Crumbed schnitzel how

Page 2 / 3
jag5, Jun 17, 11:50pm
I do find cooking just in oil a bit harsh on it.I always cook my schnitzel (home crumbed) in a mix of oil and butter....much nicer.And as above, rapid cook.Mine is barely 1 minute each side.Done.

blt10, Jun 17, 11:58pm
Good tips in here for some who may need

iman007, Jun 18, 12:02am
exactly the way i do it,im impressed, you been looking in my kitchen window?
lol

fifie, Jun 18, 12:31am
Best schnitzel, crumb your own with fresh breadcrumbs and a fewherbs whizzed up. Dust schnitzel in flour then dip in beaten egg, and coat in breadcrumbs.. Rest for1 hour or more in the fridge, so crumbs set to the meat. In a frying pan put a little oil and a cube of butter ( this flavours meat better) heat it up till hot put schnitzel pieces in cook one side DON"T TURN about a minute or so, then flip over other side and cook. Cooking times i find vary slightly depending on thickness of your meat.

lythande1, Jun 18, 2:00am
Pan too hot. Turn it down.

wasgonna, Jun 18, 2:06am
I've never floured the meat first. Just beaten egg then crumbs then into fridge to set. Nothing falls off in frying pan. As for supermarkets they use milk before crumbs.

kinna54, Jun 18, 2:11am
If it's the prepackaged stuff, like the "Leader" brand products, if that's what you mean, then they are fine oven baked.
If it is pre-packed supermarket crumbed schnitzel then make sure it is well refrigerated, oil or chefade hot, and deep enough to cover, so you don't have to turn, handle as little as possible. When removing from pan, use tongs rather than an egg slice, handee towel to drain, and double handee towel between layers, to absorb any moisture. try to serve as soon as you can after cooking, rather than leaving it sitting in an oven or warming drawer.

four.mcs, Jun 18, 2:42am
Yeah, I don't flour mine either. I think the secret, like some said, is to let the meat rest for a bit, to 'adhere' the crumbs to the meat. The moisture is absorbed into the crumbs, and it's like a glue.

kiwibubbles, Jun 18, 3:26am
you could try putting a layer of baking paper in the frying pan before adding some oil - stops the breadcrumbs sticking.

twinsforus, Jun 18, 3:36am
Most supermarkets don't even put batter on their schnitzel to hold the crumbs on, just chuck the meat straight into the crumbs (I know because I used to work in a supermarket meat dept!).
You really are best to make your own. If you don't have time to do it on the day, crumb it when you buy it, then freeze it flat....all ready to go.

razell, Jun 18, 7:47am
I have also worked in a supermarket butcher shop and they did egg the meat before the crumbs.

I have found cooking under the grill to be effective - a quick spray with coking oil helps brown things up.

kiwikidd77, Jun 18, 8:57am
does one cook it so the crums stay on the schnitzel!

Mine either comes off or goes blacker than the ace of spades.

nanasee1, Jun 18, 9:03am
Once crumbed allow the meat to 'rest' in the fridge for an hour. This sets the crumb mixture & stops the crumb falling off. Have pan moderate to hot & turn once, if necessary finish off in a hot oven, but the steak is really thin so should cook quickly without the extra oven time.

bcnd, Jun 18, 9:12am
Don't cook it with a lid on your frying pan. It will make the crumbs go soggy & fall off. I sprinkle a wee bit of salt on the top & cook it on a medium heat

peasandlove, Jun 18, 10:13am
do you mean pre-crumbed schnitzels! if so, why not try making your own!

gnome25, Jun 18, 10:36pm
The precrumbed schnitzel you buy from the supermarkets always has the crumb fall off when you cook it.It's because they don't flour the meat first (too time consuming for them).

Dipping it in flour, then egg makes a glue that keeps the crumbs on when you cook it,I make my own and it never falls off when cooking.Although, I too, rest it for an hour or two after crumbing. or do it the night before while watching telly.

jag5, Jun 18, 11:50pm
I do find cooking just in oil a bit harsh on it.I always cook my schnitzel (home crumbed) in a mix of oil and butter.much nicer.And as above, rapid cook.Mine is barely 1 minute each side.Done.

iman007, Jun 19, 12:02am
exactly the way i do it,im impressed, you been looking in my kitchen window!
lol

ziggy16, Jun 19, 12:22am
I used to do the whole flour egg breadcrumb thing then a friend said one day why waste your time putting the flour on just egg and breadcrumb and you know what it makes no difference so now I save my time and money and just dip in egg then breadcrumbs or stuffing mix as I like it that way yum no coating falls off for me

fifie, Jun 19, 12:31am
Best schnitzel, crumb your own with fresh breadcrumbs and a fewherbs whizzed up. Dust schnitzel in flour then dip in beaten egg, and coat in breadcrumbs. Rest for1 hour or more in the fridge, so crumbs set to the meat. In a frying pan put a little oil and a cube of butter ( this flavours meat better) heat it up till hot put schnitzel pieces in cook one side DON"T TURN about a minute or so, then flip over other side and cook. Cooking times i find vary slightly depending on thickness of your meat.

beaker59, Jun 19, 1:00am
I also don't flour and never have the crumb fall off. I do rest the crumbed meat well before frying but I also beat the shnitzel well before dipping in the egg and then soak in egg for 30 min before crumbing the meat absorbs most of the egg.

wasgonna, Jun 19, 2:06am
I've never floured the meat first. Just beaten egg then crumbs then into fridge to set. Nothing falls off in frying pan. As for supermarkets they use milk before crumbs.

kinna54, Jun 19, 2:11am
If it's the prepackaged stuff, like the "Leader" brand products, if that's what you mean, then they are fine oven baked.
If it is pre-packed supermarket crumbed schnitzel then make sure it is well refrigerated, oil or chefade hot, and deep enough to cover, so you don't have to turn, handle as little as possible. When removing from pan, use tongs rather than an egg slice, handee towel to drain, and double handee towel between layers, to absorb any moisture. try to serve as soon as you can after cooking, rather than leaving it sitting in an oven or warming drawer.

four.mcs, Jun 19, 2:42am
Yeah, I don't flour mine either. I think the secret, like some said, is to let the meat rest for a bit, to 'adhere' the crumbs to the meat. The moisture is absorbed into the crumbs, and it's like a glue.

twinsforus, Jun 19, 3:36am
Most supermarkets don't even put batter on their schnitzel to hold the crumbs on, just chuck the meat straight into the crumbs (I know because I used to work in a supermarket meat dept!).
You really are best to make your own. If you don't have time to do it on the day, crumb it when you buy it, then freeze it flat.all ready to go.