Chelsea winter schnitzel

mommabean, Jun 5, 4:36am
My sister has talked to me about a Chelsea winter recipe with schnitzel and cheese have come across a crumbed one but apparently this isn't it. Does anyone know what recipe she could be talking about and where I might find it

245sam, Jun 5, 4:47am
mommabean, is this the recipe you're wanting?

http://chelseawinter.co.nz/sutffed-bbq-rolls/

Hope that's the one (and by the way that link was copied & pasted - the spelling is not mine). :-))

mommabean, Jun 5, 5:05am
Oh my goodness yum thankyou

fishplants, Jun 5, 5:07am
x1

cmw1983, Jun 5, 7:10am
Or is it the lamb schnitzel and mozzarella recipe? Even if not, that one is absolutely yummy, it's on the CW website :-)

awoftam, Jun 5, 8:05am
Opps sorry posted after you did. I make this - it is amazing. I stuff the schnitzel with bacon and mozzarella then crumb and fry in a butter and herb oil mix. Stunning.

buzzy110, Jun 5, 10:57pm
Do you pre-cook the bacon? Do you do it how Chelsea does (crumb, cook and then pile stuff on and bake) or do you roll the schnitzel around the filling?

awoftam, Jun 6, 7:57am
No, I don't precook it. Can use ham, pancetta or anything like that really. Lay the schnitzels on a board, place a slice of ham/bacon or whatever and cheese on one half and fold the other half over to make a parcel, press the edges together well. Crumb well (I use panko and add sesame seeds), and put in fridge for 30 minutes before cooking to set.

buzzy110, Jun 6, 8:00pm
Thanks. Having this tonight. Off to buy the ingredients.

awoftam, Jun 7, 12:43am
Serve it with a bechamel with a cup of grated parmesan in it. Divine.

buzzy110, Jun 7, 3:13am
OK. Cheese sauce with paprika was the sauce that my Hungarian friend always served us as an accompaniment with his Wiener Schnitzel.

buzzy110, Jun 7, 11:18pm
awoftam - The dish went down a treat. DH very impressed and had seconds. He's put in an order for it to become a regular. So thanks heaps.

p.s. My dumb supermarket has never heard of pancetta. I used prosciutto. Next time I might try ham as you have suggested and maybe blue cheese.

I wonder what other things I could use to stuff schnitzel with.

awoftam, Jun 7, 11:42pm
That is great! I know people I have made it for cry out for more more more! A good quality ham would be great - and cheaper than proscuitto (also easier to slice through, probably). Its just cordon bleu schnitzel, an oldie but a goodie.

I reckon you could have fun trying different things to stuff schnitzel with - what about some roasted peppers and cheese?

buzzy110, Jun 7, 11:55pm
Great idea about the roasted peppers. I was trying to think of something that would go with anchovies because I love anchovies- (yes I know that is weird) but roasted peppers with ham and cheese would be delish I think. I'll try not to get to far away from the original idea though because that is the recipe that had my DH in raptures and it is so easy to do.

awoftam, Jun 8, 1:27am
A lunch dish I had at Soul restuarant in Auckland was schnitzel with anchovies and an egg. Stunning.

buzzy110, Jun 9, 1:25am
Just curious, how was the egg cooked (fried, boiled, poached, scrambled, omelette style) and how were the anchovies served (whole, finely cut up, as a paste)? Was the schnitzel cooked European style (crumbed and fried) or was it done some other way?

davidt4, Jun 9, 2:00am

awoftam, Jun 9, 2:36am
It was indeed! Without the capers. which is a shame because the butter, lemon, caper and parsley sauce would have made the dish spectacular. Wonder why they didn't do it.

buzzy110, Jun 9, 2:53am
That sounds wonderful. Thank you awoftam for bringing it to my attention and thank you davidt4 for posting the recipe.

fishplants, Jun 9, 9:03am
Well it is a variant of Cordon Bleu - which is really just a piece of veal pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham (or prosciutto) and a slice of cheese (such as Swiss), then breaded, and then pan fried or baked.

Of course now we think that a grain fed chicken is healthier than veal or beef, so that is where all these "new" and "healthy" recipes come from.

Here is a recipe which would be close to the Original (just remember that it introduced the cooking schools into English speaking countries that are now thought of as "very good" = "cordon Bleu":
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/veal-cordon-bleu-233551

buzzy110, Jun 10, 4:27am
I did recognise it as a "Cordon Bleu" type recipe but I was a vegetarian when that particular dish became all the rage so I've never made it in earnest before. I think it was made with beaten chicken breast at the time. I like it with wiener schnitzel though. I'm not a fan of veal. I find it 'tasteless'.

The two points of difference with mine is that I use rice flour rather than wheat flour. I think it is nicer and not so 'gluggy'. It also stops the crumbs from separating from the meat. Secondly I use crumbs from my sourdough bread. There is usually a lot of crumbs from crusts when I slice my loaves up the freezer. I grind them in the coffee grinder and freeze for when I need them.

In the meantime I will be adding anchovies to my fried eggs. Never thought of that before. I usually team them with lamb and throw them into salads.

awoftam, Jun 8, 1:46am
fishplants wrote:
Well it is a variant of Cordon Bleu - which is really just a piece of veal pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham (or prosciutto) and a slice of cheese (such as Swiss), then breaded, and then pan fried or baked.

Yip, it is, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Like Buzzy I prefer beef to veal, and as for chicken, well I eat a lot of it but this dish is beef and beef alone, for me. I also use rice flour, for crumbing, gravies and for bechamel. Find it easier to work with and it gives way to the flavours of the dish or gravy far better IMO.