Cakes

Page 19 / 28
brianmac, Jul 19, 5:39am
Coconut Ice Frosting 2 cups icing sugar;1 1/3 cups coconut;2 egg whites,lightly beaten;pink food colouring. Combine sifted icing sugar in a bowl with coconut and egg whites;mix well. If desired,tint pink with a little colouring.

katalin2, Jul 19, 9:50pm
thanks Brianmac love cakes where you don't cream. have in fact made Alison Holst's Love Cake- called that cos you only make it for people you love- takes 3 days.and yes, do have to cream butter. and it has 2 cups of ground almonds in it as well as SR flour and the fruit soaked in brandy. sounds yum. But will try above recipe too.

brianmac, Jul 19, 11:47pm
Triple Choc Orange Cake 125g butter,chopped;1 tbsp grated orange rind;165g caster sugar;2 eggs;150g s.r flour;50g plain flour;2 tbsp cocoa;100g dark choc,finely grated;80ml milk (1/3 cup)130g choc bits. Grease a 20cm ring tin,coverbase with baking paper.Combine butter,rind,sugar,eggs,flours,-
cocoa,choc and milk and beat with electric mixer on low till just combined. Increase to med until mix is smooth & changed in colour cont.

brianmac, Jul 19, 11:49pm
stir in choc bits.Spoon & spread mixture into tin Bake in mod slow oven (160) for about 1 hour.Stand five mins before turning on to rack to cool.Top cake with citrus frosting and orange shreds if desired.

brianmac, Jul 19, 11:51pm
Citrus Frosting 240g icing sugar;1 tsp of grated orange rind (or lemon if using for a lemon cake)30g soft butter;1 1/2 tbsp orange or lemon juice approx.Combine sifted icing sugar,rind and butter in a small bowl. Stir in enough juice to give a spreadable consistency.

jenna68, Jul 20, 7:29pm
Bumping for a trader from General ;o)

aderyn2, Jul 21, 2:42pm
cakes. bump.

marcs, Jul 21, 11:48pm
Ginger Loaf This is out of very old (70's) recipie book so not sure how good it is as I have never made it. 2c flour, 1c milk, 1c sugar, 1 egg, 2tbs golden syrup, 2tsp ginger, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp mixed spice, butter sixe of an egg, pinch of salt. Beat all ingredients together for 8 minutes then add 1tsp baking soda dissolved in 1tbs boiling water.As old books go it doesn't tell me how long to bake it for and what temp so I would say 160c for half hour and check if it is done.

marcs, Jul 22, 12:07am
Let me know how it turns out just use the name provided at ihug.

brianmac, Jul 22, 8:49am
Devils Food Cake Picnic Style In a bowl, sift together 2 cups flour;1/2 tsp baking powder;1 3/4 tsp baking soda;1 3/4 cups sugar;2/3 cup cocoa;1 tsp salt.
Add 2/3 cup soft butter,then pour in 1 cup water.1 tsp vanilla essence.Beat with electric mixer 2 mins on high.Add three eggs and beat 2 mins more on med.Pour into a 33x25x5cm oblong pan lined with greaseproof paper.Bake at 180c for 35-45 mins or until cooked.Ice cold in pan with deluxe choc icing. cont.

brianmac, Jul 22, 8:51am
Deluxe Choc Icing Sift 2 2/3 cups icing sugar;1/3 tsp salt;1/4 cup cocoa add 1/2 cup soft butter and one egg yolk plus 1/3 cup hot water.Beat until smooth & easy to spread. This cake is moist and delicious and big!

tydalelady, Jul 23, 11:36pm
#31 Sultana and Cherry Cake The recipe say to cook for 2 hrs, I cooked one yesterday and only for an hour it was cooked at 160c and tester came out clean and we have started to eat it today and it is fine, so just thought I would query the 2 hours.
Cheers

valentino, Jul 23, 11:41pm
Note, the following recipe is repeated. in that thread "what did you bake last week" or something like that. It is beautiful and keeps for over a week and even tastes better. Truly worth trying and is very highly recommended for something that is extra special or for a special ocassion. Cheers.

valentino, Jul 23, 11:42pm
Moroccan Honey & Mint Syrup Cake.Part1 of 3 Batter; 160g butter softened, 310g sugar, 1 ½ tsp dried or fresh mint, 6 eggs, 230g coconut & 210g Self raising flour.
Preheat oven 150c. Beat butter, sugar & mint until change of colour. Add small quantities of egg, coconut & flour beating well between each addition to prevent mixture from curdling. Repeat until all is used. Line a lightly greased 22cm spring release cake tin with baking powder. Pour in the batter, bake for 1 –1 ½ hours ( you can make the mint syrup during this time). Check the cake is baked by inserting a skewer in the centre. If it comes out clean, cake is ready. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes.

valentino, Jul 23, 11:43pm
Moroccan Cake continued.2 of 3. Mint Syrup; 200ml water, 180g sugar & 1 ½ c roughly chopped fresh mint. Place all in a saucepan, bring to boil stirring to ensure sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat & allow to cool for 30-45 minutes. Strain through a sieve and discard mint leaves. Use the syrup as directed in the following.

brianmac, Jul 24, 4:12am
Zesty Lemon cream Cake 125g butter,chopped;1 tbsp lemon rind grated;220g caster sugar;2 eggs;225g s.r flour;125ml sour cream. Grease a 21cm baba cake pan (or ring tin).Combine all ing in med bowl.Beat on low speed till combined then increase to med until mix is smooth 7 changed in colour.Sppon and spread into prepared tin.Bake in mod oven about 50 mins.Stand a few mins before turning onto wire rack to cool.Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

shula2, Jul 24, 4:41am
katalin2 do you have a food processor! no creaming fruit cake:- 1kg fruit cake mix,1/2 cup liquid - I use gingerale,200g butter,2c flour, 1 cup sugar, tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt,1/4 golden syrup,1/2 milk, 2 sz 7 eggs, Soak fruit in liquid overnight in seald bowl - or ziplock bag.In food processor put flour, butter,baking soda,salt and sugar - pulse until fine crumbs. warm milk and syrup until both just combined, beat in eggs then add in fruit mix and dry ingredients and mix well - DON'T DO THIS IN THE PROCESSOR. Bae in well lined 20cm tin for 21/4 hours @150C

katalin2, Jul 24, 5:25am
thanks shula2, yes I do have a food processor- and I also usually melt butter rather than cream. will try your cake it looks delish. have now tried out several including a condensed milk one from another thread - I changed it around- soaked the fruit in earl grey tea first, it is beautiful.
My family is extremely grateful to be trying out all these lovely fruitcakes as these days I don't have time to bake every week.nice to be told "you are being a real mother again."

valentino, Jul 24, 11:43pm
Moroccan Cake. the final part of 3.The Assembly. Assembly; 75g butter, 180g honey & 180g flaked or slivered almonds. Preheat oven 170c. With the cake still in tin, prick 60 to 75 holes in the top and down into the cake. Pour the mint syrup evenly over the top of cake slowly to allow seepage into cake. Place butter, honey & almonds in a saucepan & melt together stirring until well combined. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat and immediately spread this topping on the cake to cover the whole top. Place the cake back into oven & bake the topping to a light amber colour approx 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool in tin for 20-30 minutes. Remove cake from tin carefully and remove paper gently while still warm. Dust with icing sugar before serving. P.S. Please avoid burning the top upon second time in oven.

shula2, Jul 25, 4:41am
katalin2 do you have a food processor! no creaming fruit cake:- 1kg fruit cake mix,1/2 cup liquid - I use gingerale,200g butter,2c flour, 1 cup sugar, tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt,1/4 golden syrup,1/2 milk, 2 sz 7 eggs, Soak fruit in liquid overnight in seald bowl - or ziplock bag.In food processor put flour, butter,baking soda,salt and sugar - pulse until fine crumbs. warm milk and syrup until both just combined, beat in eggs then add in fruit mix and dry ingredients and mix well - DON'T DO THIS IN THE PROCESSOR. Bae in well lined 20cm tin for 21/4 hours @150C

katalin2, Jul 25, 5:25am
thanks shula2, yes I do have a food processor- and I also usually melt butter rather than cream. will try your cake it looks delish. have now tried out several including a condensed milk one from another thread - I changed it around- soaked the fruit in earl grey tea first, it is beautiful.
My family is extremely grateful to be trying out all these lovely fruitcakes as these days I don't have time to bake every week.nice to be told "you are being a real mother again."

brianmac, Jul 25, 7:57am
bumping up for someone wanting the devils food cake recipe.

wise_one, Jul 25, 8:27am
thanks bumping this so i can find it tomorra to copy more out.

katherine4, Jul 25, 11:31am
Yum, any that are no fail! Thanks

bev00, Jul 26, 8:19am
Simply Moist Chocolate Slice Cake Plenty of almonds and butter give this moist cake a rich flavour ~ 250g Cadburys bournville chocolate (broken into pieces). 250g unsalted butter melted. 5 eggs. 50g muscovado sugar. 125g SR flour. 75g ground almonds.Melt choc and stir in butter. Beat together eggs and sugar until slightly thickened. sift the flour over the mix.add almonds and choc mix. fold in until evenly combined. Bake in prepared square 23cm tin. 160* for 35mins cool.Meanwhile make the chocolate cream~ Heat 150ml cream till almost boiling.remove from heat and add 150g Cadburys bournville chocolate, chopped.leave till choc has melted, then stir until smooth. Leave to cool until thickened. Halve cake horizontally and sandwhich the halves with the chocolate cream + top and sides