Pizza in a hooded BBQ - ideas and suggestions

Page 2 / 2
valentino, Jan 3, 11:08pm
wron wrote:
we used to have a largish brick pottery kiln so I'm familiar with flame and heat patterns. My Broil King BBQ is able to go to very high temps - quote]

This reminds me of the proper Baker's Bread Oven. naturally lower heat wise but gee wizzz, does fantastic baking of breads.

Imagine same as you noted with the kiln. Hmmm wondering if "juliewn" is around, I think it was her whom noted cooking in an outside oven.

Cheers.

wron, Jan 4, 3:32am
She could be away on holiday - I'll bump it everynow and then, thanks.

valentino, Jan 22, 3:31am
Gosh, I may need to see if the Pizza tone will fit into my BBQ.

May need to look at a smaller stone Hmmmmm.

Oh well, have to measure this bit firstly then think about it.

Cheers.

Via editing, My 38cm will fit in nicely with a little bit of room to spare across wise.

sarahj1, Dec 9, 6:03am
Make my own dough, put first pizza on an old metal oven tray that I keep just for use on BBQ (it gets black and trashed by the high temps).
Crank the Weber (gas) up with all burners on full til it reaches about 500C then turn them down to medium.Temperature varies a bit with opening the lid, but basically, keep it hot, hot, hot!
They cook very quickly 5-10 minutes tops. i just check the underside of the bottom to make sure it's starting to get slightly brown and crispy, then I know its done.
While the first is cooking I roll out and top the second and it's ready to slap in when I take the first out.
Then we wolf down the first one while the second cooks, then repeat for the third, fourth etc etc.mmmmmm

leanne132, Dec 9, 6:49am
We use the pizza stone on BBQ, just like we use in the oven. temps the same as oven, we wet the stone and put pizza on. takes about 10 - 15 mins.

wron, Dec 9, 9:33am
Hi charlie, I bumped for sarah 1955!Great to see other here - wonder if valentino will notice! Cheers

fisher, Dec 9, 10:21am
Oks. I'm back from holidays in Raro hahahahahaha opps that was january.
Ok's for those that DON'T have a pizza stone here's my idea.
Hooded BBQ of course and get it cranking hot. Place your prepared pizza on an "old" oven slide you probably will only use for Bbq's from now on. Place the slide directly over the grill portion of the bbq and turn down the elements to med underneath. Leave for half the cooking time (you will need to check every few minutes so as to know for next time) and then remove the slide and place it on an elevated cake rack on top of the bbq plate side and crank up the heat again checking for doneness but not burnt consistency.
Now I havent actually done this but was just proffering my idea as a solution. For the first one (the mother in laws one hehehehehe) dont use a lot of filling that could become wasteful if it all turns to custard and burns. beer in hand and a watchful eye is the order of the day. maybe best you girls do it as us guys can easily be distracted by fishing talk or football and such mundane manly things:}}.
Go on .someone try it and let us all know. :}

ambr, Dec 10, 8:22am
Went to a pizza bbq (done in a covered one) in the US.Two large old oven trays, were alternatedand individual small bases were pre made (3 to the tray), A variety of toppings and sauces were laid out.for all the guests to put their own together. was very successful and a great alternative to a bbq for a large gathering. Was really interactive and they cooked real fast. a few minutes max

wron, Dec 12, 8:58am
Sarah - do you have a burner on underneath when you pop the pizza in, or just on the opposite side - indirectly doing the heating!
Great idea fisher - bet your mother in law is really very nice!

uli, Dec 13, 8:19am
bump for another Xmas!

wron, Dec 14, 8:36am
Great to see my old thread still living and breathing! We're having a BBQ Christmas this year instead of the usual turkey / roast lamb etc - so come on folks, add your ideas / recipes / suggestions. Oh and complements of the season to everyone.