of beefsteak tomato. Oh heaven.

Quite like mushy peas sprinkled with plain old malt vinegar as well.

I know someone who went on a diet. Mushy peas was the main food, rounded out with green lipped mussels, salads, fruit, and oil. She lost a huge amount of weight and is 'skinny' to this day - some 30 years later.

nfh1, Jan 20, 12:15am
I can see the book now -The Mushy Pea Diet - that could be a real page turner!

elliehen, Jan 20, 12:27am
As exciting as 'The History of Linoleum' ;)

buzzy110, Jan 20, 1:17am
Yep, there'd be riots outside bookshops if they dared to run out too.

stg8vxqd, Jul 13, 11:34am
Hi Anh, I've never seen one could make an instant nodloe with fresh celery plus fresh thinly beef slice and a bit of green onion on top with dash of pepper that fast and smell so good so delicious. Watching my teammates eat makes me ch?y n??c mi?ng .

3pnp5ezly, Jul 14, 10:19am
Well, I just love a well-timed coincidence, as enryeove who knows me is well aware, and this one is no exception. I did not know all of this wonderful stuff about pears, but it doesn't surprise me, especially since I recently underwent brain surgery to remove an infection that had occurred due to an unfortunate bang on the right temple by a cedar tree branch. I'm much better now, but while convalescing at home I realized that my appetite was somewhat diminished, and not many foods even sounded good to me. Naturally, since eating properly is something that is still very much necessary for my complete recovery and overall continuing health, I was quite happily surprised when my mom showed up with some large pears for me, and the thought of eating one actually aroused some stirrings of appetite. It just downright sounded GOOD to me, and my initial gut (ha ha) reaction turned out to be true. They were indeed delicious, and seemed to contribute greatly to my new level of physical comfort and health. Though I do not know for a fact that all those wonderful attributes of the pear that you mention in your blog, Carolyn, were responsible for an immediate better feeling of overall health, I do suspect as much, and as I mentioned earlier, I certainly like the timing! As I will eventually get around to discussing in my own blog (once my brain is back up to speed) thecoincidencecollector.com, I have a powerful tendency to believe that while coincidences are at least entertaining, they might even be more significant than that, especially when they are well-timed. By the way, I happen to know Carolyn personally, and anytime she has any new advice/information concerning natural remedies, I LISTEN, as she herself is an excellent example of physical health and fitness, likely at least partially due to following her own advice about having a very good diet augmented by home remedies she has carefully researched and experimented with. I know I personally have benefited greatly from advice she has given me about such home remedies over the past few years. Of course, when someone meets her, it also becomes obvious that sheis engaged in regular exercise, certainly a powerful component for health and well-being when combined with the excellent nutrition to which she subscribes. Good going, Carolyn! I sure am glad you've been around to give me advice from time to time about my own health, and that you've finally gotten around to getting this blog going!Galen

ci3st6w8akju, Jul 16, 10:08am
I appreciate your coemmnts. Perhaps you misunderstood the tone of this posting. As I mention on my disclaimer page, I am only reporting my own experiences, the experiences of friends and acquaintances, and information I gather while I'm researching natural remedies for myself. I'm not making any kind of argument in this article. I'm simply sharing my own experience and hoping some of my readers will find the information helpful. I'm a little confused by the fact that you thought I did not seem to be thoroughly confident about this exercise because I've no doubt that it worked for me and I can only hope it will work for others. I certainly can't see that it would hurt to try it for oneself. If it doesn't work, the one experimenting with this method can simply try another. I can think of no harmful side effects, as long as my recommendation to watch for and avoid hyperventilation is heeded. If anyone knows of possible harmful side effects, I ask that you share your information with me. While the method may not have scientific validation, the fact that I've been able to breathe freely after performing this exercise is validation enough that it will work for me and I will continue to use this method any time I wake up in the middle of the night finding it difficult to breathe through my nose. Thank you for your coemmnts!