Breadmakers - what is the best value for money?

kaylin, Jun 22, 10:32am
And which one works? ! I had a perfect baker a few years ago, it was garbage. The bread was always awful. I'm keen to give it another go, what brand is the best? And which one do i avoid?

cgvl, Jun 22, 10:19pm
I have a panasonic and love it, they have just started to bring them back into NZ.
Use breadmakers yeast (tasti brand) but others ok.
I can make 3 different sized loaves and has a delay function so can get up to nice fresh bread. Also can do dough or bake, I don't use all the functions but do have a couple of favourites.

ballito, Jun 23, 3:19am
Definitely Panasonic. I've had mine for years and it still goes well. Don't use it much anymore but get it out about once a once or so. Panasonic are or have bought out a new model in NZ. They were unavailable here for a while.

knickers, Jun 25, 7:12am
agree have had one for 15 years still goes well, no viewing window though, we use it at leat twice aweek

amsandlant, Jun 25, 8:11am
I've got one of the new Panasonic ones, and love it - I use it most days. It is SO much quieter than the others I've had, and once I sorted out my yeast issue (ditched 'breadmaker' yeasts in favour of the sachets) my bread has been working really well:-)

nzhel, Jun 25, 10:45am
x1
Consumer tested them last year - you could probably get a copy at your local library. They didn't recommend any of them this time but found the Tefal pretty good. The new Panasonic wasn't out when they tested. I got a Tefal and have found it very good - had an old Sony before that, - that finally 'called it a day'.
The Panasonic seems to be priced around $300, I got my Tefal for about $100 on special (new). Good luck for whatever you choose!

ferita, Jun 25, 10:48am
I have one and find it easier just to make the bread myself. I can make the dough and knead it in the one bowl, no mess and I can make multiple loaves at once.

letitia, Jun 25, 1:30pm
x1
I have a Tefal which I got with FlyBuys points. I've never had a breadmaker before so have nothing to compare it with, but I'm more than happy with the bread it turns out. Haven't bought bread at all since getting the breadmaker.

wizzbikz, Jun 25, 5:47pm
Got Breville makes bread ok , got one cooking now ready for brecky why up so early on sat morning. Hell the smell of freshly cooked bread at 6. 00am in morning is heaven.

amsandlant, Jun 25, 10:54pm
Gah. Having raved about my new panasonic machine, I tried a fruit loaf in it for the first time this morning, using the auto fruit dispenser, and am not impressed - it might be great for plain white or brown loaves, but not so much for fruit, the fruit did not mix in well at all, most of it is sitting on the bottom of the bread:-(

rog.e, Jun 25, 11:06pm
Truly, the best valie breadmaker here has been themuch-makigned brand Cascade I got fotr $5 ay a garage sale.

Makes great dough for pizzas, buns, breads and so on. :-)

V

buzzy110, Jun 25, 11:59pm
**Gulp**. Like ferita, I find that the best and cheapest brand of breadmaker are those two tools conveniently located on the extremities of my arms. They are eco-friendly, biologically powered, extremely portable, and infinitely flexible as to type and shape of bread you may want to create. there are no storage issues. They come complete with eight powerful digits and two opposable digitswhich are the perfect invention for all sorts of dexterous applications. Cleaning them is as simple as washing with soap and water. They are also free and don't cost anything to run. Nor do they don't take up valuable cupboard or bench space.

Sadly, these magnificent tools are falling into shameful disuse and are being superseded by unintelligent and expensive to buy and run machines and packets of processed materials. I expect we'll see 'spare and unwanted arm extensions' being put up for sale on TM in the near future.

neil_di, Jun 26, 1:58am
buzzy110 wrote:
**Gulp**. Like ferita, I find that the best and cheapest brand of breadmaker are those two tools conveniently located on the extremities of my arms. They are eco-friendly, biologically powered, extremely portable, and infinitely flexible as to type and shape of bread you may want to create. There are no storage issues. They come complete with eight powerful digits and two opposable digitswhich are the perfect invention for all sorts of dexterous applications. Cleaning them is as simple as washing with soap and water. They are also free and don't cost anything to run. Nor do they take up valuable cupboard or bench space... ... ... . .
Yes too true Buzzy but sadly for some. . arthritis has rendered those handy hands next to useless so its PANASONIC for me and thank goodness someone invented the wonderful machine so that all of us could benefit from healthy home madebreads.

korbo, Jun 26, 3:56am
I have a breville, sanyo and a black/decker. all are great and make super loaves. check out my previous recipes. as much as i would love to make real bread, with bad athritic hands this is not so... .

stormbaby, Sep 8, 3:03am
First one I had was a Perfect brand (LV Martin) which wore out. I have had a Breville a few years and we do use it to death. Its been wonderful. I mostly use it for the dough now, either rolls or pizza dough and it would easily get used 2-3 times a week.