Your bestest ever 'Ginger Loaf' recipe please

Page 1 / 3
babytears, Sep 24, 8:35pm
Am keen to make one that's nice and moist... thanks so much!

grandma, Sep 24, 11:06pm
Here's a yummy one - makes 3 - eat one, freeze one, give one away! Mix in a large bowl – 2 cups boiling water,250 g cubed butter. Add 2 cups sugar, ¾ cup golden syrup, 2 tsp baking soda.Stir (using a large whisk is helpful).Add 4 tsp ginger, 2 tsp mixed spice, 2 tsp cinnamon, 4 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, Divide into 3 loaf tins (eat one, freeze one, give one away!). ¼ hour @ 180 C then ½ hour @ 160C. Keep testing until skewer comes out clean.Texture better the next day.

grandma, Sep 24, 11:13pm
I have also used this one which is good too (if you only want to make one.)It was posted by Smiley- Cherub's Old fashioned Gingerbread Loaf... copied from her post and re posted by juliewn: It is easy to make and texture is light. 50gr butter, 1 Tbsp golden syrup,1 egg, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1C plain flour, 1tsp baking powder,2tsp ginger, 1tsp mixed spice, 1tsp b/soda, 3/4C milk. In a med saucepan, gently MELT the butter and golden syrup together. Add egg, and sugar - mix well. Sift and mix in all other ingredients EXCEPT the baking soda. Mix the soda into the milk then stir it into the mix. (Mixture will be runny). Pour into a baking paper lined loaf tin and cook at 180 - 190 deg for about 35 mins or ready when tested with skewer etc.Do try them both!

babytears, Sep 24, 11:59pm
Thank you so much grandma.... will try your 1st one today...yum!!!

cookessentials, Sep 25, 12:09am
This is mine off the "Ginger Gems" thread

MOIST GINGER LOAF

1½ cups plain flour
½ cup self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
125g butter, chopped
1 cup golden syrup

Grease two 14 x 21cm loaf pans; line bases and two long sides with baking paper.

Sift flours, soda and spices into a medium-sized bowl. Stir in sugar, eggs and milk until combined.

Place butter and syrup in a small pan; stir over a low heat until butter is melted. Add to batter; stir until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pans.
Cook in a moderate oven, 180C, for about 50 minutes or until cooked when tested. Stand for five minutes; turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Serve bread cut into thick slices.

Makes two loaves.

juliewn, Sep 25, 2:03pm
Hi Grandma..

Was just about to look for Smiley-Cherubs/Dot's recipe and you've posted it.. it is the nicest ginger loaf I've made.. and a firm favourite here..

babytears, Sep 25, 7:29pm
I had every intention of baking yesterday.... my day didn'tgo quite as planned! So hopefully today will be the day!!!

boxsters3, Oct 8, 5:39am
Gingerbread
(a sticky moist gingerbread from Phillip Johnson)
1 1/2 cups (375ml/13fl oz) boiling water
1 cup (250ml/9fl oz) golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
110g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (9 oz) brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups (625g/1 1/31b) plain flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder (Australian tablespoon = 20ml)
3 teaspoons ground ginger
pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 160 C (325 F).
In a saucepan, bring water to the boil.
Remove from heat and stir in golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda. Cool slightly.
Cream butter and sugar until light and pale. Add egg and beat well.
Stir in golden syrup mixture.
Sift together flour, baking powder, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Fold into creamed butter and sugar.

Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and gingerbread springs back when touched.
Leave in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a cake rack.

boxsters3, Oct 8, 5:49am
Annabelle White’s - Easy Gingerbread

(I make with milk rather than buttermilk & with Mixed Spice rather than ground aniseed)

200g butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup golden syrup ( = 370 grams)
3/4 cup milk (or buttermilk)
2 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tspn Mixed Spice ( or ½ tsp. ground aniseed)
2 -3 Tbsps chopped crystallized ginger

Preheat the oven to 160°C.

Place the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and milk in a pan.
Heat until the sugar dissolves. Do not boil.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
When cool, beat in eggs.

Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the crystallized ginger.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the liquid mixture. Stir until just combined. Pour into a greased loaf tin or 20cm square tin.

Bake for 50-55 mins at 160°C.

Annabelle’stips:
When it is warm from the oven it makes a great base for an autumnal fruit compote and clotted cream dessert. Place a warm slice of ginger bread in a bowl, top with a ladle of apricot/pear/prune and apple compote and a dollop of cream. .

Another great suggestion is to serve a slice of this ginger bread as the base for poached pears or tamarillo’s. Just top with thickened cream or custard.

babytears, Oct 8, 5:51am
Awwwwwwwwww yum thanks boxster!

korbo, Oct 9, 6:21pm
why,why, does gingerbread, (my fav loaf) have to have so so so much golden syrup. having to watch my sugar intake, if you cut the amount by half, would you still get a nice loaf. just love gingerbread.

korbo, Oct 9, 6:22pm
the first recipe, do you cream the butter and sugar, or how do you put it together

grandma, Oct 9, 7:28pm
No need for anything fancy like that korbo - the butter melts in the boiling water as you stir it. All the rest of the ingredients are then added (stir or whisk as you go) - easy as pie, do try it.(When the frozen one is defrosted, it's just as though it has just been baked.)

petal1955, Oct 13, 2:51am
Dark Moist Gingerbread

2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp ground ginger
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
100grms butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp molasses
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking soda
½ cup chopped crystallised ginger
Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.Spray a 12 cm x 12 cm loaf tin with baking spray and line with non stick paper. Place spice, flour and baking powder in a bowl.Gently heat the butter, golden syrup, molasses and brown sugar together.Stir until the butter in melted.Add the milk, the mix in the baking soda before stirring in the other dry ingredients.Add the chopped ginger and mix well.Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.Serve in chunky slices.

calista, Oct 15, 3:47am
Cookessentials- I took your recipe with me to Wellington and both my father and brother enjoyed it, but it only made one loaf.

cookessentials, Oct 17, 9:12pm
What size pan did you use calista? as i make it using my Circulon loaf pan which is alot bigger than a standard one and also use a standard loaf tin, which gives me a shallower second one.

calista, Oct 18, 6:56pm
22cm x 12cm -about 6 cups.My loaf tins are inherited form my mother and her cousin. Heaven knows how old they are, but I love using them because of the memories.

cookessentials, Oct 18, 8:52pm
mmm, I would have thought that would be ok. Next time I make them, i am going to try the whole mix in my Circulon loaf tin which is 22x12, the same as yours. I got one decent size, plus a much smaller,shallower one with the rest of the mix in my Baker's Secret medium loaf pan. I also reckon they would be nice done as a muffin instead of a loaf.

cookessentials, Oct 23, 5:21am
The other thing you can also use calista is the eight cup mini loaf pan and make lots of little single serve ones.

liamjosh, Oct 23, 8:39am
I use this one but have always used cold tea instead of just water and it is super moist and very yummy.

cookessentials, Oct 31, 7:22am
Bumping up for ginger loaf recipes

samsnan, Nov 1, 3:03am
Thanks grandma for this one. I made 10 last week to go with all my school gala day baking. People are now asking me for the recipe.

tararenee, Mar 16, 8:31am
Used this recipe today and made it into muffins.It is such a yummy recipe.So light and fluffy.I normally fail big time at making muffins but these turned out perfect.I iced them with butterscotch icing and they were super good :)

lindylambchops1, Mar 16, 8:58am
Sounds yummy!Must do some baking.

guest, May 1, 12:28am
i really need a ginger loaf recipe that doesnt have cloves or mixed spice help?