Low carb / no carb people

Page 471 / 472
cloudberry, Jan 29, 12:22am
Anjie kitty, because fats make you feel sick is no reason to brand them as "unhealthy". Many low-carbers, myself included, do well on high-fat, moderate protein, low carb. What evidence do you have that fats are "unhealthy"!

marielize1, Jan 29, 12:30am
I've noticed a lot of new "low-carb" books coming into our library collection dance around the term low- carb, using GI or other terminologyin the title. It is almost if the publishers are ashamed of being honest when they come to choosing the titles. If you read it, the basic principles are nothing but low-carb.

uli, Jan 29, 12:38am
I rather think marielize1 that publishers want to increase the "clientele" that way - so they get the "low carbers" and also all the "healthy low GI" dieters and soon also the "diabetics" once they officially adopt low GI diets, which can't be far away now.

marielize1, Jan 29, 12:47am
True, it is all about sales, and too many people are scared of the term low-carb because of all the bad press. It would be so nice if we get to the point of just admitting "we were wrong".
There is definately a big growth in the books published on "low carb" so maybe the writing is on the wall.

accroul, Jan 29, 12:51am
To a vast majority of people LC is dangerous and L/GI is healthy so publishers call it L/GI and sell more. Lets face it, people aren't going to buy into a 'dangerous' diet are they! (ok, I had a flashback - some probably would but they are neither of healthy mind or body).

accroul, Jan 29, 12:53am
anjie_kitty - can you PROVE that fats block arteries!

maxwell.inc, Jan 29, 12:57am
but your opinion has no scientific basis, its a product of 30 years of brainwashing of the human kind. its why the human race is in so much dietary trouble now days.

Keep your opinion, thats perfectly fine, but don't spread it like its gospel. or marg ;o)

And theres nothing heated about challenging your assumptions of "good diet" you might learn something :o)

marielize1, Jan 29, 1:04am
Dear Anjie kitty
Please do not take our views as an attack. I know it can come across that way. It has just been (still is) such a long hard road to get fat of the hook, where it has been acting as the scape-goat for sugar. We are very passionate about it happening one day!

If you limit your carbs, either proteins or fats need to rise. Too much protein has been shown to be problematic, while natural fats especially saturated fats are very stable and good for cells and the brain. I know this paradigm shift is a huge leap for many (most) people.
Just remember humans evolved to have the biggest brains of any species, and became rulers of the planet (for better or for worse!) A big part of that is because mother's milk is very high in saturated fat and cholesterol. If mother nature's idea was to kill us off, she failed badly.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 29, 1:14am
Anjie_kitty - Please request from the wonderful Marielize a copy of the dvd Fat Head. You'll enjoy and learn heaps from it.
I'd really love for you to see it.
The first time I low carbed I kept my fat low too and ended up really depressed and borderline anorexic. So this time I've made fat a priority.
If you like, we can give you some blogs to check out.

Re the words "low carb" - Marielize you are exactly right in what you say. In a sense Paleo and Primal strive to distance themselves from the words low carb too. It's interesting that in Sweden it's called LCHF - as in low carb high fat.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 29, 1:27am
Great! Please keep coming back in here. You're doing very well and we all just want to help you do the best you can.
I see that you're on the Shore - we'll be having a gtg sometime late Feb/March - at the Chelsea Sugar pleace! And we'd love you to join us if you want to.

marielize1, Jan 29, 1:29am
Anytime, just send me your postal address
marielize dot goldie at gmail dot com and I will put it in the post for you tomorrow morning. It is absolutely great that you are open minded enough to continue your search! Also look at "sugar the bitter truth" by googeling it. It is a bit academic but will explain why fat has never been the enemy and the great damage we are doing to ourselves by continuing sugar consumption. You are miles ahead just having given up on that already!

cloudberry, Jan 29, 1:50am
Stuffed up my last message but I wanted to answer Anjie's question: "don't they (fats) block arteries" with a simple answer: No.

cloudberry, Jan 29, 1:52am
It seems to me that from your initial comment you were trying to tell Dazz how to "lose weight and be healthy."

accroul, Jan 29, 5:33am
Dazz - are you feeling any better after having those berries & cream this morning!

uli, Jan 29, 5:51am
That choc almond cake is very "variable".

If the ingred's are just chopped up roughly in a food processor it is much more "fluffy" than if you grind them in a food mill.

So basically the coarser the choc and nuts are the "lighter" the cake. The finer you grind them the more dense it gets.

Try it out for yourself to see what you like better :)

bedazzledjewels, Jan 29, 7:09am
I added in some 85% choc too and felt a bit high for a while.
I'll see if it improves tomorrow. It's no big deal - just a bit unnerving!
A sensation you get like when you know you've had one glass too many!

bidz, Jan 29, 7:28am
Hi Marielize, I got the DVD, thank you so much.Will make time to watch it this weekend.A little bit wary of watching Sugar the Bitter Truth because I still have a sweet tooth despite dropping 21.5kg and going low carb and introducing fermented foods and coconut oil etc.

accroul, Jan 29, 7:53am
Hmmmm, I'm sure I posted something before!
I know the 'one glass too many' feeling - I had a 330ml bottle of Perry the other night. Granted I hadn't had anything to eat since lunch, but boy did 4.7% alc go straight to my head!

Just found out something I didn't know about chocolate - it contains a compound which is closely related to THC-9 - the active ingredient in Pot! They're fatty acids called cannabinoids. When the cannabinoids hit the CB1 & CB2 receptors (mostly in the frontal cortex) it can induce the feeling of being intoxicated and relaxed. Chocolate also contains Phenylethylamine which releases the same chemicals as the body does 'when love comes to call'! the compound produces a similar effect to amphetamines and is classified as a hallucinogen add that to the dopamine and seratonin in Chocolate and it should create a high similar to Ecstasy - only problem is, is that there's not supposed to be high enough levels of these compunds to get us 'high' otherwise there would be a lot more people addicted to high% chocolate than other drugs.

Absolutely no help to you in all likelyness Dazz, but I thought it interesting all the same.

kirinesha, Jan 29, 7:55am
Face it, Dazz is just a dizzy blonde!

bedazzledjewels, Jan 29, 7:57am

bedazzledjewels, Jan 29, 7:59am
Accroul - lots of good reasons to keep on with the 85%!
K - you wish!

kristy21, Jan 29, 10:09am
Whoa, This thread has been going like wild fire. Awesome to see so many new peeps and the convos that are going on are great.
I can understand why people worry about the fat intake of low carb as it does seem at times like a lot. But if you think about it its probably relatively small compared to processed foods that we could consume (for example muffins.) I wish I had kept a food diary so I could look at my food intake and fat intake before low carbing and now. At the start I did eat more butter, cheese etc but have decreased it as I keep going. I think everyone has to find what is right for them. The idea that all fat is bad fat is very hard to get out of your brain and accepting that some fats can have huge benefits takes a long time. People shudder when I show them my coconut oil in coffee but within a few months some of those people have tried and loved the benefits it can bring.I totally get that it wouldnt work for some people and never have pushed the CO on anyone! So am stoaked that friends and relatives are getting into it.
Thats whats great about TM MB and this thread in particular, the support, the ideas, the suggestions, and at times debate is eye opening.
Hope everyone is doing well. Have a happy weekend!

bedazzledjewels, Jan 29, 6:51pm
Good words Kristy.

Have any of you looked at what Dr Diana Schwarzbein is saying! Get healthy to los weight, not eat less to lose weight.

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=xwYA2BydQFo&feature=related
There are several videos here. If I can find a longer one, I'll post a link.

510, Jan 29, 7:19pm
Plan for today, is to start back on track again, after an unavoidable change in eating.Marielize the DVD arrived yesterday, "thanks very muchly". Sorry I haven't been able to send you the blank one yet.Better late than never.Need to catch up on postings on this thread as I have been away fromcomputer.

kirinesha, Jan 29, 7:24pm
Hmm, I wouldn't normally comment on this sort of thing but I did find it appalling that this low income family featured in the NZH and who are struggling on their $600 a week are photographed with takeaways in front of them and the child with an icecream cone.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm!c_id=1&objectid=10623166

Nothing like filling up on high carb low nutritional value expensive takeaway food!