Camping food

Page 1 / 8
tarankyle, Nov 7, 6:35am
we are going away with the kids camping this new years & I am after some ideas for dinners other than just BBQ and salad every night. I thought about doing mince wraps too as that will be easy, any other ideas please?

tarankyle, Nov 7, 6:36am
oh we only have the bbq to cook everything on also

neville26, Nov 7, 6:57am
stirfrys, hamburgers, pasta and mince, sweetcorn fritters, pancakes fish cakes.....

jfr, Nov 7, 7:09am
We camp at a lot of the DOC campsites & they have the open campfires available for campfire cooking. (Kids love it).Nice to sit around a campfire at night talking & toasting marshmallows. I use a Dutch oven & BBQ charcoal to cook stews, cakes & desserts. Search the net... some great ideas are available.

dlmckay, Nov 7, 7:12am
I found this link http://www.essortment.com/travel/simpleportable_sjjo.htm when I was searching for the same thing.

Chicken wraps are also a good idea - pan fry the chicken in spices, add salad, wrap in a soft tortilla.Yum!

club606, Nov 7, 7:12am
x1
our kids love chicken or beef satay on little skewers. I make them in advance, freeze them and hey presto they cook in minutes on the barbie, a quick green salad and some bread rolls and that's all you need.

charlieb2, Nov 7, 7:16am
Last year I sliced up uncrumbed schnitzel and marinated in Terayaki.Then froze.We just stir fried that up on the bbq and then you have a few options depending on your equipment.Serve with riceor wraps...

orcawhale, Nov 7, 7:27am
don't let a bbq put you off cooking other foods. you can pop a pot onto the bbq and other things.

uli, Nov 7, 8:12am
How about taking a cooker too - it can be one of the cheap warehouse ones - which attach to the gas bottle - which I suppose if firing up your BBQ?

tarankyle, Nov 7, 7:44pm
thanks for those ideas. I am going to try & pre-make alot of things and freeze them so it is easier when we are away. Just the first time going camping with kids (5 of them! lol) so want to make it easy as possible & spice it up a bit so it is not the same sort of meals every night.

cgvl, Nov 7, 8:32pm
just a question, do you have a freezer or access to one while camping as this can make it easier or harder.
We take an assortment of tinned foods with us. Quite often have just baked beans or spaghetti on toast for tea.
Sausages with the above are nice too especially for youngsters.
Trying to remember what we took when we were kids (6 of us), think my mum made it a fun thing not to have the usual meat and 3 vege or salad.

bombaloo, Nov 7, 9:05pm
I find the crockpot great. A favourite is to cook a whole chicken in it all day then butterfly it once cooked and crisp up the skin on the BBQ. Cook roast veges in electric frypan to accompany. Yum!! Crockpot is also great for making the beef or chicken filling for wraps, and also I cook the best christmas pudding in it a few times over the Christmas break :)

I also take a rice cooker, electric frypan and a breadmaker :)

orcawhale, Nov 7, 9:08pm
bombaloo? what happens if you are freedom camping?? and there is no power??

we freedom camp now. its great, but then we have a genset and a power inverter

bombaloo, Nov 7, 9:23pm
If you are freedom camping with no power you get a genset and power inverter to run the appliances ;)

orcawhale, Nov 8, 2:33am
you dont take a breadmaker freedom camping. lol

we have a frypan that plugs into 12v.

tarankyle, Nov 8, 3:40am
we will not have power & only have chilly bins to keep food in so we will not be having meat for much longer than a couple of nights.

tarankyle, Nov 8, 3:41am
If we did have power I def would have taken the slow cooker as then that would have made meals soo much easier

fisher, Nov 8, 4:35am
tarankyle...some hints for you...
Make up a stew at home and freeze it.. eat it on the day it thaws.
Take some steak and freeze it and cook it on the day it thaws.
Make some mince and freeze it to put on toast for a breakfast.
Make some rissoles and freeze them and cook on the day they thaw.
Make some chips, precook them till golden at home and then freeze..
Put them on the bbq hotplate after thawed to complete cooking..
Mussels are great straight onto a bbq grill.. turningand eating straight from the shell.. good ole bacon and sausages...
Chilly bin... Get some white "tip top" ice cream containers and fill with water.. Lid on and into freezer.. Use these in your chilly bin and they will last 2 maybe three days...
Don't forget a can opener..:} Torch and batteries.. toilet paper
Use a checklist.. Try to plan menus for the days you will be away camping..
Prepare as much as you can at home before leaving..
Ali foil can be a lifesaver.. wrap food / fish in to cook over bbq.. Par- boil some spuds/kumura , wrap in foil and onto bbq..
You can cook on a gas BBQ.. just grab a couple of cheapo saucepans and a fry pan from the warehouse.. something you can just use for camping.. boil water for coffee or kids hot drinks in the saucepan.. heat up stews.. baked beans.. spaghetti.. peas, beans, carrots, pumpkin, spuds for mashing.. just like you do at home..
Go to a camping shop and get a triangle or grill wire toaster.. for toast.. fry, eggs tomatoes, bacon in the frypan sausages on the bbq.. Ham or luncheon filled rolls for lunches.. ham steaks.. salads for evening meals..
Work out how many days you are going.. work out the daily planner menu.. breakfast .. easy lunches..

charlieb2, Nov 8, 4:42am
A great tip from a lovely friend *waves to fastey* Is to have two chilly bins on the go.So one is your long term storage and should only be opened once per day max.Have another for day to day stuff

We've just invested in a chilly bin that can keep stuff frozen for up to five or six days....

charlieb2, Nov 8, 4:43am
Ohter ways of getting protein without meat... eg: Chilli beans in tins?chilli wraps for dinner.....

chickpeas to make falafel?

fisher, Nov 8, 4:46am
Cook up a chicken and break it up at home.. use this for chicken salad rolls for lunches etc..frankfurters/mustard tomato sauce in rolls for an easy evening dinner... put some chicken into wraps with a nice vege salad.. use some of the mince in a wrap..make up a curry at home and freeze.. boil some rice.. one cup to 11/4 of water and a tsp of salt....lid on... fluff up, mix some turmeric in and some par boiled peas..

coolnzmum, Nov 8, 4:51am
Can't help as we take gas cooker, barbque, stand alone rotisserie, and a barbque pizza cooker as well as a fridge to keep all our food in.

fisher, Nov 8, 4:59am
Hey charlieb2... hows it down there...
Yes you beat me to it... one with frozen gear you need to keep for long periods opened only to get item out.. second and third ones for every day use.. dont suspect they have an expensive chilly bin like my fishing one... or your new one...

fisher, Nov 8, 5:03am
coolnzmum..Don't go camping anymore but we had a three way fridge, put/lifted the big BBQ which has a side burner for cooking into the boat, and also a smaller gas BBQ.. was just like being at home..
did the job for us...lol:}

nabbed, Nov 8, 5:13am
my kids loved toasted sandwhiches when camping I just used the hot plate,and they were my favourite too when I was a kid.You can buy the casseroles in the can with cheese,baked beans another night,my favourite spagetti with cheese.pikelets on the hot plate was good as well