Christmas food treats- recipes please

Page 2 / 3
juliewn, Dec 5, 1:54pm
Add some chopped cherries to truffles, and maybe make them look like little Christmas Puddings, as mallowpuff biscuits are sometimes decorated. dip the shaped truffle into melted chocolate, and place on baking paper to set.

Use some melted white chocolate to place a small amount on the top of the truffle - to look like snow. then place a glace cherry half or a red pebble/smarties lolly on that. = Christmas truffles.

stejo, Dec 5, 10:04pm
Cranberry & Pistachio slice is great and looks really chrismasy being red and green, I use the recipe below -
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/kitchen_recipe_view.php!cid=26&rid=136

Its a great base and you can just add to it what you like.

tarankyle, Dec 6, 8:32pm
I am making up gift baskets of yummy goodies this year for my family. I have started baking already as I can freeze it all. In my basket we have, bounty balls, cream cheese truffles, xmas tree & star cookies iced, chocolate brownies, chocolate fudge slice & coconut rough slice. I am wrapping each up in celofane (sp) with pretty ribbons

asue, Dec 6, 10:10pm
Is freezing goodies ok! Doesn't go mouldy!

jennie5963, Dec 6, 10:41pm
They might really look forward to your tarts each year.

vmax2, Dec 6, 11:18pm
Last year I made cheese for the family.Not something you could post either, but it was well received.

tarankyle, Dec 6, 11:42pm
I have been freezing things from cakes, slices, cup cakes, chocolates for ages & have never had a problem with doing this. I always have something in the freezer that I can pull out at the last minuite if the kids need anything extra for school or if we have people to come & stay

uli, Dec 7, 12:27am
bump for another Xmas

bubbles22222, Dec 7, 5:34am
Dont want to hijack this thread, but how long b4 xmas day would you make fudge and coconut ice!

pickles7, Dec 8, 2:27am
what for !

lythande1, Dec 8, 2:33am
Only 2 people suggested something that doesn't involve sugar.

punkinthefirst, Dec 8, 5:50am
Our favourite! Berry compote.
bring 1 cup sugar, 2 cups water to the boil
Add two pieces of cinnamon quill, the juice of one lemon and the peel in a long strip, then a couple of punnets of blueberries. Bring back to the boil, then turn off, remove from the stove, cover and leave to cool. Remove the peel and cinnamon. Prepare and add as many strawberries, raspberries, boysenberries and other berries as you want. I usually add a couple of punnets of each. Keep chilled. Eat with pavlova, sponge cake, ice cream, brioche, pancakes, pikelets.or even on its own.whatever. it is very versatile.
It will keep a few days in the fridge if you make sure you don't
contaminate with a dirty spoon.
Christmas is about the only time all these fruits are ripe together. I daresay cherries would be pretty good added to the blueberries as you bring the syrup to the boil.

punkinthefirst, Dec 8, 5:53am
oops! Wrong sort of favourite!

freckle, Dec 8, 9:36pm
Christmas biscotti, lots of choice on google.I make one with walnuts, cranberries and orange peel/juice.Real yummy and you only need a cuplemof pieces in a wee cellophane bag tied with ribbon, for a gift.

niffer13, Dec 8, 10:04pm
I use my usual short bread recipe & make one batch with ginger & chocolate chips The other with cherries & choc chips. Yummy. Easy to make & post. As I dont think you could post some of the ideas that have been put FWD. I used chopped choc this year & cranberries as I had used up my cherries in my Xmas cake, The real choc is nicer than the chips.
Only thing is we have eaten most of the first 2 batches so need to do more now!

frances1266, Dec 8, 10:27pm
Macarons are delicious.

tigra, Dec 8, 11:12pm
Macaroons! or Macaroni!LOL

morticia, Dec 8, 11:21pm
A macaron is a sweet meringue-based confectionery made with egg whites, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond, and food colouring. The macaron is commonly filled with ganache, buttercream or jam filling sandwiched between two cookies. Its name is derived from the Italian word maccarone or maccherone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaron

hawki1, Dec 9, 3:31am
I just made white christmas and rocky road for my workmates cellophane bags. Only thing is I told the family it was a trial run, so guess what! they have eaten LOTS! lol, At least I know the recipes taste good.

wheelz, Dec 9, 3:52am
ofgs ! we are talking treats here. Not every day diet !

davidt4, Dec 9, 5:14am
Why does a treat have to be sweet!

lilyfield, Dec 9, 7:11pm
Thats what i thought.
My treat this year are olives,pickled ghuerkins,crackers and Haloumi.

olwen, Dec 9, 9:09pm
If you were doing truffles a selection of different ones would be nice.For the broken biscuits buy the cheapest at the supermarket and crush them.

If you like something savoury maybe some nice cheese straws or the like.

uli, Dec 10, 3:50am
I always wondered that.
For me a treat is salmon and cucumber and Greek yoghurt or cream cheese!

elliehen, Dec 10, 4:10am
These are treats in my household too, but the original poster was asking for ideas about home-made items that can be made ahead and will post or travel.

I certainly wouldn't try mailing smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices!

I have sometimes made a red capsicum and zucchini relish for Xmas gifts, but it does contain sugar ;)