Chelsea winter creamy chicken pie recipe, how can

laura54, Jan 9, 7:56am
x3
why bother at all?

rarogal, Jan 11, 7:57am
x3
Here it is. I make it a lot, does us for two nights, one of my favs.
CHICKEN AND VEGE PIE
800g boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1.75 pounds)
2Tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup chopped bacon
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 leek, white part only, sliced
2 carrots, chopped into 1cm cubes (1/4 inch)
1tsp fresh thyme leaves
250g brown button mushrooms, slice (1/2 pound)
1.5 cups chopped spinach, washed and squeezed
75g butter (2.5oz)
1/2 cup plain flour
1.5 cups milk
1/3rd cup cream
1/3rd cup grated Parmesan
2tsp whole grain mustard
2-3 sheets flaky pastry
1/4 cup milk and 1egg, beaten together, for pastry wash.

Method
Preheat oven to fan bake 180C (350F)
Take pastry sheets out to thaw.
Coat chicken with half of oil and salt and pepper.
Place in an oven for 15-20mins until golden and cooked through. Cool and shred into bite size pieces.
While chicken is cooking, fry bacon until crispy and drain on paper towels.
Wipe out pan and add remaining oil over medium heat. Add garlic, leek, carrots and thyme, cook for 5mins until excess moisture has evaporated.
Return chicken and bacon to pan, mix to combine and turn off the heat.
To make the sauce: Heat butter over medium heat, stir in flour and cook for 4 mins. Remove from heat and slowly pour in milk, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Whisk in cream and Parmesan and return pan to the heat. Cook, stirring, for about 5mins until thick, stir in mustard. Taste and season. Add sauce to chicken mixture and mix gently to combine.
Line large pie dish with pastry. Spoon in filling and top with a lid of pastry. Seal edges with a little milk and crimp edges with your fingers. Brush pie with beaten egg and milk. Cut a couple of air holes. Bake for 40mins or until pie is cooked and golden. This is a large pie! Serves 4-6.

rainrain1, Jan 11, 8:12am
x1
Because it's dam delicious, and I like to make it every now and then.

245sam, Jan 11, 9:36am
x1
Good on you for posting the recipe rarogal. After saving the recipe from a freebie local newspaper I had posted the recipe at #8, above, and it was deleted - not by me and I can only guess as to why, so I wonder how long your posting will remain? :-))

rarogal, Jan 12, 12:03am
x2
245sam. I can't imagine why anyone would be so petty! I don't come in here a lot, but there must be someone who doesn't like CW! Well I do and I use a lot of her recipes. Isn't that what it's all about, sharing recipes you like? I had already copy and pasted it into my collection of recipes, so it wasn't much of an ask to do the same here.

245sam, Jan 12, 3:18am
rarogal, I too had already copied and pasted the recipe into my own files so simply did the same here as I had done previously when someone else requested the recipe. I was very surprised, and disappointed too, to find that my posting of the recipe had been deleted BUT I am pleased that the above OP did get to see (and hopefully keep a copy of) the recipe and that she and her partner were able to enjoy the pie whilst recovering from the flu. :-))

hawki1, Aug 8, 1:00am
HI All,
Wow you are amazing! I think it is silly not to share, I understand that she makes a living from her cookbooks, but this is from her 1st book, so time to let it go I say. Thanks for the other chicken pie recipes as well, they look so yummy i shall have to try those too. Thanks 245Sam. My partner and I have have both had the flu virus doing the rounds and I just wanted to make something, tempting, tasty and soft to eat .

browny36, Aug 8, 8:14am
My favourite chicken pie is this smoked chicken one from Helen's site .
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/feed-a-crowd-smoked-chicken-pie.html

battgirl, Aug 14, 3:26am
x1
Just FYI, this recipe is also delicious as a casserole (just add a bit of chicken stock or more milk to loosen it up) with home made bread for dipping. A family favourite.

buzzy110, Aug 14, 3:38am
I notice that she forgot to include the mushrooms and spinach in the method.

I would add the mushrooms and saute with the garlic, leek, carrots and thyme and then add the spinach at the very end of the saute time.

battgirl, Aug 14, 3:46am
In the original recipe the mushrooms go in after the leek/carrots etc have cooked down for 5 mins or so, and then you saute another 5 mins before adding the spinach. not that it makes much difference.

thuntzster, Nov 9, 4:49am
x1
Creamy chicken and vegetable pie from At My Table by Chelsea Winter

Shopping List
Ingredients
Notes (0)
Reviews (0)
spinach
carrots
Parmesan cheese
chicken thighs
garlic
leeks
thyme
bacon
milk
wholegrain mustard
puff pastry
cream
baby brown button mushrooms

heav3, Jan 20, 11:20pm
i get this recipe. Daughter is wanting to try it. Tried library but have to wait ages. Any other way?

pony_girl, Jan 20, 11:40pm
x1
Sorry I can't help with Chelsea Winter's recipe - but I got this recipe from a the Countdown food magazine "you asked for it" column years ago - and it is absolutely delicious. I add other veggies that I fancy too, like mushrooms, celery, courgettes, leeks etc (fried with the onions).
Have also just re-read the recipe before posting and realised that I never blind bake the pastry either, but it still turns out perfect. It's also great with either mashed Kumara or mashed potato as a topping, rather than pastry as well.

Tuscany cafe's wholegrain mustard, chicken pie.
2 tablespoons oil
2 sheets savoury pastry,
1 medium chopped onion
350 grams sour cream
1 egg
1 cup grated cheese
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper
500 grams chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 sheets flaky pastry
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 180.
prepare 22cm pie dish by brushing with oil - then lining with savoury pastry and blind bake for 10 minutes.
Sauté onion until transparent.
Combine the sour cream, egg, cheese, mustard, garlic parsley and seasonings in a bowl - then mix in the chicken and onion.
pour mixture into the semi baked pastry shell - top with the puff pastry and seal edges of pie, brush the top with milk or egg wash and then sprinkle with sesame seeds - then bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

davidt4, Jan 21, 12:09am
Buy the book.

kiwitrish, Jan 21, 12:13am
On Chelsea Web site she has wrote this about the recipe. So she doesn't mind people sharing it.

Why isn’t it online?
People often request that I post the recipe online – and while I’m tempted, it’s a tricky one for me. On one hand, I believe recipes are made to be shared (you’ll see I have a number of recipes from my books available on this website). However, I do think some recipes kept within the pages of the books are what makes them special. A great number of people have bought At My Table especially for this one recipe, so out of respect for them, I haven’t posted it online.

That’s not to say you have to miss out, though. If you know someone with At My Table, please go ahead and ask them to share the recipe with you (tell them I said you could). I’m sure they would be more than happy to. You can also look for the book in your local library. Or…

motorbo, Jan 21, 1:03am
when on earth did it become law you cant share a recipe. FFS
and why does this conversation always happen around her. as far as i see she just tweaks old recipes. nothing new in that
Chelsea Winter didnt invent the creamy chicken casserole, she didnt even invent lasagna, im betting someone gave her recipes when she started out learning.

davidt4, Jan 21, 1:43am
The same thing used to happen in respect of Annabelle Langbein; same situation - well known dishes, nothing new or interesting but but very good promotion.

rainrain1, Jan 21, 2:16am
I have it, but it's way too long to be bothered typing out, sorry!

samanya, Nov 1, 9:54pm
Agree, again.
Recipes are a cyclical/fashionable thing, I reckon & it reminds me of a couple of sayings . 'there's nothing new, under the sun' & 'what goes around comes around' & present an old idea with smart marketing, it will always appeal to some who have never heard of it.