So very nervous about making a pav!

Page 3 / 3
gardie, Dec 24, 6:45pm
Ok - sounds like you need my recipe - I haven't posted it in the past as its so similar to others but provided you understand that Pavs can be a little different each time, you'll always be successful.Do not attempt to make this if you don't have a big electric mix however - it needs a good 20 minutes of flat out beating.This recipe came from my Mum who many years ago, used them for catering.

4 egg whites
1 3/4 c sugar
2 tsp vinegar (malt or white)
4 Tbsp cornflour
2 tsp vanilla essence
pinch salt
Put all these into the big bowl and turn the mixer on, once everything is combined, add 4 tbsp boiling water and then turn speed up and beat hard for 20 mins.pile onto baking paper - no lower than an inch high
130 degs for 1 - 1 1/2 hours (depending on how crunchy you like it).Turn oven off and leave till cold.This year I made this into 2 smaller pavs - just on the same tray in their own corner.

245sam, Dec 24, 6:51pm
alimick, using caster sugar is one of the 'secrets' of pavlova making,then the beating for "ages and ages" to dissolve the sugar is very achievable.
To test for grittiness, take a tiny amount of the pavlova mixture and rub it between your thumb and forefinger - if the sugar has dissolved, the mixture will be very smooth with absolutely no grittiness.Unless a shallow/flat pavlova is wanted, pile the mixture reasonably high and then the final 'secret' is no sneaky peaking in the oven - leave the door closed until both the oven and the pavlova are completely cooled.

Good luck to you all.:-))

survivorr, Dec 24, 7:44pm
So a hand mixer/beater wouldn't be any good then!I've never made a pav but sounds as though it might not be worthwhile as I have only a hand mixer.

tabitha, Dec 24, 7:57pm
My parents used a hand beater - about 15min! I find Edmonds recipe good and was told sticky liquid was due to oven being too hot. Good luck. (My 1st one the kids gave me 1 1/2 out of 10 & even the dog wouldn't eat it!

tats63, Dec 24, 9:48pm
Went with cooksessential recipe.It's in the oven.Looks great at the moment. fingers crossed.Only thing was it still felt slightly grainy but I sure beat the living daylights out of it!Do you guys scrape the bowl down much as you go!

petal1955, Dec 24, 10:48pm
Beat the whites and castor sugar in the food processor with the plastic blade.you can add a tablespoon of castor sugar without havign to stop the FP.sure takes the hell out of beating with and electric hand held beater

alimick, Dec 25, 12:21am
Does that really work!I find food processors don't get the air into things.Wouldn't have ever thougth to do a pav in one.

marcs, Dec 25, 12:39am
Flat pavs mean it has not been beaten enough. There is not enough air in it to hold it up and the weeping is either too much sugar, not beaten enough to dissolve the sugar and egg whites not stiff enough. You practically need to beat the living daylights out it. A good pav mixture should be Glossy with no sugar granules and hold its peak very stiffly.

alimick, Dec 25, 1:36am
So is that recipe available on here somewhere please 3084me!I've not heard of it before!*goes off to try searching*

3084me, Dec 25, 1:41am
I did post it on here ages and ages ago probably over a year ago lol -- isnt there that recipe website someone off here started up and put all our recipes on! -- I think from memory it is up on there

blondebabe1, Dec 25, 1:59am
I use the cowell's pavlova recipe they have online and it never fails, my pavs always come out primo, always use caster sugar plus I have a mixer with glass bowl., never fails me,,mine is in the oven now, looking good and I have a fan bake oven.

marcs, Dec 25, 4:12am
Here it is however I use castor sugar because I don't like the taste of icing sugar in it. Tastes a bit powdery.

6 egg Whites,
3 Cups pure Icing sugar OR 1 & 1/4c castor sugar (I use castor sugar)
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug. Add the Boiled Water and vanilla. Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins). Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely and flatten the top slightly). Cook for 2 mintues at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool).

NOTE: if using electric hand beater then beat for an extra 10 mins. You should have very stiff peaks but glossy and if you rub between fingers, it should not be gritty at all.

sleyle, Dec 25, 7:53am
Oh shite, I have just made the above recipe and realised I only cooked mine for 1 hour.It is now cold so what do I do!Can I put the oven back on or will it be ruined!

tats63, Dec 26, 9:24am
My pav was AMAZING. it was huge, crispy on the outside and soft n marshmallowy on the inside.My hubby said it was the nicest pav he's ever had and he was the one telling me to 'just buy one'!I was so proud I took photos of it lol!Thanks everyone for all the tips n recipes.

juliewn, Dec 27, 1:00pm
Hi. how did you get on. it probably would have still tasted delicious.

fudge2, Jan 1, 1:58am
Gardie,. made your pav and its a keeper LOL! yum yum yum! stayed high and marshmallow filled the inside. Very nice indeed!

gardie, Jan 1, 2:19am
Yay - my Mum would have been smiling.I made a couple the Wed before Christmas and we are having the 2nd one tonight - I stored it in a plastic bag, tied up tight.Can't wait.We only have them at Christmas time or when we have overseas guests - they love them.

gardie, Jan 1, 2:20am
An hooray for you too.Just getting around to check back in to MB's.I'm so glad you had success.

buckyboy, Jan 1, 8:50am
I went to a party ages ago and there was this fabulous, I mean fab-u-lous looking and tasting pav. I asked the hostess what her secret was. She said , make two, (hers always flatened out) hence the 'make two.' put cream on them both, but sit the two on top of each other,then cream around the sides, and decorate. You have a simply fab-u-lous double decker pav that is filled with cream !don't bother to add up the calories! (mrs)