Evorotorua - you are a genius- The best cake ever!

Page 3 / 6
pixiegirl, Mar 18, 2:17am
Bumping up as someone looking for banana choc cake

sue62, Mar 18, 8:35pm
Sounds great. Can you use low fat yogurt? Thanks

donnabeth, Mar 19, 2:28am
Thank you sooo much. I needed two chocolate cakes for tomorrow, yesterday I doubled one already large standard recipe to make 2 awful cakes akin to 'small windowless buildings' to quote Lenny Henry.
I came in here looking for a recipe to use up surplus bananas and eggs and made this one this morning. It made one large cake and one small to medium size, perfectly even and moist.I'm definitely sold on this recipe. Many thanks again. p.s I even licked the bowl which is something I never do.

evorotorua, Mar 20, 6:37pm
Glad this cake is being shared around and enjoyed. I have used lowfat yogurt with no problems sue62. I have also used different flavours. I don't think there is any reason this recipe couldn't go into the fund raising book. I got it from a newsletter years ago. Good luck guys. Well done.

amanda72, Mar 26, 9:56pm
I tried this recipe yesterday and my husband said it was terrible (and he eats everything).I followed the recipe to a t and can't work out what went wrong.He said it was very floury and had no taste.I can't taste it as I am gluten free and made the cake with self-raising flour which I can't eat.

evorotorua, Mar 26, 11:31pm
That's a shame amanda. I have no idea what went different but I can suggest the following: maybe the bananas were still too 'fresh' (mine are normally getting pretty dark and flavoursome when I use them.) Maybe the cocoa wasn't strong/dark enough? or the yogurt? Those are really the flavours you are looking for so if flavour is missing maybe something lacking there? As for floury, I don't know. Mine are pretty moist when I make them. I do mix it all through really well. You don't need to be careful doing that as you do with some other cakes. Other than that, No idea sorry. Maybe, it's just not his thing and you can try something else. There's lots of wonderful ideas on this message board.

amanda72, Mar 27, 12:03am
Hi Evorotorua, thanks for the information.I think it was the bananas as they were fresh!! The mixture was very moist before I placed it in the oven.I will try again once I have some overripe bananas.I was gutted as the recipe sounded so nice!Thanks for your help :)

evorotorua, Mar 27, 1:11am
Here's an idea. If it was floury, then you probably don't want to eat the rest of it BUT you could put it in the food processor with some Baileys or rum or whatever (not much) and whizz it around. Then roll into truffle balls, chill and coat with melted chocolate. I do this with brownie mix and they are so delicious! One brownie recipe cooked uses a third of a cup of rum to moisten.

amanda72, Mar 27, 1:30am
Thanks for that Evorotorua, I might try that.Just reading out your idea to my hubby and he likes that idea!

jo158, Mar 27, 7:21am
I made this cake today and instead of the bananas i put mixed berries and berry yogurt instead of plain and it was just devine.Sooooo moist,thanks it will be added to my favourites.

fishergrl, Mar 27, 9:27am
I have just whipped up a batch since i had everything and wow is that a huge mix i hope my dish is big enough!!!its roughly half full

fourz, Apr 25, 4:58am
I made this for the second time the first time I did banana but this time I used feijoa s I used strawberry and cranberry yoghurt and oh my goodness how delicious this is!!! This is such a versatile cake to make, it is fast becoming one of my favourites.

kinna54, Apr 25, 7:58am
evorotorua once again it is tops...just magic... made your choc banana yoghurt cake for easter. Made it in a large springform pan, had mixture over so made 6 mini's as well.Iced with choc icing and garnished with choc buttons for easter! What more can I say!!!2 slices left for supper. (if DH hasn't found it by now)
PS passed your recipe on to all the visitors. Daughter in law (who says she could burn water) is going to try... (keep you posted)

evorotorua, Apr 26, 6:44pm
Hi Kinna54, Thanks for the nice comment. What a nice way to decorate the cake. I made it again last week and it's all gone! I like the idea of using feijoas fourz. How many did you need? Might be best to work out approximate cups of the fruit used because I have seen feijoas of all sizes this year!!! Would you think a cup and a half to two cups of the pulp? Hope everyone had a good easter. Erica

norse_westie, Apr 26, 8:05pm
I had way too many bananas in my freezer so made two of these cakes yesterday. I always double the amount of bananas as I like a strong flavour and I only use dutch cocoa which is much richer and gives a real chocolate taste.

The first I cut up into single serve portions, wrapped and froze for school lunches. The second, I added 2 cups of chocolate bits which sink to the bottom and make it fudgey. This I served warm with vanilla bean cream, as we had 5 guests for dinner. It served 12 of us very nicely and everyone thought it was some super expensive, difficult to make dessert.

I have made it before so I knew it would be good!

fourz, Apr 27, 5:42am
I used about 2 cups of feijoas. I mashed them but still left a few chunky bits.It improves each day lol yes surprise we still have some lol but the kids haven't been around much the past few days. Will take some to test on my friends tomorrow.

evorotorua, Apr 27, 8:34am
Tinned peaches are good too. I like the idea of leaving a few little chunks for a 'surprise' bite too. The chocolate 'fudgy' bit is a great idea. I sometimes put those bigger chocolate Nestle Melts on the top as soon as it comes out of the oven. I arrange them in lines so that each piece would have a chocolate on top when cut if you know what I mean. The heat from the cake melts the base of the chocolate and then as the cake cools it sets into place. (Do this AFTER you tip it out of the tin....lesson learned!)

kitcheno, Apr 27, 11:33pm
For a novice pensioner chef, could you please tell me what size dish to cooc it in.

evorotorua, Apr 28, 4:00am
Hi kitcheno, I use a roasting dish. Not one of those super huge ones. It makes a pretty big cake. You could also use two 8 inch square tins.

bjkiwi, Nov 13, 2:11am
in the oven baking now! am bumping this to keep it up because if the cake tastes anywhere near as good as the batter it will be devine!made with Dreamy Lemon yoghurt - cant wait

kinna54, Nov 13, 2:40am
Bump!
good to see this doing the rounds yet again. I have cut and pasted this one on several sites (always giving the credit to evorotorua and always post it as the famedevorotorua's cake.)
Made it countless times now, last big event I made it for was my grandson's christening, then made it as large cupcakes for a birthday a couple of weeks ago. It also freezes well, (it is so yummy that if I don't freeze some ofit I will simply eat it all!) I also make it without the bananas just as a choc cake.
An AAAAA+ recommendation for this recipe!

samsnan, Nov 13, 2:42am
I used 2 ring tins and that made good sized cakes. I also use any yoghurt on hand, a berry one was used. A lovely light cake that keeps for many days. Better than a cake with oil in it.

actiongirl1, Nov 13, 9:13am
I am going to make this tomorrow, does it have to be iced or not!
Thanks

mazzy1, Nov 13, 9:27am
*waves to evo* Remember me! Your biggest fan! In fact I started this thread way back when. Still swooning in your wake. Anyone who can give me a chocolate cake recipe where people still speak to me the next day is a genius. You must try this, people!

mazzy1, Nov 13, 9:28am
You don't need to ice it if you don't want to. Sift a bit of icing sugar over your cake if you prefer - all class!