Smoking Food Recipes

churchmousenz, Nov 27, 9:28pm
Hi Folks I am after some yummy smoking recipes for Fish. Ham. Chicken, Lamb etc. TIA

uli, Nov 27, 10:16pm
Brine or salt the meat or fish. Then hang over smoke and smoke. Use manuka or other hardwoods - not pine. You can add juniper berries or green thyme or rosemay leaves if you have them.

skipper42, Nov 27, 10:41pm
My daughter gave a bag of wood smoking chips "made" from chipping up old American Bourbon barrels. These give the smoke a fantastic bourbon smell and just a hint of flavour over the smoke in the food. Seriously good. Available at all good BBQ stores.

Locally, Pahutakawa is also great along with Kanuka and Manuka.

karenz, Nov 27, 11:25pm
I recently smoked a small pork belly in an electric frypan using woodchips and a wire rack,came out a bit like streaky bacon, there are a multitude of sites dedicated to smoking food and the various ways of bypassing commercial devices. I rubbed in pink salt, crushed juniper berries, ground pepper and thyme, put it in the fridge for a day then slow smoked in the electric frypan.Put a layer of woodchips (from a bbq shop) in the bottom along with a small metal bowl to collect the drippings and put the pork belly on a wire rack.Took about 5 hours on very low setting. Be firewise though, don't go out and leave it.

churchmousenz, Nov 28, 12:09am
Thanks folks I appreciate your help.
Just read of an idea when you have water bowl inside the smoker to keep stuff moist and fill 50/50 water and wine..

fisher, Nov 28, 12:06pm
Most fruit tree woods can be used for smoking..The water bowl is used to reduce heat during the process.. and in fact, cools down the smoke as it rises.... this allows a longer cooler smoke with IMHO a far better result.. I use this method in my smokehouse..
Bacon, fish, sausages, cheeses, onion rings, vegesand a myriad of items can be smoked.. With chicken I like to precook/brown it in the oven before smoking... eliminates any problems that can occur from uncooked chicken...

shop-a-holic, Nov 28, 9:28pm
I soak my Manuka chips in Stones Green Ginger Wine, and use fresh chickens. Lay them flat by cutting up the spine, not the breast. Another addictive one is soaking chips in beer and use when smoking sausages.

churchmousenz, Nov 29, 1:40am
Our first smoke was fine.. Snapper with a mixture of brown sugar, salt and mixed to a paste with Brandy..Left on fora few hours and then patted dry and smoked with Manukawood ..Yummy
Will try the wet smoking method next fisher as that sounds interesting.Maybe wild duck (heaps in freezer) soaked in orange juice and herbs (how does that sound ) then smoked with apple wood...Got to find a good supply of reasonable priced wood chips etc

sumstyle, Jan 21, 10:06pm
fisher, could you please clarify for me - if I am smoking chicken schnitzel or any thinner cuts of chicken, would I still need to precook it?Cos I was thinking of doing some today, using the same method (Annabel Langbein's) I used for salmon, but maybe the meat density of the chicken needs more cooking than fish?

fisher, Jan 22, 12:29am
Most smokers use heat and smoke to achieve the required outcome..
Pieces of chicken, whole chickens which are thick and need to cook through and to a required temperature need to be precooked..chicken schnitzel should be fine.. and may require a little longer than you would do, say for fish... just slice in with a knife and check for doneness.. Put some "whole" onion ring slices on to some tinfoil with some brown sugar and a pinch of salt on each one.. nice easy side dish..

fisher, Jan 22, 12:34am
churchmousenz.. Just line the water boil with foil and add cold water.. This is normally placed just above the heat and smoke source.. Helps control the amount of heat for "slower" cooking and also cools the smoke for a better result.. when I replenish the manuka, I replace the now hot water with new cold water in the bowl.. The idea of the foil is that fats, brown sugar, brine etc fall from the smoking into the bowl and it makes it easier to clean... I learnt the hard way scrubbing it when it had all dried like concrete..

sumstyle, Jan 22, 12:47am
cool thanks fisher - I had bumped an old thread with this question (just in case you look later for an answer from churchmouse)

sumstyle, Jan 23, 5:20am
fisher - my smoking of chicken worked a treat, thanks so much for your advice.(unfortunately I cracked my ceramic hub :-/ so that's an unfortunate lack of foresight on my behalf).

karenz, Nov 27, 11:25pm
I recently smoked a small pork belly in an electric frypan using woodchips and a wire rack,came out a bit like streaky bacon, there are a multitude of sites dedicated to smoking food and the various ways of bypassing commercial devices. I rubbed in pink salt, crushed juniper berries, ground pepper and thyme, put it in the fridge for a day then slow smoked in the electric frypan.Put a layer of woodchips (from a bbq shop) in the bottom along with a small metal bowl to collect the drippings and put the pork belly on a wire rack.Took about 5 hours on very low setting. Be firewise though, don't go out and leave it.

churchmousenz, Nov 28, 12:09am
Thanks folks I appreciate your help.
Just read of an idea when you have water bowl inside the smoker to keep stuff moist and fill 50/50 water and wine.

fisher, Nov 28, 12:06pm
Most fruit tree woods can be used for smoking.The water bowl is used to reduce heat during the process. and in fact, cools down the smoke as it rises. this allows a longer cooler smoke with IMHO a far better result. I use this method in my smokehouse.
Bacon, fish, sausages, cheeses, onion rings, vegesand a myriad of items can be smoked. With chicken I like to precook/brown it in the oven before smoking. eliminates any problems that can occur from uncooked chicken.

churchmousenz, Nov 29, 1:40am
Our first smoke was fine. Snapper with a mixture of brown sugar, salt and mixed to a paste with Brandy.Left on fora few hours and then patted dry and smoked with Manukawood .Yummy
Will try the wet smoking method next fisher as that sounds interesting.Maybe wild duck (heaps in freezer) soaked in orange juice and herbs (how does that sound ) then smoked with apple wood.Got to find a good supply of reasonable priced wood chips etc