Your bestest ever 'Ginger Loaf' recipe please

Page 3 / 3
babytears, Sep 25, 7:29pm
I had every intention of baking yesterday. my day didn'tgo quite as planned! So hopefully today will be the day!

grandma, Oct 9, 7:28pm
No need for anything fancy like that korbo - the butter melts in the boiling water as you stir it. All the rest of the ingredients are then added (stir or whisk as you go) - easy as pie, do try it.(When the frozen one is defrosted, it's just as though it has just been baked.)

cookessentials, Oct 17, 9:12pm
What size pan did you use calista! as i make it using my Circulon loaf pan which is alot bigger than a standard one and also use a standard loaf tin, which gives me a shallower second one.

cookessentials, Oct 18, 8:52pm
mmm, I would have thought that would be ok. Next time I make them, i am going to try the whole mix in my Circulon loaf tin which is 22x12, the same as yours. I got one decent size, plus a much smaller,shallower one with the rest of the mix in my Baker's Secret medium loaf pan. I also reckon they would be nice done as a muffin instead of a loaf.

bev00, Nov 2, 11:29am
GINGERBREAD LOAVES WITH BRANDY BUTTER FROSTING

Makes 14 mini loaves.

Usually the gingerbread is made in a large, deep loaf tin but we also love it made as individual servings in mini loaf tins. We like to pipe frosting on to the loaves, and for very special occasions decorate with tiny gold edible balls. With this recipe it is very important not to boil the golden syrup and butter. Allow it to cool before adding to the dry ingredients and because the liquid activates the baking soda, place into a pre- heated oven pronto. Only fill the tins to the amount specified. You can freeze the loaves but without adding the icing sugar sprinkle and the frosting. However, they won't be quite as good as freshly baked.

Ingredients 280g (2 cups) flour

200g (1 cup) brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 dessertspoons powdered ginger

1/2 tsp mixed spice

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

360g (1 1/3 cup) golden syrup

225g butter (roughly diced)

2 eggs (lightly beaten)

250ml (1 cup) milk

70g (10-12 pieces) crystallised ginger (cut into 5mm dice)

50g ( 1/2 cup) toasted walnuts (roughly chopped)

icing sugar to sprinkle

Brandy Butter Frosting

Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.

Grease sides and bases of two trays of 8 mini loaf tins and line bases with baking paper.

Sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon into a large bowl.

In a small saucepan set over a low heat, place golden syrup and butter and melt but do not allow to boil. Cool.

Pour into dry ingredients followed by eggs and milk.

Using a hand whisk, quickly mix ingredients but only till they are mixed. This is a very wet mix.

Ad Feedback Pour into prepared tins to three-quarters full. Sprinkle with ginger and walnuts.

Place into preheated oven and cook for 25 minutes or till a metal cake skewer comes out clean when inserted.

Remove from oven and leave in tins to cool for at least 15 minutes before turning out.

Cool completely, sift icing sugar lightly across the top and frost with Brandy Butter Frosting.

Leg 4

BRANDY BUTTER FROSTING

Makes 360g

Ingredients

115g butter (softened and cooled)

210g (3 cups) icing sugar (sifted)

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

35ml (2 Tbsp + 1 tsp) brandy

Place butter, icing sugar, vanilla and nutmeg into bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed till light and fluffy. Scrape down the side of the bowl and beat again to ensure an even consistency.

Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in brandy until it is entirely amalgamated.

Use immediately or store in refrigerator, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to three days. If storing, bring back to room temperature before applying.

bev00, Nov 19, 11:25am
Ginger Loaf - delicious! 2c flour, 1c milk, 1c sugar, 1 egg, 2 tbs golden syrup, 1tsp ginger, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp mixed spice, butter size of an egg, pinch salt. Beat all ingredients together for 8 mins, then add 1tsp baking soda dissolved in 1tbs boiling water. Pour into loaf pan greased & lined. Bake 180c for approx 30 - 45 mins. Test with a skewer. Enjoy!