So very nervous about making a pav!

Page 1 / 3
flower-child01, Jan 1, 7:34pm
http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/pavlova has a trusted and true, no fail pav, with beating length instructions etc. Def a goer. I have not once yet had a flunk, in all of the twenty years I have had this recipe.

tats63, Dec 23, 5:45pm
Hubby says 'just buy one' but I'm determined to conker it this year!Last years one had good flavour but was very flat and had goo oozing out from underneath. Any helpful tips?

gardie, Dec 23, 6:03pm
Beat the heck out of it, pile it high - don't spread it out too much.Cook at 130 degrees for 1.5 hours then turn oven off and don't open the door till its cold.If you want it softer, cook for 1 hour - I prefer the crunchy outside and softish inside.

chasing, Dec 23, 6:23pm
I have had the same problem.I did the one with the icing sugar that everyone raved about.But it was no good!! I am back on the computer looking for another recipe.Mine looked sooooo good during cooking but after I turned off the over and left it over night it just collapsed.
Good Luck with your Pav making.

alimick, Dec 23, 6:29pm
I went out to a dinner party nearly 2 yrs ago and a lady brought along the nicest pav I have ever had so she gave me the recipe.Been meaning to try it ever since but have only bought them.Like OP, I was determined to do it this year.I did but I am not hopeful about it as it too looks very flat and like the soft inner might be a bit gooey, but hey, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so here's hoping.

alimick, Dec 23, 6:38pm
I hear people saying there should be no gritty feel to the mixture but I beat mine for ages and ages and ages and still there was grit.I gave up.Next time I'm going to use castor sugar.

gardie, Dec 23, 6:45pm
Ok - sounds like you need my recipe - I haven't posted it in the past as its so similar to others but provided you understand that Pavs can be a little different each time, you'll always be successful.Do not attempt to make this if you don't have a big electric mix however - it needs a good 20 minutes of flat out beating.This recipe came from my Mum who many years ago, used them for catering.

4 egg whites
1 3/4 c sugar
2 tsp vinegar (malt or white)
4 Tbsp cornflour
2 tsp vanilla essence
pinch salt
Put all these into the big bowl and turn the mixer on, once everything is combined, add 4 tbsp boiling water and then turn speed up and beat hard for 20 mins.pile onto baking paper - no lower than an inch high
130 degs for 1 - 1 1/2 hours (depending on how crunchy you like it).Turn oven off and leave till cold.This year I made this into 2 smaller pavs - just on the same tray in their own corner.

245sam, Dec 23, 6:51pm
alimick, using caster sugar is one of the 'secrets' of pavlova making,then the beating for "ages and ages" to dissolve the sugar is very achievable.
To test for grittiness, take a tiny amount of the pavlova mixture and rub it between your thumb and forefinger - if the sugar has dissolved, the mixture will be very smooth with absolutely no grittiness.Unless a shallow/flat pavlova is wanted, pile the mixture reasonably high and then the final 'secret' is no sneaky peaking in the oven - leave the door closed until both the oven and the pavlova are completely cooled.

Good luck to you all.:-))

survivorr, Dec 23, 7:44pm
So a hand mixer/beater wouldn't be any good then?I've never made a pav but sounds as though it might not be worthwhile as I have only a hand mixer.

alimick, Dec 23, 7:46pm
It gets very stiff and takes a long time.You would probably blow a hand beater up.

tabitha, Dec 23, 7:57pm
My parents used a hand beater - about 15min! I find Edmonds recipe good and was told sticky liquid was due to oven being too hot. Good luck. (My 1st one the kids gave me 1 1/2 out of 10 & even the dog wouldn't eat it!

jpmarketing, Dec 23, 9:03pm
The secret to pav making is in the beating of the sugar( castor sugar)
being added at a tblsp at a time. When you think ahh that looks about right,wrong keep on beating.The mix should be VERY shiny and if you turn the bowl upside down it would stay there pretty much..
I either use a glass bowl or a stainless steel one and i also put the bowl in the freezer for a while to make sure it is cold.. The bowl must be really really clean and straight sided.
I also make mine using a hand held ( electric mixer) Its tiring standing doing it but it is well worth it in the end.I also pile the mixture up as high as i can and I cook for about and hour on 100 deg for about an hour and i do not open the oven at all, not even for a little peek..
As my oven is very old and the light inside is dam near non existent
i use a torch to look at it through the glass door.
i have used fan bake and dont think it makes much of a difference overall.
Hope this helps..
Happy baking:)

tats63, Dec 23, 9:48pm
Went with cooksessential recipe.It's in the oven.Looks great at the moment... fingers crossed.Only thing was it still felt slightly grainy but I sure beat the living daylights out of it!Do you guys scrape the bowl down much as you go?

harrislucinda, Dec 23, 9:58pm
doingminejustnowwiththeelectricbeatersaddingsugarslowandlongandbeatingfor30minafterafewfailsdoingitthiswayto seeifitworks

chasing, Dec 23, 10:11pm
Just made my second pav (Food in a Minute one) and it looks soooooo good very pleased indeed.The first one was a no go.This one has caster sugar and yes what everyone else is saying it seems to be the secretand lots of beating.

petal1955, Dec 23, 10:48pm
Beat the whites and castor sugar in the food processor with the plastic blade...........you can add a tablespoon of castor sugar without havign to stop the FP........sure takes the hell out of beating with and electric hand held beater

alimick, Dec 24, 12:21am
Does that really work????I find food processors don't get the air into things.Wouldn't have ever thougth to do a pav in one.

marcs, Dec 24, 12:39am
Flat pavs mean it has not been beaten enough. There is not enough air in it to hold it up and the weeping is either too much sugar, not beaten enough and egg whites not still enough. You practically need to beat the living daylights out if. A good pav mixture should be Glossy with no sugar granules and hold its peak very stiffly.

3084me, Dec 24, 1:33am
Mines in the oven now -- I have ALWAYS used the recipe using the icing sugar and mine have never failed (touch wood lol) -- I plonk everything in the bowl at once then turn on the beaters and leave them for anything up to and over half an hour at times! and I get little bits of it and rub between thumb and finger to feel for grit -- once I dont feel any grit I leave it for a few more minutes to make sure its all gone then with no mucking around pile it all onto a tray pop it in the oven on 200 for 2 minutes, then turn right down to 100 for 1.5 hours -- they always turn our perfect with no sinking or going flat :o)

alimick, Dec 24, 1:36am
So is that recipe available on here somewhere please 3084me?I've not heard of it before?*goes off to try searching*

3084me, Dec 24, 1:41am
I did post it on here ages and ages ago probably over a year ago lol -- isnt there that recipe website someone off here started up and put all our recipes on? -- I think from memory it is up on there

blondebabe1, Dec 24, 1:59am
I use the cowell's pavlova recipe they have online and it never fails, my pavs always come out primo, always use caster sugar plus I have a mixer with glass bowl., never fails me,,mine is in the oven now, looking good and I have a fan bake oven.

oldbnz, Dec 24, 2:03am
mine dead easy.3 egg whites, beat add 6tbspns boiling water, beat, add 1 tspn each malt vinegar and vanilla essense, beat. Slowly add 3 cups sugar beating until stiff.Have oven on top temp, put pav in, turn oven off.Remove pav once oven has run down to zero.easy peasy

sjordan, Dec 24, 3:16am
I made one last night for the first time ever. I used a recipe off here and there was a little syrupy stuff at the bottom. Looks ok tho.

marcs, Dec 24, 4:12am
Here it is however I use castor sugar because I don't like the taste of icing sugar in it. Tastes a bit powdery.

6 egg Whites,
3 Cups pure Icing sugar OR 1 & 1/4c castor sugar (I use castor sugar)
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug. Add the Boiled Water and vanilla. Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins). Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely and flatten the top slightly). Cook for 2 mintues at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool).

NOTE: if using electric hand beater then beat for an extra 10 mins. You should have very stiff peaks but glossy and if you rub between fingers, it should not be gritty at all.