Cookessentials

macwood2, Jul 13, 11:34pm
Yesterday I made your pumpkin loaves - they are so good. I made one for the family and one for a friend. Well, i have had to make another 2 today because we have wolfed our way through the 2 originals. Don't know what took me so long to get around to them. Yum yum.
I wanted to ask you if you brine turkeys when you cook them? Have to cook turkey for 30 on Saturday and wondering whether to brine or not. How do you do your turkey? TIA

onamission4, Jul 13, 11:52pm
please share with me how to make pumpkin loaves thanks

cookessentials, Jul 14, 12:17am
Glad you enjoy them, they are certainly tasty! As for turkey, have not cooked many of them and have only ever roasted them without brining, so I am not much use I'm afraid - sorry about that!

lizab, Jul 14, 12:25am
I roasted a turkey this weekend just gone and didn't brine it. I haven't been 'allowed' to have turkey for years! ! ! Hubby hates them, but as I'm from the UK, I bought one for Xmas, but only had it this weekend when he wasn't home lol! ! It was fab and my daughter LOVED the bread sauce that MUST accompany your turkey! ! ! ! So don't forget that =) (ps the pumpkin loaves sound delish! ! ! )

cookessentials, Jul 14, 12:28am
Absolutley, got to have the bread sauce. My Mum does the bread sauce, the sausage meat stuffing. She also does brandy butter and white brandy custard for the pud.

onamission4, Jul 14, 12:29am
thanks very much

macwood2, Jul 14, 10:18am
Cookessentials thanks for your reply. I have made the christmas puddings already (Ruth Pretty recipe) and was going to make brandy custard to accompany. Do you always make brandy butter and white brandy sauce? Can you give me these recipes. Please. Also I have made the pumpkin loaves twice and have only cooked them for a little over an hour each time - not 1 1/2 hours.

cookessentials, Jul 14, 10:21am
Mum does and I can get the recipes from here. We are going up to Auckland on Monday night for a friends funeral on Tuesday and we are staying with Mum and Dad, so I shall ask her for the recipes.

calista, Jul 15, 7:09am
x1
I love the way that everytime someone posts how good the pumpkin loaf recipe is (and it's *really* good) a new person pops up and asks for it.

It must be the fastest spreading recipe in NZ.

macwood2, Jul 15, 10:10am
Cookessentials my catering is this Saturday night. I suppose it is out of the question to get the recipes earlier?

cookessentials, Jul 15, 6:58pm
I shall try and give her a call today

cookessentials, Jul 16, 8:56am
BRANDY BUTTER: Beat 250g unsalted butter(softened) and 185g icing sugar (sifted) with electric beaters until smooth and creamy. Gradually add 60ml of brandy, beating thoroughly. Refrigerate till required. Serve on top of hot Christmas pudding with the brandy or whiskey custard on the side-it will slowly melt into your pudding.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 9:00am
BRANDY SAUCE

55g butter
55g plain flour
570ml milk
55gcaster sugar
5 tbsp brandy

Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the flour and stir to create a thick paste. Cook for 1 minute taking care not to burn.
Using a hand whisk, slowly add the milk, stirring vigorously. Continue whisking until thick smooth sauce is formed (about 5 minutes). Do not have the heat too high or the base of the sauce may burn.
Add the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes stirring from time to time.
Finally add the brandy and serve with the Christmas pudding.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 9:06am
BREAD SAUCE: Serve with roast turkey.
Slice a small onion and combine in a small pan with 315ml milk, 1 bay leaf, 4 black peppercorns and two whole cloves. Bring to the boil over medium heat, then lower heat and simmer for about 10 mins. Strain into a large heatproof bowl and discard onions and flavouring. Add 100g grams of fresh breadcrumbs to the bowl with a pinch of ground nutmeg and 20g butter. Stir until smooth, then season with salt and pepper to taste.

macwood2, Jul 16, 9:40am
x1
You are absolutely amazing and I cannnot thank you enough.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 9:49am
You are most welcome, sorry I was a bit late- it's been one of those days ( well, weeks, actually! )so Brian took me out for a quick bite after work to wind down a bit. All the best for the weekend, hope it goes well. let us know how you go!

cookessentials, Nov 19, 5:45pm
macwood2, how was your dinner?