Bananas, bananas and more bananas.. what to do!

deejayrobbied, Oct 26, 9:20pm
I have made banana muffins, cake and loaf.What else can I make with bananas.thanks

uli, Oct 26, 9:37pm
Ice cream - freeze chunked peeled banana. Put frozen chunks into blender or food processor and blend with a bit of cream or yoghurt and any flavourings you like (vanilla, chocolate, cionnamon etc). Serve immediately.

Banana Daiquiri - mix mashed overripe bananas with rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and push through a sieve. Serve in a tall glass with a straw. If too thick add some iced water.

Banana pancakes - mash over ripe bananas with a fork, add eggs, flour and a little sugar (not too much!). Fry small pancakes in butter and top with sugar and cinnamon mixed.

Fried bananas - fry in butter from both sides and serve as a side dish to curries.

Dessert: fry as above and wrap into very thin crepes (and flambe if you like) as a dessert.

There are lots more recipes if you have still some bananas left over after all this.

cookessentials, Oct 26, 9:41pm
I mash extra bananas, drizzle well with lemon juice and freeze them for later use for banana cake or smoothies etc.

245sam, Oct 26, 10:44pm
Or an even easier alternative is to simply freeze the whole bananas (in their skins), then slightly thaw the frozen bananas and mash them when ready to use for banana cake, loaf, muffins.For smoothies and icecream, simply cut the bananas into chunks and brush the chunks with lemon juice to prevent discolouration, then freeze and use directly from the freezer.

For a nice variation on apple sponge pudding try the following.....

APPLE AND BANANA SPONGE PUDDING
2-3 cups stewed apples

Place the apples in a 22cm x 13cm pie dish and place the dish in a preheating 190°C oven to heat whilst preparing the
Sponge Topping:
125g butter
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1 small banana, mashed
¾ cup flour
2 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar.Add the egg and beat well, then add the banana, followed by the flour and baking powder.Mix well, then evenly spoon the mixture on top of the boiling apples.
Bake at190°Cfor30-40 minutes.Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve hot.
Serves 5-6.:-))

rhos1, Nov 1, 8:20am
Rhubarb jam with banana - add the banana slices at the end of the booking so they don't break up. Delicious. Can do the same with orange or lemon added to rhubarb.

issymae, Nov 2, 9:30am
if you can get hold of a dehydrator you could mash up and make fruit rollups

rainrain1, Nov 2, 6:02pm
Feed 'em to the widdle boidies :-)tweet tweet they love them

lynja, Nov 2, 6:19pm
was about to suggest that rainrain. they are really hungry at the moment. just gave my backyard flock some apple cores after stewing some apples. i find they are great for getting rid of excess without feeling guilty about throwing food out.

dairymaid, Nov 3, 8:40pm
Just throw them in the freezer skins and all next time you want to make anything with bananas just take out of freezer thaw out take banana flesh out and put in you muffins, banana cake atc.
The skins will go black but the bananas are fine to use in cooked foods have done this for years and it always works cakes and muffins taste the same as useing fresh one.

245sam, Oct 26, 10:44pm
Or an even easier alternative is to simply freeze the whole bananas (in their skins), then slightly thaw the frozen bananas and mash them when ready to use for banana cake, loaf, muffins.For smoothies and icecream, simply cut the bananas into chunks and brush the chunks with lemon juice to prevent discolouration, then freeze and use directly from the freezer - as also suggested by uli.

For a nice variation on apple sponge pudding try the following.

APPLE AND BANANA SPONGE PUDDING
2-3 cups stewed apples

Place the apples in a 22cm x 13cm pie dish and place the dish in a preheating 190°C oven to heat whilst preparing the
Sponge Topping:
125g butter
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1 small banana, mashed
¾ cup flour
2 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar.Add the egg and beat well, then add the banana, followed by the flour and baking powder.Mix well, then evenly spoon the mixture on top of the boiling apples.
Bake at190°Cfor30-40 minutes.Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve hot.
Serves 5-6.:-))

rhos1, Nov 1, 8:20am
Rhubarb jam with banana - add the banana slices at the end of the booking so they don't break up. Delicious. Can do the same with orange or lemon added to rhubarb.

rainrain1, Nov 2, 6:02pm
Feed 'em to the widdle boidies :-)tweet tweet they love them

uli, Nov 4, 4:52am
And while ellie will disapprove - that I rescued another thread :) - and she is who needs to be consulted before one bumps up any old threads - didn't you know!

I have just harvested 3 huge bunches of bananas today and have about 30 hands sitting here right now looking at me expectantly. So any more recipes people!

motgirl, Nov 4, 5:09am
Send them to me in Brisbane!We have been paying around $10 a kilo for bananas since the January floods devastated the crops here.
Just in the last week or so the price has come down to $5-6 so much better then paying $5.00 for two bananas! Hopefully by Christmas prices should be back to normal- around $1.99

uli, Nov 4, 5:13am
Well when I was over there in July and August they still were A$15! I used to buy 3 ladyfingers for something like 7 dollars LOL :)

uli, Nov 4, 7:13am
Oh thanks davidt4 for "repeating" - and it only uses 3 bananas - but then I can easily double that I reckon - since mine are much smaller. Will report back once I made it.