Your bestest ever 'Ginger Loaf' recipe please

Page 2 / 3
unknowndisorder, Jun 19, 4:09am
bumping for gingerbread recipes

linda125, Jun 19, 4:12am
Thankyou. I had looked on this thread but they all look slightly different to the one I used to make. Will try a different recipe I guess:-)

katienz11, Jun 23, 12:07am
I made the one is #3 - it was okay, but Ive definitely tasted better.I might try one of the other ones soon.

lx4000, Jun 23, 3:53am
Ginger Loaf
50g Butter
3 Tspn Golden Syrup
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Boiling Water
1 Egg
2 tspn Ginger
1/4 tspn BS
1/2 tspn BP
1 C Flour
Place butter, sugar, golden syrup and boiling water in a bowl and stir until melted.
Add egg and whisk briskly (I let it cool down a bit first!)
Add dry and mix.
Place in loaf tin.
30 mins approx at 180
If you love ginger, add some chopped crystallized ginger.
Great with chopped apple and or sultanas also.

melford, Jun 25, 8:45am
thambs up to grandmas ginger loaf, it made two and is soooooooo nice. Thank you for sharing

grandma, Jun 25, 9:18am
A pleasure melford - it's always good to share a successful recipe.

grandma, Jun 26, 9:18am
A pleasure melford - it's always good to share a successful recipe.

rrrg, Jun 29, 9:40am
The first posting by Grandma for gingerbread is the best - its divine.

whiskey13, Jun 30, 2:25am
Bumping so i can find it again when i get home from work :)

babytears, Jun 30, 6:12am
I agree... grandma's first recipe here is damn good.... I now make it often and guess what I have one in the freezer that I put in there Sunday

babytears, Jul 1, 6:12am
I agree. grandma's first recipe here is damn good. I now make it often and guess what I have one in the freezer that I put in there Sunday

susan21, Jul 7, 11:13pm
Made Grandmas first recipe, lovely!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.Thought I would ice one, but wondered what icing would be the best. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!

elliehen, Jul 8, 12:36am
Ginger loaf always looks best with just sifted icing sugar, but a lemon butter icing would go well.

susan21, Jul 8, 1:34am
Great thanks elliehen, sounds lovely.

ruby19, Jul 8, 8:31pm
This is divine
280g (2 cups) flour
200g (1 cup) brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 dessertspoons ground ginger
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
360g (1 plus 1/3 cup) golden syrup
225g butter (roughly diced)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
250ml (1 cup) milk

Method
· Preheat oven to 150°C.

· Grease and line the base of an 11cm x 30cm loaf tin (or alternatively a 23cm square tin).

· Into a large bowl sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon. ( I just stir in the brown sugar to hard to sift!)

· In small saucepan melt golden syrup with butter.

· To the dry ingredients add the golden syrup mixture followed by eggs and milk. Combine ingredients well, using a whisk (this is a very wet mix). Pour into prepared tin.

· Cook in loaf tin for 1 hour 10 minutes (in the square tin for 45 minutes) or until metal cake skewer comes out clean. When cooked leave in tin to cool for 30 minutes or more before turning out.
This apparently freezes well, but will keep for a week in an air tight container. I think this is better as it gets older, great with a good spread of butter on.

lx4000, Jul 8, 8:51pm
ruby19, I agree that ginger loaf improves with age!
Gives the ginger time to settle throu and come out! Make and try and forget it for 3 days if ya can!! I put mine in the freezer then they do mature! hehehehe

susan21, Jul 8, 11:13pm
Made Grandmas first recipe, lovely! Thanks for sharing the recipe.Thought I would ice one, but wondered what icing would be the best. Any thoughts anyone! Thanks!

lx4000, Jul 9, 8:51pm
ruby19, I agree that ginger loaf improves with age!
Gives the ginger time to settle throu and come out! Make and try and forget it for 3 days if ya can! I put mine in the freezer then they do mature! hehehehe

bev00, Aug 15, 8:25am
Gingerbread (cake, loaf or 18 muffins)

100grm butter
3/4c golden syrup
2tsp baking soda
2tsp ground ginger
3/4c sugar
1c milk
2 1/2c flour
1tsp spice

Grease & flour tin or loaf pan or use patty paper cases in muffin tray.
Sift together flour, spice & ground ginger.
Make a well in the centre.
In a medium sized saucepan put butter, sugar & golden syrup.
Melt over a gentle heat.
Take off heat & stir in milk which has the seived soda disolved in it. Mixture will thicken & rise quickly.
Pour at once into the dry ingredients & mix well.
Spread evenly into tin.

Cake - 180c 30-40mins
Loaf - 180c approx 1hour
Muffins - 190c 15mins

I have been making these for 30yrs & never had a failure. I free flow freeze the muffins & after thawing in the microwave for 20secs they make a lovely pudding served with ice cream, custard etc.
My husband will even eat the cake or loaf with a piece of tasty cheese.

Quotesue1955 (192 )10:19 am, Sat 4 Jun

jimdouglas, Aug 18, 6:28am
With any recipe for ginger load that requires golden syrup - replace it with treacle - it is gorgeous :)

babytears, Sep 24, 7:35pm
Am keen to make one that's nice and moist. thanks so much!

grandma, Sep 24, 10:06pm
Here's a yummy one - makes 3 - eat one, freeze one, give one away! Mix in a large bowl – 2 cups boiling water,250 g cubed butter. Add 2 cups sugar, ¾ cup golden syrup, 2 tsp baking soda.Stir (using a large whisk is helpful).Add 4 tsp ginger, 2 tsp mixed spice, 2 tsp cinnamon, 4 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, Divide into 3 loaf tins (eat one, freeze one, give one away!). ¼ hour @ 180 C then ½ hour @ 160C. Keep testing until skewer comes out clean.Texture better the next day.

grandma, Sep 24, 10:13pm
I have also used this one which is good too (if you only want to make one.)It was posted by Smiley- Cherub's Old fashioned Gingerbread Loaf. copied from her post and re posted by juliewn: It is easy to make and texture is light. 50gr butter, 1 Tbsp golden syrup,1 egg, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1C plain flour, 1tsp baking powder,2tsp ginger, 1tsp mixed spice, 1tsp b/soda, 3/4C milk. In a med saucepan, gently MELT the butter and golden syrup together. Add egg, and sugar - mix well. Sift and mix in all other ingredients EXCEPT the baking soda. Mix the soda into the milk then stir it into the mix. (Mixture will be runny). Pour into a baking paper lined loaf tin and cook at 180 - 190 deg for about 35 mins or ready when tested with skewer etc.Do try them both!

babytears, Sep 24, 10:59pm
Thank you so much grandma. will try your 1st one today.yum!

juliewn, Sep 25, 2:03pm
Hi Grandma.

Was just about to look for Smiley-Cherubs/Dot's recipe and you've posted it. it is the nicest ginger loaf I've made. and a firm favourite here.