YOUR BEST TRIFLE RECIPE

bubbacat1, Dec 8, 12:10am
I Need it please, im a teribl cook so i opted to do this for our Christmas Gathering.

purplegoanna, Dec 8, 12:57am
i spread jam on my sponge then do layers of sponge cubes, custard, whipped cream, and for special treat i buy a can of rasberries and simmer them with a cup of sugar and layer that between the sponge & custard aswell, then final layer of cream and a sprinkle of grated choclate and bam your away laughing...

redhead21, Dec 10, 12:12am
By a tin of bosenberries.Pop broken up sponge on the bottom of a bowl, pour the juice randomly over the sponge.Then pop the boysenberries over the top of that.Make up raspberry whip mix (bought from the supermarket in a packet in the jelly isle) and pour over the boysenberries, (leave to set a little before pouring into the bowl)Cover with cream and then grate a chocolate bar over the cream...... yum yum and looks great if its in a clear bowl.

wise_one, Dec 10, 2:01am
make up a jelly place sponge pieces in bowl add tin fruit salad juice soaks into sponge add chopped jelly cover with custard theen whipped cream just befor serving great for kids if jusst adults soak sponge in half cup sherry first.

wise_one, Dec 10, 2:03am
make up a jelly place sponge pieces in bowl add tin fruit salad juice soaks into sponge add chopped jelly cover with custard then whipped cream just befor serving great for kids if just adults soak sponge in half cup sherry first. i use bought custard

dragonzflame, Dec 10, 2:44am
I just spread raspberry jam on the sponge, cut it up and put the pieces at the bottom of your dish. Then I liberally douse it with sherry. (or make up some jelly and pour that over instead of sherry if it's for kids, lol). Then it's just a matter of choosing your fruit, like canned rasberries, boysenberries, peaches, fresh strawberries, whatever you like really, and put custard on top. I like to let it sit for a few hours so the sherry can really soak into the sponge. Then whipped cream on top, and if you like, crumbled flake.

duckmoon, Dec 10, 2:45am
Nigella Lawson's chocolate cherry trifle (google is your friend)

dragonzflame, Dec 10, 2:47am
oh, another easy one is kind of a tiramisu rather than a trifle, but also super-easy: get half your sponge, put that in a dish. Pour over a cup of coffee and some booze (Kahlua or Tia Maria are good, but brandy and sherry are also good). Whip a bottle of cream and mix it with 600ml of custard - just that Swiss Maid stuff. Put half of that on top of your coffee-booze sponge. Crumble over a flake bar. Then get the rest of your sponge, put that on top, leave this plain, and pour over the rest of your custard cream, and top with another flake. Done. It's great, because the kids can have the top layer and the grown ups get the bottom...but just warn them about it first ;-)

harrislucinda, Dec 10, 3:02am
thoughtimighttry1thatwasongoodmorningplacethespongeandfruitinbowlbutinsteadofplain custardwhipupcreamaddcustardandyogurtandpouroverspongethendecoratewithwhateveryoulikegratedchocolatesprinkles???

nzhel, Dec 10, 3:13am
Heres one out of the Dec Taste magazine from Sopie Gray that looks a bit different and interesting. Thought I might make it as a change from my usual recipe.

Brandied Fruit Trifle with Chantilly Cream

Brandied Fruit

½ cup finely chopped prunes – or use Amazins diced prunes
½ cup chopped dried apricots
½ cup raisins
¾ cup dried cranberries
½ cup frozen blueberries
400g can sliced or diced peaches in syrup
350g can crushed pineapple in juice
1 cup pitted cherries – if using canned or bottled cherries include some of the juice
½ - ¾ cup brandy – adjust quantity to suit your taste
½ cup brown sugar
1 whole vanilla bean

Trifle

Seeds from vanilla bean used in the brandied fruit
300ml whipped cream
2 large trifle sponges
750ml vanilla custard, chilled
Toasted flaked almonds, grated chocolate or a few fresh berries to decorate

To make brandied fruit, put all the fruit in a saucepan and add the brandy, brown sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Remove vanilla bean and reserve. The brandied fruits can be stored in the fridge for several weeks.
Split vanilla bean in half lengthways and using a sharp knife, scrape out the seeds – they will appear as a black paste. Fold seeds into the whipped cream.
To assemble, break sponge cakes into pieces and put a layer in the bottom of a large glass serving bowl. Spoon over a third of the brandied fruits, then a third of the custard, followed by a third of the cream; allow a little to trickle down the insides of the dish so it looks pretty from the outside. Continue in this manner until you have completed 3 layers, finishing with a layer of cream. You may have some sponge left over depending on the size of your dish. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Just before serving, decorate the trifle with a sprinkling of toasted flaked almond or grated chocolate or fresh berries.

Sounds delicious!

claudeandstu, Dec 12, 6:40am
Looks cool if you use two flavours of jelly. Set seperatly and then cut and then added to bowl,. I usually do lemon and lime .. ausise husband ..... but lime and raspberry would look festive.

If you cant cook just buy the custard. At this time of yeart some supermarkets do brandy custard dont they. Havent tried it but it might be nice.

claudeandstu, Dec 12, 6:41am
You could even buy ready made jelly with fruit in it :)

nzhel, Dec 13, 1:44am
I made the Brandied Fruit in the weekend for the trifle recipe I posted above and it tastes lovely. Not too sweet so it should go very nicely with the sweetness of the custard and trifle sponge. Looking forward to trying it when assembled on Xmas day - it should be a little different from the usual recipes!

kiwitrish, Dec 13, 1:52am
Same as I do.So good isn't it.Any leftovers are great next day if you have had a good night on the town.

claudeandstu, Oct 31, 11:10pm
do you just pour unset jelly over top?? I always set it seperately but that sounds less work :)