Schnitzel von crumb

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, Jul 25, 11:55pm
do you coat your schnitzel with fresh or toasted breadcrumbs?I always make my own and toast the bread first, just wondering what others do?

julz29, Jul 26, 12:28am
Schnitzel Von crumb with a very low tum....I use toasted

datoofairy, Jul 26, 12:30am
and Bitzer Malony, all skinny and bony.I rubgarlic all over toast and then crumb it. Yum.

beaker59, Jul 26, 12:33am
I make my own breadcrumbs from spare bread dry in oven then whizzz up I save the sourdough breadcrumbs for my crumbed schnitzel though, lots of flavour perfect for this and too powerful for fish.

I beat my schnitzel well then soak in well salted beaten egg for 5 min before dipping in the breadcrumbs(no flour) if you beat the schnitzel well it will absorb most or all of the egg.

lx4000, Jul 26, 12:42am
stalebread or oven dried stale bread then wizz in blender:)

gjnalm, Jul 26, 12:43am
Hercules Morse as big as a horse, I use toasted breadcrumbs

rainrain1, Jul 26, 1:41am
lol thanks,still I might try it with fresh breadcrumbs and herbs one day.
Over and out ........ Muffin McLay

shop-a-holic, Jul 26, 3:44am
I use Greggs Stuffing Mix (Homestead) as breadcrumbs.

buzzy110, Jul 26, 4:06am
The things ones learns. What a fantastic tip - soaking the breadcrumbs in the egg. This is definitely going into my list of things I absolutely have to remember. It saves one whole step in the tiresome crumbing procedure.

patsprat, Jul 26, 4:39am
Bottomly Potts, all covered in spots.....
Sorry, couldn't resist.I often mix half panko (japanese) breadcrumbs with regular bought ones for an extra crunch. But homemade ones are best, all those end bits of different breads - sourdough, ordinary old toast, Vogels etc , I save them up (toss in a plastic bag & into the freezer) and every now and then, on a rainy day, get them out, crumble them up and toast the mix in the oven.Cool & keep in an airtight container. Nice.

buzzy110, Jul 26, 5:22am
I think I got a little excited here. Either way soaking the schnitzel in egg (rather than the b/crumbs in egg) still saves one step and probably stops the coating from falling off in large pieces as well.

I usually do it all at the last minute so if I can have the egg soaking into the schnitzel before hand, that would stop all the last minute rush as I do each piece as it goes into the pan.

kinna54, Jul 26, 10:17am
Muffin Mclay like a bundle of hay......!! like others I make my own crumbs, as I find packaged products a bit too fine for my liking, I prefer a slightly coarser crumb. I still do the flour thing, as I season the flour coating with herbs, salt and pepper, then dip in the eggand crumbs. I always flour and chill, at least 10 mins, (depending upon how much time I have,) as colder meat always crumbs better,before doing the egg and adding the crumbs, especially for beef, although for some reason pork schnitzel seems to coat easier? and I always coat and crumb and refrigerate at least an hour prior to cooking, prevents the coating falling off. I do this when crumbing chicken as well.

elliehen, Jul 26, 11:03am
And Scarface Claw sent them all packing... but the tough Tom could be quivering in his cat bed if he gets wind of this item:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/international/5337677/Where-cat-sits-happily-on-the-menu

buzzy110, Jul 26, 11:41am
Mmm. I've never thought to chill my meat before cooking. I'm from the school of thought that meat is best brought to room temperature before cooking begins. But I'll certainly try it next time I do crumbed schnitzel. It would be brilliant if I have guests (only time I'd do it really). Means I can have it all ready to go.

datoofairy, Jul 26, 11:44am
I chill all crumbed meat or fishbefore cooking.I find it keeps the crumbs on and helps make a crispy, crunchy coating.

rainrain1, Jul 26, 7:35pm
thank goodness someone remembered to feed Hairy Maclary :-)

jag5, Jul 26, 7:39pm
and Parmesan added to the crumbs.......wonderful.....and-
cook in a mixture of butter and oil.....really crunchy....

maynard9, Jul 26, 10:11pm
I had sesame seeds to mine too for extra flavour and crunch

rainrain1, Jul 26, 10:18pm
Yum yum, said the real Schnitzel von Krumm

elliehen, Jul 26, 11:40pm
...with a very low tum??

rainrain1, Jul 26, 11:55pm
do you coat your schnitzel with fresh or toasted breadcrumbs!I always make my own and toast the bread first, just wondering what others do!

julz29, Jul 27, 12:28am
Schnitzel Von crumb with a very low tum.I use toasted

macandrosie, Jul 27, 12:30am
and hairy mcleary from donaldsons dairy!
I coat mine in flour by tossing meat & flour in a plastic bag, then dip in beaten egg, then coat with dried, toasted breadcrumbs. I thinkthe dried toasted breadcrumbs seem to come out finer than fresh breadcrumbs & stick better.

rainrain1, Jul 27, 1:41am
lol thanks,still I might try it with fresh breadcrumbs and herbs one day.
Over and out . Muffin McLay

patsprat, Jul 27, 4:39am
Bottomly Potts, all covered in spots.
Sorry, couldn't resist.I often mix half panko (japanese) breadcrumbs with regular bought ones for an extra crunch. But homemade ones are best, all those end bits of different breads - sourdough, ordinary old toast, Vogels etc , I save them up (toss in a plastic bag & into the freezer) and every now and then, on a rainy day, get them out, crumble them up and toast the mix in the oven.Cool & keep in an airtight container. Nice.