SCONES

Page 1 / 2
lespat, Jun 20, 1:11am
Help. Why can't either my other half or me make a decent scone. Just tried BEST RECIPIES stay fresh scones for second time & worse effort than last batch. Same with other recipies. Don't rise & doughy. Not keen on the can of soda methods.

holz22, Jun 20, 1:12am
Is your baking powder fresh? Are you over mixing? Once the dough is JUST mixed thru not to over handle it

waswoods, Jun 20, 2:33am
Don't roll them out thinly, pat until about 3cm thick and put them quite close togehter on the baking tray so they go up not out (if that makes sense)

lespat, Jun 20, 2:43am
Okay, yes fresh BP but I kneaded the dough quite a bit & rolled to about 2cm as per recipe. Too thin you reckon?

tickandnans, Jun 20, 2:51am
You dont need to knead the scone mix just mix the mix with a knife then turn out onto a board pat down 3cm thick put in a hot oven about 200 - 220 for 10 mins or untill lightly brown

dbab, Jun 20, 3:05am
Make sure all your ingredients are cold, and work as quickly as possible. . Don't knead the mix - just bring it together and pat it out on a lightly floured surface before cutting into squares. As previous poster said, place close together on tray.

lespat, Jun 20, 3:26am
Thanks, will give that a go.

nzmu, Jun 20, 3:43am
sure fire scones:
put all dry ingredients into bowl with 2Tbsps milk powder, mix together, rub in butter. Now quickly add in the liquid, but swap the milk for warm water. Mix quickly, turn out, cut and cook.

fifie, Jun 20, 8:25am
1 Put tray in oven to heat, 2 Use Self raising flour, 3 Grate cold buter from fridge into them, 4 Wait till oven is heated 200-220c then work quickly add liquid just mix with a knife to a soft dough, quickly turn out on to a floured boardDON"T knead or handle to much pat out till about 1/2 inch thick, cut into squares or make your round shapes, put on the hot tray just touching slightly cook about 10 mins till golden. Remove from oven and put on one half of a clean tea towel then flip the other half on top to keep the moisture in as your scones cool down, you should have nice thick fluffy scones. . Good luck keep trying...

cookessentials, Jun 20, 10:10am
dont play with the dough - work quickly with it and pat it into the required thickness. I only ever make buttermilk scones now as they are always good keepers and so soft. Let me know if you want the recipe.

rasin11, Jun 20, 11:06am
Yes please I've been looking for buttermilk recipe for awhile. My friend used to make them but she has died so my scones did too! !

rainrain1, Jun 20, 7:18pm
Here you go... ... . ! !

Date and lemon Scones

150mls milk
150mls cream
1 egg
(Beat these 3 ingredients together)

Mix together 3 cups selfraising flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup chopped dates
Zest of one lemon
Pour milks into dry ingredients and give a good old mix.
Lightly kneed and make a 2" high shape
Use a large round cutter or knife.
Glaze with milk and sugar
Cook on tray with flat side up until golden brown hot oven 10 - 15 minutes. Oven 200

ferita, Jun 20, 7:20pm
Never ever knead the dough. Form it, but never knead it

ferita, Jun 20, 7:20pm
Kneading the dough forms gluten which makes the scones stodgy and heavy

ruby19, Jun 20, 8:17pm
I find this recipe works well, and I am not a scone maker, perhaps it is the egg? I chop very finely 1 small red onion to this mixture , and add a sprinkling of Cayenne to mixture instead of the adobo sauce. also I just pop dry ingredients in to food processor, until mixed then add wet and just mix until combined, empty out onto floured board and just bring together. I cook it into 1 large scone that I have scored lightlyinto portion sizes/

2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon water, chipotle chile, and egg; stir just until moist. Knead in bowl with lightly floured hands just until dough forms.

Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 6-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut each circle into 6 wedges; arrange wedges 1 inch apart on pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until browned. Serve warm.

cookessentials, Jun 21, 12:56am
BUTTERMILK SCONES

Buttermilk Scones.
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

lespat, Jun 21, 1:58am
What is buttermilk & can you use plain flour/bp & ordinary sugar? Also can you add sultanas or dates?

kaydee16, Jun 21, 3:36am
I've always put the scones on a cold tray. A poster above puts them on a hot tray. Might try heating up my pizza stone and see if that gives them a head-start.

cookessentials, Jun 21, 3:48am
buttermilk is the left over liquidfrom making butter. The baking soda will give you a lightness in your scones. it is well worth trying it as is. No reason why you cannot add some sulatans or raisins if you wish, but perhaps get to grips with the recipe and good scones and then make changes to suit yur tastes from there.

worrit, Jun 21, 3:59am
Why don't you try the Idiot Proof scones, they are brilliant!

wildflower, Jun 21, 4:29am
I had a woman who was a great cook tell me to add a egg. I'm not a scone maker either but I'm going to try the recipe out of Allyson Gofton's Bake book as I can't seem to go wrong with her recipes. Must be idiot proof

waswoods, Jun 21, 5:30am
2 c flour
4 teasp baking powder
pinch salt
few teasp sugar if you want sweet scones
mix up 1 egg, 1/4 c oil and enough liquid to make one cup. (I use yoghurt, sour cream, cream or whatever) Quickly mix the wet and dry, tip onto a floured surface, pat out and cut shapes. Bake at 200 degrees for 10 - 15 mins. Mine never fail

wilfar, Jun 21, 10:29am
I think the secret is not to overmix or overhandle. Pretend your fingers are feathers and handle very lightly.

worrit, Jun 22, 10:03am
Idiot proof Scones. Here it is again for anyone.
Melt 50gms butter in a microwave jug. Let cool a little and break 1 egg into it and top up with milk to = approx 1 3/4 cups liquid. Mix well with a fork. Add by mixing with a knife to 3 large cups self raising flour. Bake 230 for 10 mins. You can add a bit of sugar and fruit or cheese or whatever you feel like.
These are really lovely.

julmar, Jun 22, 9:32pm
used to make small windowless buildings lol. perhaps try this.

Always use cold milk & grated butter.

treat the dough like flakey pastry. Don't kneed it much, just bind and pour onto a floured board. Press down. Cut mix in half and lay on top. Presee down. cut in half and lay on top. Repeat 4-6 times then cut and bake.

I always bake ona cold oven tray in a hot oven.

always come out like layers of pastry that can be puled apart. Rise well and are nice cold.

My daughter is a chef and tells me that I am breaking all the gluten rules with my method and shakes her head when they come out layered yet fluffy lol