Crumbed schnitzel how

Page 1 / 3
kiwikidd77, Jun 17, 8:57am
does one cook it so the crums stay on the schnitzel?

Mine either comes off or goes blacker than the ace of spades.

gildon, Jun 17, 9:00am
I always dip the pieces of meat in flour first, then beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs. Have the pan fairly hot and only turn it once. It only takes a minute or two each side.

ramones67, Jun 17, 9:02am
check

nanasee1, Jun 17, 9:03am
Once crumbed allow the meat to 'rest' in the fridge for an hour. This sets the crumb mixture & stops the crumb falling off. Have pan moderate to hot & turn once, if necessary finish off in a hot oven, but the steak is really thin so should cook quickly without the extra oven time.

kiwikidd77, Jun 17, 9:03am
Sorry Ffolks should have been more specific.

I was meaning the schnitzel you get from the supermarkets.

bcnd, Jun 17, 9:12am
Don't cook it with a lid on your frying pan. It will make the crumbs go soggy & fall off. I sprinkle a wee bit of salt on the top & cook it on a medium heat

peasandlove, Jun 17, 10:13am
do you mean pre-crumbed schnitzels? ? if so, why not try making your own?

reia, Jun 17, 11:01am
Hot oil in the pan or pre heat oven and dish before adding meat.

If using a frying pan - Cook the schnitzel on one side in the hot oil for about two minutes then turn down the heat, cook a further 1 minute or so then turn over and cook the other side for 2 - 3 minutes.

gnome25, Jun 17, 10:36pm
The precrumbed schnitzel you buy from the supermarkets always has the crumb fall off when you cook it. It's because they don't flour the meat first (too time consuming for them).

Dipping it in flour, then egg makes a glue that keeps the crumbs on when you cook it, I make my own and it never falls off when cooking. Although, I too, rest it for an hour or two after crumbing... or do it the night before while watching telly.

jag5, Jun 17, 11:50pm
I do find cooking just in oil a bit harsh on it. I always cook my schnitzel (home crumbed) in a mix of oil and butter... . much nicer. And as above, rapid cook. Mine is barely 1 minute each side. Done.

fifie, Jun 18, 12:31am
Best schnitzel, crumb your own with fresh breadcrumbs and a fewherbs whizzed up. Dust schnitzel in flour then dip in beaten egg, and coat in breadcrumbs. . Rest for1 hour or more in the fridge, so crumbs set to the meat. In a frying pan put a little oil and a cube of butter ( this flavours meat better) heat it up till hot put schnitzel pieces in cook one side DON"T TURN about a minute or so, then flip over other side and cook. Cooking times i find vary slightly depending on thickness of your meat.

konini2, Jun 18, 2:54am
I think that the other little trick is to "snip" the schnitzel a few times around the edges to stop it from "curling" when it is in the pan

twinsforus, Jun 18, 3:36am
Most supermarkets don't even put batter on their schnitzel to hold the crumbs on, just chuck the meat straight into the crumbs (I know because I used to work in a supermarket meat dept! ).
You really are best to make your own. If you don't have time to do it on the day, crumb it when you buy it, then freeze it flat... . all ready to go.

lythande1, Jun 18, 4:23am
You pan is too hot then.

razell, Jun 18, 7:47am
I have also worked in a supermarket butcher shop and they did egg the meat before the crumbs.

I have found cooking under the grill to be effective - a quick spray with coking oil helps brown things up.

dalbyj, Jun 18, 9:19am
when crumbing your own schnitzel, it is also helpful to 'dry' the meat in paper towels before crumbing it

kiwikidd77, Jun 17, 8:57am
does one cook it so the crums stay on the schnitzel?

Mine either comes off or goes blacker than the ace of spades.

gildon, Jun 17, 9:00am
I always dip the pieces of meat in flour first, then beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs.Have the pan fairly hot and only turn it once.It only takes a minute or two each side.

ramones67, Jun 17, 9:02am
check

nanasee1, Jun 17, 9:03am
Once crumbed allow the meat to 'rest' in the fridge for an hour. This sets the crumb mixture & stops the crumb falling off. Have pan moderate to hot & turn once, if necessary finish off in a hot oven, but the steak is really thin so should cook quickly without the extra oven time.

kiwikidd77, Jun 17, 9:03am
Sorry Ffolks should have been more specific.

I was meaning the schnitzel you get from the supermarkets.

bcnd, Jun 17, 9:12am
Don't cook it with a lid on your frying pan. It will make the crumbs go soggy & fall off. I sprinkle a wee bit of salt on the top & cook it on a medium heat

peasandlove, Jun 17, 10:13am
do you mean pre-crumbed schnitzels?? if so, why not try making your own?

reia, Jun 17, 11:01am
Hot oil in the pan or pre heat oven and dish before adding meat.

If using a frying pan - Cook the schnitzel on one side in the hot oil for about two minutes then turn down the heat, cook a further 1 minute or so then turn over and cook the other side for 2 - 3 minutes.

gnome25, Jun 17, 10:36pm
The precrumbed schnitzel you buy from the supermarkets always has the crumb fall off when you cook it.It's because they don't flour the meat first (too time consuming for them).

Dipping it in flour, then egg makes a glue that keeps the crumbs on when you cook it,I make my own and it never falls off when cooking.Although, I too, rest it for an hour or two after crumbing... or do it the night before while watching telly.