Pickled pork - is it the same as corned beef

Page 1 / 2
t.gypsy, Jan 7, 11:50pm
Do you do it the same as corned beef with vinegar and sugar.. I said to mom i am a bit hesitant with the vinegar as its a sweet meat. but the sugar yes..

cookessentials, Jan 7, 11:55pm
Use cider instead along with your usual bouquet garni, onions, carots etc. If you want to use vinegar, then 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp soft brown sugar, a bayleaf and an onion etc.

olwen, Jan 7, 11:57pm
We do it the same way as we do corned beef.Generally vinegar, golden syrup, cloves and peppercorns

cookessentials, Jan 8, 12:20am
x1
Heres a nice recipe for you.

Pickled Pork With Cabbage & Mustard Sauce.

1.5kg piece pickled pork
1 onion, quartered
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 bay leaf
4 cloves
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 Savoy cabbage, cut into thick wedges
25g butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup pickling liquid
1 teaspoon each Dijon, grainy and hot English mustard
1/4 cup cream
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley

Place pork in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and skim. Add onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves, vinegar, brown sugar and cabbage. Simmer until very tender (approx 21/2 hours).
If you have a crock pot, you can do it in there instead.

To make the sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan. Add onion and cook over low heat until soft. Add flour and cook until the flour 'bursts'. Gradually add the beef stock and pickling liquid. Cook until mixture thickens. Stir in mustard and cream and simmer for 2-3 minutes

Remove meat from the pickling liquid, slice and serve with the sauce. Nice with creamy mash and peas.

uli, Jan 8, 12:23am
If it is a "sweet meat" - whatever that is - then why additional sugar?
I would just slowly simmer it in water. Or cook in some sauerkraut - but not now - that is a midwinter meal.

beaker59, Jan 8, 4:16am
It is nice this time of year Uli cold sliced with a salad and some homemade chutney.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 4:37am
Pickled pork is quite delicious but I have never felt that it needed sweetening.

cgvl, Jan 8, 4:38am
I cook it same as I do corned beef.
Love it cold with chutney/pickles and salad.
Have had it hot with an onion type white sauce but that was years ago, prefer it cold.
Its really nice with a bit of spicy apple chutney too

uli, Jan 8, 5:09am
Just wanted to say that pork and sauerkraut was a winter meal.
I believe it would be nice just cold with salads this time of year.

margyr, Jan 8, 6:45am
the sugar although it may sweeten the meat slightly is I thought added for its tenderising. and although it is nice hot i definitely like it better cold with a salad and chips, or lovely new potato.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 6:49am
It is and it also helps balance the vinegar/spice mix but wasn't going down that track again!

buzzy110, Jan 8, 10:27am
Of course you can cooks. I have never felt the need to sweeten it but then I wasn't aware that any balancing was needed either. I'm always open to something new that I didn't know.

gardie, Jan 8, 6:51pm
I only every add cracked black pepper and crushed garlic to my pickles meats when cooking (water too of course).Find the crockpot great for this.

willi12, Jan 8, 7:37pm
Best way to cook pickled pork is by pouring a bottle of ginger ale over it and adding about 4 - 6 cloves of garlic.

jules555, Jan 8, 8:02pm
x1
My neighbour is a butcher, he told to put in a oven bag and cook as roast beef It was beautiful like hot ham!!

cookessentials, Jan 8, 8:45pm
Sounds quite tasty jules555. I am not a fan of it just cooked in gingerale and garlic,not tasty enough for me and quite bland.

margyr, Jan 8, 8:48pm
my husband once cooked corned beef wrapped in tinfoil in the oven, it was very nice, much to my surprise. I have another friend that only ever does hers in an oven bag. I have not tried the gingerale am going to one day when I remember to buy some when I buy the corned beef.

t.gypsy, Jan 8, 9:00pm
mmmm quite a few ideas to play around with isnt there. My mom has said she is going to do it like corned beef the first time and then we will gauge our taste buds from there lol..

buzzy110, Jan 8, 9:00pm
jules I think I will be trying out your suggestion next time I cook pickled pork, which isn't very often anyway, because it is hard to find free range pickled pork.

margyr you husband's method also sounds very, very interesting and definitely worth further consideration.

I presume both meat are roasted, rather than boiled.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 12:20am
Heres a nice recipe for you.

Pickled Pork With Cabbage & Mustard Sauce.

1.5kg piece pickled pork
1 onion, quartered
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 bay leaf
4 cloves
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 Savoy cabbage, cut into thick wedges
25g butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup pickling liquid
1 teaspoon each Dijon, grainy and hot English mustard
1/4 cup cream
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley

Place pork in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and skim. Add onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves, vinegar, brown sugar and cabbage. Simmer until very tender (approx 21/2 hours).
If you have a crock pot, you can do it in there instead.

To make the sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan. Add onion and cook over low heat until soft. Add flour and cook until the flour 'bursts'. Gradually add the beef stock and pickling liquid. Cook until mixture thickens. Stir in mustard and cream and simmer for 2-3 minutes

Remove meat from the pickling liquid, slice and serve with the sauce. Nice with creamy mash and peas.

uli, Jan 8, 12:23am
If it is a "sweet meat" - whatever that is - then why additional sugar!
I would just slowly simmer it in water. Or cook in some sauerkraut - but not now - that is a midwinter meal.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 6:49am
It is and it also helps balance the vinegar/spice mix but wasn't going down that track again!

pickles7, Jan 8, 7:00am
this just takes the cake.

fifie, Jan 8, 8:32am
This is nice when you can find a nice piece of pork.
Crock Pot Pickled Pork
Best left in the fridge in foil to marinate overnight.
Mix together 2 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard with a little salt and black pepper. Warm in saucepan on low heat.
Pour over pork and cover well. Wrap and seal in tinfoil pocket.
Place the "wrapped" pork on an upturned saucer in the crock pot and pour about an inch of water in the bottom.
Leave on low all day and place still wrapped on bench 20mis to rest.
Slice and serve.Thanks to our Fisher, its lovely hot or cold next day.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 10:27am
Of course you can cooks. I have never felt the need to sweeten it but then I wasn't aware that any balancing was needed either. I'm always open to something new that I didn't know.