Could all you home breadmakers help please? TIA

Page 1 / 2
ange164, Jun 12, 3:14am
I am not an expert. Wait for them to come in overnight.
M2CW is, go for one with a horizontal loaf pan.

kandu1, Jun 12, 3:15am
Thankyou- why the horizontal loaf pan out of curiosity!

ange164, Jun 12, 3:19am
because you can make bacon and cheese loaf, and put cheese all across the top of it. (or nuts/seeds etc.) so that every slice gets some topping. You can't do that in the usual vertical loaf.

kandu1, Jun 12, 3:28am
Aha! Good point! Thank-you :)

klc1, Jun 12, 3:36am
Panasonic is the best. consumer rate it top as well.You can't make jam in it but you can make cakes.

shiyo, Jun 12, 3:42am
yes panasonic! My first lasted 25 years.Then I brought a different brand because they stopped making them. panasonic finally brought them back on to the market and I brought another.

shiyo, Jun 12, 3:44am
but out of the list you gave i would go with the first. It has more size options. The 4th one only does a small loaf

beaker59, Jun 12, 3:52am
Personally I think bread can be easy enough made at home without a breadmaker. There are no knead recipes easy ones but even a std loaf is a very easy thing once you get the hang of it. You can do anything with a bowl, loaf pan, and std oven that a breadmaker can do in the same time and similar level of effort, but I think a bit more satisfaction level with hand made.

Not saying don't get a machine but look at hand made as an option. Maybe start with some simple handmade recipes before you go to the expense of a maker.

biggles45, Jun 12, 4:00am
We have had 3 different brands and sunbeam is the best. One was remington which was ok but not as long lasting as the sunbeam, can't remember the other brand but the paddle lay flat after all the kneading was done, so you didn't have a paddle hole in the bread.that feature didn't work for long!

wasgonna, Jun 12, 4:46am
Panasonic all the way.
Appliance retailers also say Panasonic is the only one to go with.
Other brands obviously work but Panasonic is so reliable. Mine has never missed a beat.
Sunbeam is probably second choice.

tjman, Jun 12, 4:54am
Anyone tried Busy peoples Bread by Annabel Lanbien.I have.It is so simple and easy to make and I cant get enough of it. Tastey.

ibcreative, Jun 12, 4:55am
I would never buy anything but a Panasonic. I have tried bread made in other brands & Panasonic makes by far the best bread.

sherylt, Jun 12, 5:07am
I have the Sunbeam in your first link. I love it and use it all the time. I agree with the above poster that a horizontal bread pan is better, although I mostly tend to use the breadmaker to make the dough then bake in the oven.

I was lucky enough to pick mine up in a garage sale for $40, unused in the box and still done up in cellophane as it had been an unwanted raffle prize - score!

nauru, Jun 12, 5:19am
I have a Breville Breadmaster Big Loaf breadmaker which my daughter was lucky enough to find at a garage sale, it was almost new.It has an oblong loaf pan with 2 paddles and makes 3 different loaf sizes.It makes lovely bread and I often use the dough setting as I like to make different breads and shape and bake it in my oven. I also use the jam setting a lot which I find convenient.

craig04, Jun 12, 5:32am
I have a Breville Ikon which isn't what I would have chosen, but it was a gift. It's been going for 4yrs with no hiccups. It's versatile and makes 750g, 1kg and 1.25kg loaves. It has multiple settings for different breads and I use it to make delicious jam as well. The french setting makes delicious white bread and it makes excellent pizza dough for pizzas and calzone. I also made the best hot cross bun dough ever in it this year

rrrg, Jun 12, 9:04am
None of those and definitley not sunbeam or Breville. I have a panasonic andthree teenage children. My breadmaker gets used about 4 time a week and never a failure. Good for pizza dough as well as lots of other things

kandu1, Jun 12, 10:11am
thanx all :)
I'm looking at panasonic but they seem to have very limited options! I like the look of the sunbeam one too- just seems pricey to me. Why not sunbeam rrrg!

kinna54, Jun 13, 4:50am
I have had my Breville for years. (gift) and am very happy with it. Mine makes a 750 gm and a 1kg loaf. It's got a vertical pan and if I want to do cheese and bacon loaf, or a flavoured loaf, I just use my foccacia recipe made on the dough cycle and use the bacon and cheese topping instead of the foccacia herbs.
I make a spicy fruit loaf in there, and the fruit is always well distributed, but I do get anges point as well: re seed and mixed grain loaves etc.
If buying a new one I would be inclined to go with either the panasonic,or the Breville, but it would pay to check the recipe manuals asBreville has australian cup measures etc, which may need converting to NZ measures.
Good luck and happy bread making.

edited to add: I love the "French setting and french recipes on the Breville, (the bread is much lighter and crustier) although Daughter in law uses my Breville French recipe successfully in her panasonic.

evorotorua, Jun 13, 7:56am
With 6 in the family, you may have trouble keeping up with demand. I would suggest getting a machine with a good motor and strength to handle a double quantity of ingredients. Load it up, put it onto the Dough cycle only and when that is done, take the dough and put it into two bread pans, leave those to rise and bake in the oven for half an hour. The benefits are that you have two loaves, they are oblong and will slice easier into normal type slices and that you will actually have enough to feed everyone. Of course it is a little harder on the motor and you have to stick around to take the dough out etc. However, if you have the time then I would definitely do that and get a Panasonic which can handle the job. I have done this method for years and we still love the result!

kandu1, Jun 13, 9:39pm
Thankyou evorotorua- I intend to use it mainly for ''nice'' bread as it would be cheaper to buy homebrand bread for everyday toast and sarnies, but I miss decent homestyle bread especially in winter when we eat allot of soup's and gravy's.
When I was growing up Sunday lunch was our treat- we got fresh shaved ham, coleslaw and/or salad, and gorgeous fresh bakery bread! Now the bakery breads are so dissapointing and I think maybe if I made my own I could recapture that delight!
So yes- I'll be using it for dough only allot. But I hadn't actually thought about the ability to make two loaves in half time- thankyou, makes sense!
I'm pretty sure that I'm set on the sunbeam quantum due to its 1.5 kg horizontal loaf, (panasonic only do smaller upright options!) And 100% sell them for $233 so thats a more reasonable price too.
Thanks for all the advice guys :) Have a fabulous day!

nzhel, Jun 15, 4:02am
I have only just got a Panasonic - my dear old Sanyo finally died a while back. So far I have been thrilled with the bread made with the Panasonic. There are 3 size options for a lot of the recipes - M,L or XL. I've found I prefer the upright loaf too as you can cut a lot of slices before getting to the hole where the blade was.
Made a Curry and Onion loaf the other day from the manual which was delicious!

nauru, Jun 15, 4:16am
Hi would you be willing to share your recipe, thanks!I have a curry/onion loaf I make but would be interested in any other recipes.

fifie, Jun 15, 5:59am
Each to their own, have had a Panasonic for years made lots of different kinds of bread and never had a failure yet. i have made banana, gingerbread loaves etc to and they are good as well.

nzhel, Jun 15, 10:31am
This may be the one you've got - it is out of the Panasonic manual with ingredients for 'Aust customers' so I adapted it and it was delicious. I am not a curry fan, but the flavour was very delicate.

Put the ingredients in the breadmaker in this order and this makes an XL sized loaf.

4 teasps Surebake yeast
600 grms white flour
1½ teasps salt
3 tablesps milk powder
2 tablesps butter
2 teasps sugar
2 tablesps curry powder
2 tablesps dried onion flakes (I actually put a lot more in)
420mls water
Cook on setting '01' on a Panasonic which takes 4 hours.

nauru, Jun 17, 12:26am
Thanks nzhel, will give it a try, it is Yum with soup in the Winter adn makes good toast too.The recipe is a little different to the one I have.Same ingredients just different quantities with the addition of1 Tablsp mixed herbs and 1 teasp ground cumin.