Just made my first ever loaf of bread by hand

jody23, Apr 30, 5:21am
and if I do say so myself its not bad!

buzzy110, Apr 30, 5:40am
Congratulations jody. Bread is remarkably easy to make. In fact I think it is the easiest baked product to make at home, we just have forgotten that fact because of easy availability of commercially made bread. It is always nice to hear that someone else has learned this basic truth. I make all our bread requirements from sour dough and we never buy bread at all now. Mine lasts for at least 4 days, before it needs to be toasted, but in the Winter it can stay fresh for up to 7 days.

jody23, Apr 30, 5:46am
thanks :-)It was actually really easy to make, takes a long time from start to finish but most of that is time spent waiting for it to rise which isnt to bad.So yummy fresh and warm with lots of butter

lythande1, Apr 30, 8:11pm
Fun isn't it!! And so yum when it's warm.

corgi731, Apr 30, 8:45pm
yay, well done, makes me want to make some now

jody23, May 1, 12:49am
I had some of it toasted this morning and it was so much nicer than store bought and has kept me filled up for ages!

clair4, May 1, 2:31am
Please share your recipe.I have a breadmaker, but do not like the bread.Thanks

jody23, May 1, 2:33am
its just a white loaf from the edmonds cook book.. pretty basic one, if you dont have the book i can type it out for you

lythande1, May 1, 2:42am
Why? What don't you like about it? We can give loads of recipes but better if you state whats wrong with what you have so far, and what you are aiming for.

wasgonna, May 1, 3:06am
Congratulations ... not for your baking success but for having lots of butter ... yum!

klc1, May 6, 8:26am
Just made that one myself for the first time, it was really yummy.

schnauzer11, May 7, 9:44am
You go,girl!! Who needs a clunky 'bread-machine' cluttering-up the kitchen?!

jody23, May 7, 10:01am
Im going to be making it again this weekend, so easy and the fresh bread smell yum!!

jody23, May 7, 10:01am
i have a bread maker collecting dust in the cupboard but never ever made a nice loaf with it so i just gave up, back to basics so much better

trading_gibsons, May 7, 10:13am
It's fun isn't it, I used to make enough so I could make different sorts a the same time.
One of my favourites is apple pinwheels, just roll out into a rectangle after first proofing spread grated apples (after squeezing excess juice out save) with brown sugar & mixed spice, then roll up long ways & cut into thick slices,place in greased baking tray or casserole dish & let proof again, brush tops with juice from grating apples & sprinkle with brown sugar then cook until they look ready.
usually last two second after coming out of the oven in this house.

jody23, May 7, 10:17am
yum that sounds good!! might have to go grab some apples tommorrow to try it out

helsbelsnz, May 8, 8:05am
Yummm fresh bread with lots of butter =)

I have a breadmaker, but don't bake the bread in there.Yesterday we made bagels, today we made beer bread and donuts.I didn't like the way the breadmaker baked the bread, and getting it out of the pan was a nightmare, but shaping the dough by hand is still rewarding (and delicious!)

jody23, May 8, 8:13am
yeah getting the loaf out of my bread maker was ridiculous, you always ended up with 2 big holes in the bottom