Evorotorua - you are a genius- The best cake ever!

Page 5 / 6
bubbaluggs, Nov 21, 9:19am
very clever!

evorotorua, Nov 21, 5:28pm
wow, what a great job tielfan. I take my hat off to you. What kind of icing is that! Very well coloured. I think everyone was sweating yesterday. Very muggy in Rotorua from early in the morning!

tielfan, Nov 21, 6:20pm
Evorotorua - the big back tunnel thing was just chocolate buttercream but the sweaty stuff is homemade fondant coloured with gel paste. It was a pain to make the fondant as it was sticking all over my hands anyway.There's only a half inch of the back remaining this morning as all parents were instructed to bring a large container so I could offload it and get my fridge back.Don't want to cut the trains up - they took too much work.

babytears, Nov 21, 6:25pm
OHHHHHHHH YUM. I'm headin into the kitchen to make this ver shortly. sounds good!

babytears, Nov 21, 7:03pm
It's in the oven. except I put it into 2 cake tins. I'm guessing about 40-50 mins in the oven maybe! Oh and smells so good. all I had was 'thick & creamy blueberry yoghurt'

breena, Nov 22, 7:24am
I didnt end up making it as my hubby said the ingredient combination didnt sound 'too good' - I told him everyone on the MB thats made it raves about it, but, No, he didnt want me to bake it over the weekend.

Well tomorrows not the weekend so while hes at work, IM GONNA BAKE IT!

Will let you know tomorrow night how he says his hat tastes with the cake hehe

babytears, Nov 23, 9:31am
Well. how'd you get on!

breena, Nov 24, 9:02am
It went great - I couldnt see this thread so I started another one and madison15 put the link up to this - (thank you madison!)

I made the cake yesterday and it turned out fabulous --- ALL GONE!Next time I'm going to add a packet of chocolate chips to it - my kids like those in cakes!

We ate it straight out of the oven with cream and ice cream, then with a cuppa later and hubby had the rest for breakfast . yea I know, so unhealthy - typical Maori boy my hubby - whatevers closest will do lol!
Was going to freeze it, but it didnt quite make it - will have to bake another one tomorrow for school lunches

Thanks for putting the recipe up to share with everyone - especially me

marshmaiden, Nov 24, 10:56am
15 yr old made this at the weekend.AWESOME cake and will definitely be repeated. thanks heaps.we used that thick greek yoghurt .YUM!

cheapmike, Nov 24, 11:04am
I'm still getting complements at work about this cake that I sold to them last week for red nose day. It wasn't my skill, was the awesome recipe from Evo. SO YUM! People are still asking about it.

gardie, Nov 27, 6:45am
Got some good reviews on the cake I took to work too however it didn't quite measure up to the best ever chocolate cake from here that's cooked in a roasting pan - although I do a 23cm round and a 23cm bundt (ring) pan.People didn't realise it had banana in it until I told them - and I put in 4 small bobby ones!

elliehen, Nov 27, 6:56am
gardie, that best-ever chocolate cake you refer to is always better the following day.Just after it's cooked it smells and tastes too "eggy", don't you think!

workersmum, Nov 30, 5:24am
The bloody good chocolate cake is the same with a little tweaking.

Bloody good choc cake

Mix in order –
2c sugar
2 eggs
1cup yoghurt ( any flavour)
3/4cup cocoa
200g melted butter
2t baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups self raising flour ( or 3cups flour and 3 tsp BP)
1cup black coffee.

Mix all togethermakes 2 round cakes or a roasting tray full , bake at 180*c till knife comes out clean when tested ( about 30 mins).

Originally posted by bams1

AND. Lemon yoghurt cake.

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Grate Peel of 2 big Lemons. Beat this with:
1 cup of oil,
2 eggs &
1 3/4 cups sugar.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt,
1 cup yoghurt,
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice,
2 cups of Flour & 2 teaspoons Baking Powder.

Bake 180 C for 40 - 60 mins or until cooked. Needs large, oiled tin. No icing required. Dust with Icing Sugar if required for special occassions

Originally posted by nzbadger

Awesome cakes by tm cooks.

mazzy1, Nov 30, 6:03am
My pleasure! Credit where credit's due, I say. This was something special, in my opinion. If everything goes to plan in my garden I should have a ton of strawberries this season, so I feel brave enough to experiment now, using your recipe as a base. Cheers, Mazzy

gardie, Nov 30, 7:08am
I've only ever eaten this the next day but I do understand what you mean.The texture gets better with age too.I defrosted the 2nd banana chocolate cake on the weekend for a scouts sleep over.When I turned up the next day all the kids said what a lovely cake it was.I have only ever tasted a crumb - literally - so I really must make it again.I iced it with chocolate icing and then quartered strawberries and popped them on the top and sprinkled with edible gold stars.It looked devine.

sue62, Mar 18, 8:35pm
Sounds great. Can you use low fat yogurt! Thanks

donnabeth, Mar 19, 2:28am
Thank you sooo much. I needed two chocolate cakes for tomorrow, yesterday I doubled one already large standard recipe to make 2 awful cakes akin to 'small windowless buildings' to quote Lenny Henry.
I came in here looking for a recipe to use up surplus bananas and eggs and made this one this morning. It made one large cake and one small to medium size, perfectly even and moist.I'm definitely sold on this recipe. Many thanks again. p.s I even licked the bowl which is something I never do.

evorotorua, Mar 20, 6:37pm
Glad this cake is being shared around and enjoyed. I have used lowfat yogurt with no problems sue62. I have also used different flavours. I don't think there is any reason this recipe couldn't go into the fund raising book. I got it from a newsletter years ago. Good luck guys. Well done.

amanda72, Mar 26, 9:56pm
I tried this recipe yesterday and my husband said it was terrible (and he eats everything).I followed the recipe to a t and can't work out what went wrong.He said it was very floury and had no taste.I can't taste it as I am gluten free and made the cake with self-raising flour which I can't eat.

evorotorua, Mar 26, 11:31pm
That's a shame amanda. I have no idea what went different but I can suggest the following: maybe the bananas were still too 'fresh' (mine are normally getting pretty dark and flavoursome when I use them.) Maybe the cocoa wasn't strong/dark enough! or the yogurt! Those are really the flavours you are looking for so if flavour is missing maybe something lacking there! As for floury, I don't know. Mine are pretty moist when I make them. I do mix it all through really well. You don't need to be careful doing that as you do with some other cakes. Other than that, No idea sorry. Maybe, it's just not his thing and you can try something else. There's lots of wonderful ideas on this message board.

amanda72, Mar 27, 12:03am
Hi Evorotorua, thanks for the information.I think it was the bananas as they were fresh! The mixture was very moist before I placed it in the oven.I will try again once I have some overripe bananas.I was gutted as the recipe sounded so nice!Thanks for your help :)

evorotorua, Mar 27, 1:11am
Here's an idea. If it was floury, then you probably don't want to eat the rest of it BUT you could put it in the food processor with some Baileys or rum or whatever (not much) and whizz it around. Then roll into truffle balls, chill and coat with melted chocolate. I do this with brownie mix and they are so delicious! One brownie recipe cooked uses a third of a cup of rum to moisten.

fishergrl, Mar 27, 9:27am
I have just whipped up a batch since i had everything and wow is that a huge mix i hope my dish is big enough!its roughly half full

fourz, Apr 25, 4:58am
I made this for the second time the first time I did banana but this time I used feijoa s I used strawberry and cranberry yoghurt and oh my goodness how delicious this is! This is such a versatile cake to make, it is fast becoming one of my favourites.

kinna54, Apr 25, 7:58am
evorotorua once again it is tops.just magic. made your choc banana yoghurt cake for easter. Made it in a large springform pan, had mixture over so made 6 mini's as well.Iced with choc icing and garnished with choc buttons for easter! What more can I say!2 slices left for supper. (if DH hasn't found it by now)
PS passed your recipe on to all the visitors. Daughter in law (who says she could burn water) is going to try. (keep you posted)