WHAT IS ON YOUR CHRISTMAS DAY MENU?

Page 2 / 3
accroul, Dec 13, 9:04pm
So far it's Baked Ham, potato salad and.
There's xmas pud, brandy butter & rum custard for desert + jelly for the kids. We're supposed to be inviting the IL's so my menu is going to have to extend a little further, but I haven't worked that out yet.

rainrain1, Dec 13, 10:45pm
I'll tell you what we are NOT having this year.carrots, there are always too many left over, fruit mince pies, we hate them, trifle, I'm the only one who likes it, plum pudding, ghastly stuff, tiramisu, tried it last year, way too sickly,cheesecake, well maybe, if someone else makes one,,,,,,,,,,,,,

draco27, Dec 14, 1:31am
we are having a big bbq lunch (we have all my family and the partners family coming to our place this year) with heaps of salad and new potatos, then for tea we are doing a spit roast, huge big lamb leg to use and left over salads etc. we have a tonne of meat the farm has given us, on the barbie we are having the usual sausies, steak, chops, meat patties.

draco27, Dec 14, 1:34am
oh and of cource a xmas ham! and for dessert were having cheesecake, triffle and pav (thanks to partners mum) home made icecream strawberries cream more pav and heaps more i cant think of lol. big thanks to our parents! lol

macwood2, Dec 14, 9:06am
Cookessentials, would love the pork,prune and pistachio terrine as well.TIA

angel114, Dec 14, 9:15pm
a really yummy vege dish is -

capsicum, cherry tomatoes, onion, zuchinnis, and any other vege u like actually , sprinkle with olive oil and dark cane sugar, toss and bake in oven.these are delicious.it was actually a pizza topping but i just do them on their own in oven but you could do it as a pizza or whatever.very colourful dish.

angel114, Dec 14, 9:18pm
pork belly in milk!interesting, please elaborate lol

kinna54, Dec 15, 7:51am
we were thinking about doing a hot ham, (as ham is a hell of a lot cheaper than other meats at the mo) veges and a choice ofsalads, but have some oldies coming at lunchtime who have said: Oh we are so looking forward to your roast pork and lamb. we will supply the pork. so will do the roast thing at lunch, and cold meat salad thing at night. Have plenty of helpers, who are also contributing, they will be capable I'm sure of doing the roast. so I can concentrate on the desserts. doing a selection, still working out what at each meal, will be a variety : ambrosia, toffee pop cheesecake, pav,fresh fruit salad and berry trifle are all in there somewhere, all in small quantities for a taste of each.

lilyfield, Dec 15, 8:17am
vegetarien here-- grilled haloumi- tomatoes and pickled gherkins. fast easy no cook-simple and reasonably affordable

cookessentials, Dec 15, 8:36am
I must say, I enjoy a nice ham sandwich myself, especially with a good hot mustard spread lightly on the ham, fresh bread and butter, simple but tasty.

elliehen, Dec 15, 8:36am
Reminded me to put haloumi on my shopping list!Thanks :)

cookessentials, Dec 15, 8:37am
I LOVE haloumi, especially grilled and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the top.

elliehen, Dec 15, 8:41am
cookessentials, macwood at #29 has asked for your terrine!

uli, Dec 15, 5:11pm
*blerk* at the squeaky cheese (now called haloumi)
used to be my "ah well didn't work out the way it was intended" cheese . *squeak - chew blerk*

accroul, Dec 20, 4:15am
So so LOL. My impression of Haloumi exactly!

We're now having baked/glazed ham, potato salad, cucumber & pickled onion salad, & my version of a Greek salad for mains. For 'afters' there will be pudd with brandy butter & rum custard, warm mince pies, red & green jelly, ice-cream & bumble bee's, maybe little xmas pudd truffles.I was also contemplating a small cheese board but not sure on that one yet.

elliehen, Dec 20, 4:26am
Maybe you need new dentures!

I used to buy bags of curds of 'squeaky cheese' from the Amish in Pennsylvania for my children - made great snacks and set them on a course for life of choosing savoury over sweet.

Can't be much wrong with that.

accroul, Dec 20, 4:39am
Nothing wrong with that elliehen - if you LIKE squeaky cheese. For me, it's as annoying as a squeaky shoe & I still have my natural teeth!

cookessentials, Dec 20, 4:59am
This is the terrine I am making. Not tried this one before but like the look of the recipe.

Spicers Pork, Prune & Pistachio
Submitted by Executive Chef, Daniel Mosedale, Spicers Canopy Ecosite
Watch Executive Chef, Daniel Mosedale from Spicers Canapy Ecosite demonstrate this recipe live at Regional Flavours 2011
Ingredients
1.5kg skinless pork belly
5 cloves of garlic
½ onion
1 small bunch of parsley
2 tbsp. sea salt
1 tsp. each-pepper, coriander seeds, cumin and fennel seeds
2tbsp. flour
2 whole eggs
2 tbsp. brandy
½ cup of cream
½ cup of prunes
¼ cup of pistachios
10 slices of prosciutto
Method
• Start by cutting the pork belly in to 2cm dice and chill well.
• Using a course grind, mince the pork, garlic, onion and parsley into a chilled bowl.
• Season with salt and toasted and ground spices.
• Mix the flour, cream, egg and brandy together and using a wooden spoon beat well through the pork mix. Add chopped prunes and pistachios and chill.
• Line a 1.5kg terrine mould with cling film over lapping the sides and then layer the prosciutto to completely cover the bottom and sides with enough to overlap the top.
• Fill the terrine with the pork mix making sure to knock out any air pockets, fold over the overlapping prosciutto and then cover with overlapping cling film.
• Wrap the top of the terrine with aluminium foil and cook in a bain-Marie in a 150c oven for approx. 2 hours or until a knife comes out hot when pierced.
• Refrigerate overnight and serve with your favourite pickles, chutneys and grilled bread

sarahb5, Dec 20, 5:19am
Breakfast
Croissant
Chocolate Snails
Bucks Fizz

Lunch

Smoked salmon with blini / Toast & Pate

Turkey
Roast potatoes
Roast kumara
Carrots
Broccoli
Peas & Corn
Bacon wrapped sausages

Pavlova

Dinner
Antipasto Platters
Mince Pies/Brandy Butter
Christmas Cookies
Meringue Christmas Trees

sarahb5, Dec 20, 5:29am
My FIL was the same - I gave up trying to do anything different when they came to us for Christmas lunch because he just wouldn't eat it so we stuck with tradition and kept the "fancy muck" for ourselves (ie. prawns, pate, sweetcorn, etc)

fec2003, Dec 20, 5:44am
Wow - you'll all be dining well! This year, we're not bothering. My husband had half his upper palate removed due to oral cancer, so our celebration is that he's still here a year later. We'll be on our own, just us two, and I refuse to make food that we have to keep ploughing into for a week or more, to get through it. That doesn't mean that we won't be having some treats. There will be chocolate croissants and fresh fruit for brunch and I'll see about a few thick slices of ham for a late afternoon meal. Other than that, we're just going to rest and reflect and be happy together. xxx Liz

lindylambchops1, Dec 20, 5:48am
Beans on toast, followed by green jelly & pears with ice cream.

sarahb5, Dec 20, 6:06am
Fair enough - everyone is entitled to do what they want to do on Christmas Day and, as you say, just be happy that you're together

buzzy110, Dec 20, 6:13am
That is wonderful about your husband. However you choose to celebrate, you will be together and that is what is important.

fec2003, Dec 20, 6:52am
Thank you, sarahb5 and buzzy110 -we do have plenty to celebrate - after all, Christmas is the anniversary of the birth of a very special Child. That's a reason to celebrate in itself. xxx