Hi cookessentials. i finally got around to making

Page 2 / 3
kamitchell, Jul 3, 4:00am
Thanks for posting the recipe Melford, I am planning on making this tomorrow afternoon for dessert. For those of you who have made it, would it be nice served with homemade vanilla ice cream? That's what I'm planning on serving it with at this stage :) Looking forward to trying it!

griffo4, Jul 3, 8:16am
Thanks cooks l made the pumpkin loaves today and they are really nice
l had some while it was still warm, yum and there is not much left once others smelt it as well it is really nice a tasty and moist, and l have managed to put one in the freezer, thanks again

cookessentials, Jul 4, 7:44am
x1
I made a couple last nigh too! - we have friends coming to stay for a couple of nights, so thought I best have something at hand- Ii have cut one in half and will freeze them and keep one whole one out for the tin.

clair4, Jul 8, 4:18am
I made these loaves on Tuesday and they are lovely. I am going to make some more, but this time I am going to add dates as I think they would be very nice as date & pumpkin loaves. Brumby's in Tauranga sell small date loaves and I think they would taste similar to their loaves. Also smaller tins like the mini loaves would be better for me as a whole loaf will last me a week. Will freeze them. Thanks again for a lovely recipe

cookessentials, Jul 8, 4:29am
You are very welcome. Good to hear of all the great variations too!

wildflower, Jul 8, 4:38am
cookeseentials is your shop in Kuripuni? I'm in Masterton too. I always read your posts, so much useful information! I've just started gardening and have some pumpkins I grew so I'll try this recipe too.

cookessentials, Jul 8, 4:44am
Hi wildflower, you will love the loaves. We bought some great crown pumpkins at the car boot sale in Essex street about 6 weeks ago- a grower with a trailer load. We were talking about the pumpkin loaves and she was going to try it too. yes, you are correct, call in and see us some time. I am glad to be of help ( if and when I can) that's what is so good about the recipe section. I have been saving the seeds from the nice crown pumpkins and will plant some this year. Just going to have to re-arrange the garden a little. Our vege garden was too shaded last year, so we are going to swap it around with the chicken coop so that it gets more sun. Hopefully will also fence it and put chicken mesh on the inside of the fence so we can grow sweet peas, benas and other climbing vege.

vintagekitty, Jul 8, 4:47am
yes cookessentials, you are a treasure

greerg, Jul 8, 9:36am
You are indeed. The parkin is lovely and I have made the pumpkin loaves with cream cheese icing and they were excellent. Amazing how boys who HATE pumpkin can love these so much.

cookessentials, Jul 8, 10:12am
yes, funny that!

elliehen, Jul 8, 10:19am
I used to make pumpkin soup for boys, but renamed it 'Mexican Soup' and didn't say it was made of pumpkin ;)They loved it.

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 8, 10:27am
One extra thought just in case anyone has jumped to the wrong conclusion. I do not know cookessentials in any capacity and will probably never meet her. [/quote] ... . . Shame, your probably closer to Masterton than me! I will get there one day and hope you do too I bet the shop is amazing, but in the meantime I just love crusing through cookware essential website, I have to really control myself or I spend too much money!

calista, Jul 8, 11:05am
Thanks Coookessentials and Lulu (re smaller loaves). I think I have a petite loaf tin so will experiment.

wildflower, Jul 9, 4:06am
I've just been to Parkvale and got a trailer load of mushroom compost for $30 and I won a subscription to NZ Gardener for 6 months so hopefully more pumpkins and a few other things to try this year. We have a lot of clay so I've filled tyres and a bath with compost so fingers crossed. In the last house I lived we had pumkins growing out of the compost bins all the time so that's where my seeds are going!

shellz596, Jul 9, 4:22am
And try this, thank you cookessentials.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 4:47am
You HAVE been busy - the compost is great. Their mushrooms are pretty good too - we often get a large tray of seconds for $10.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 4:48am
Now, Maureen, have you made any sausages with your new grinder attachment? ?

kamitchell, Jul 9, 6:24am
Cookessentials, I just want to tell you how impressed I am with this recipe! ! I made it on Monday, and today 5 days later it is still deliciously fresh & moist! ! You would not believe it was 5 days old unless you made it yourself, so so good :)

cookessentials, Jul 9, 7:24am
Glad you like it kamitchell- the oil keeps it moist. You will find the lemon yoghurt cake recipe is the same. They both freeze really well too.

calista, Jul 11, 12:46am
OK. I've worked out that the recipe should fill 2 medium and 2 petite loaf tins (I did it using cups of water in large, medium and petite tins and found 1 large= 1med+1 petite).

If I cook them in two batches (2 medium tins, then the 2 petite tins), has anyone suggestions on what temperature/s I should set the oven at - non fanbake?

Sorry to be a pain about this, but it's quite a lot of ingredients to risk wasting, and I don't have teenage boys on the spot to eat the disasters. Also I only have one large loaf tin.

TIA

cookessentials, Jul 11, 5:49am
The recipe should fit two med loaf pans calista- they will rise well above the tin also. You would fill each tin about 3/4 full. lulu has done them in the petite loaf pans so should be able too give you accurate times.

calista, Jul 11, 6:04am
Thanks cookessentials. I do have 2 that size. I'm looking forward to making these because I've got in a rut making muffins and variety makes life more interesting.

calista, Jul 12, 5:27am
Ok everyone cross your fingers (and toes) two loaves in the oven now- coming out around 6. 40pm or so - my oven tends to be a bit slow - like me.

The raw mixture was yummy, I love spicy baking. Think I'll make p + ginger soup with the rest of the pumpkin.

cookessentials, Jul 12, 7:05am
calista, make sure you check them. Just poke a skewer or a fine bladed knife into the middle to make sure the centre is cooked. Just leave then in a little longer if needs be.

calista, Jul 12, 7:36am
YUM!

Thanks cookessentials/