Chicken Pie - Mine was yuck...

lukn4bargans, Jan 25, 7:28am
Can someone give me the recipe for a nice chicken pie please? I made one tonight and I didn't like it. I made my own stock and took the meat of drum sticks (my fav piece) and it was still not so good.

jimbob37, Jan 25, 7:35am
I put chicken, mushroom, onion and anything else like that I want in a dish, pour over a can of condensed chicken soup, cover with pastry and then brush with milk/egg. I love it.

twinsforus, Jan 25, 7:41am
This is my favourite chicken pie recipe... . it is a destitute gourmet recipe that originally uses fresh chicken & veg, but I have only ever made it using leftovers! !
1 sliced leek
mushrooms (as you like it, lots or none at all... . your choice! )
25g butter
2 tbsp flour
250mls milk (I have used half milk half chicken stock and it works well)
300g cubed cooked veges such as potato, pumpkin, kumara... . . any left over roast vege! ! )
1 tsp dried thyme
1 chicken breast (again this amount is dependant on you... . if you only have a small amount of chicken leftover, bulk it up with more vege)
salt & pepper
2-3 sheets flaky or shortcrust pastry
1 egg beaten (for glazing)

Cook leeks & mushrooms in butter until soft. Add flour and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
Gradually add the milk to form a white sauce, then add all the other ingredients. Stir until mixed together.
Line pie dish with pastry, then fill with chicken mix. Place a sheet of pastry on top and brush with egg.
Bake at 200c for 20 minutes until golden.
*Filling can be made in advance, just add another 10 minutes or so to the cooking time.
*I also like to add a bit of garlic when cooking the leek. .

lukn4bargans, Jan 25, 7:45am
Thanks guys, I think that is what was missing was my herbs, I didn't use any, but I did use a bayleaf in my stock but still not good enough. I will try both of these, I just purchased about 4x pie dishes so I have a lot of experimenting to do :)

evebee, Jan 25, 8:10am
Chicken ie
1 tablespoon oil, 500 gms chicken breastfillets, diced, 1 onion finely chopped, 300 gms frozes vegetables, 420 gm tin of chicken soup, 1 tablespoon cornflour, 2-3 sheets puff pastry, 1 egg beaten lightly. Heat oil in large frypan, add chicken and onion and stir over heat until chicken is lightly browned. stir in soup and vegetables. Blend cornflour to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoon cold water, then add to pan, stirring constantly until mixture bolis and thickens. cont... ...

evebee, Jan 25, 8:17am
remove from heat, allow mixture to cool slightly, then refrigerate until completely cooled. Line a lightly greased 22cm pie dishwith puff pastry[you may need more than 1 sheet depending on depth of dish]Fill pastry case with cooled chicken mixture ans brush edges with beaten egg. Cover filling with another sheet of puff pastry. pressing edges to seal. Trim edges and cut a few small slits in the top. Place in oven and bake at 180oC-preheated- fo 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Shield edges with foil if they are browning too quickly... ...

evebee, Jan 25, 8:20am
Serve pie with salad or vegetables of your choice.
Serves 4-6
Chicken filling can be prepared several hours ahead . Keep covered in the fridge. Assembleand bake chicken pie as required.

gavin166, Jan 25, 8:24am
That's a lot like mine!
Thyme is good with chicken - but just a bit. Sage too.
White sauce with plenty of black pepper and a little chicken stock. And I like to make it with leftover roast chicken - the meatshreds up nicely, rather than chunks if cooked from raw diced meat. Alternatively cook a breast or two first, shred/chop, and add to roux.

talent.scout, Jan 25, 9:55am
This is pretty much how i make mine too... Thyme or mixed herbs if i dont have any fresh herbs, is a MUST and onion... . . in a white sauce / or cornflour thickend broth... . . my family like chuck wagon corn in it too

alebix, Jan 25, 12:10pm
Mine can be a bit boring but quite tasty.

I use boneless breasts chopped and cooked.
Then i boil/steam up my fav mixed vege.
I then add a can of creamy chicken soup...

Mix all together and yes it will look like dinner in reverse but the taste is yummy, add curry or cheese of you like.

stormbaby, Jan 25, 12:22pm
A really good casserole, which makes a darn good pie filling as well is this one.
1-2 cups cooked cubed left over chicken
Bacon or ham bits (cook the bacon)
A good handfull of chopped mushrooms
1 packet Maggi mushroom soup
1 cup cream
1 cup milk

Mix the milk and cream with the soup and either microwave or pop in a pot on the stove, heat till thickens. Pour over chopped chicken, mushrooms and bacon or ham.
Either bake this in a covered casserole dish for 40 minutes and serve over cooked rice with green veges, or, use it as a pie filling. Its lovely, easy and very uncomplicated. Tasty too. I make it as a casserole and then use the leftovers in my pie maker.
Tip, roll out a whole packet of pastry and use pie pastry cutters to cut out the tops and bottoms of pies. Put into a flat type freezer proof contain, like a chinese food one, with layers of cut up shopping bags in between to stop them sticking to one another. This is great if you have a pie maker, you just take out the required number of tops and bottoms and while the pie maker is heating the pastry defrosts very quickly. You can use up all types of leftover casseroles etc to make pies. Chicken is my favourite.

singe, Jan 25, 12:25pm
try adding apricots mmm tinned one's and the juice is ok too

talent.scout, Jan 25, 6:38pm
yum. my mum puts apricots and walnuts in her chicken stuffing... . . it is to die for.

toadfish, Jan 25, 6:46pm
I think #11 is a maggi recipe that I frequently made, I say made as I haven't done so for a while. I replace the cream & milk with just skim milk ( a little less... I add a cup and then keep adding sploshes till there is enough sauce of the right texture)) and its delicous as a pie filling or a sauce for pasta. Its nice using smoked chicken as well.

I fry the bacon (I also add onion) & mushrooms first... add the soup mixed up in the milk and then stir through the chicken, so only use 1 frypan.

vinee, Jan 25, 8:56pm
I've never had chicken pie like that, with sauce in.
(sounds a bit yuk to be honest! )

We always had it like this:
flaky pastry in the pie dish,
then cooked ripped chicken,
then sliced tomatoes,
lots of salt and pepper,
then topped with 'stuffing' - made by putting 2 or 3 slices of bread in the whizz with salt and pepper and a real big knob of butter.

bake till golden and yummy.

Have done this as wee savouries too.
The original recipe was done in a loaf tin and in layers.
It is moist despite not having a sauce, too.

If you want to try something different . .

sooseque, Jan 25, 11:47pm
CHICKEN PIE WITH HERB TOPPING
50grams bacon
50“mushrooms, sliced
*1 cooked chicken
2 carrots cooked and sliced
300mls chicken stock
1 tablespoon cornflour
salt & pepper
175grams self raising flour
75 grams butter
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
cold water to mix

Fry the bacon in a fairly large pan until the fat runs, add the mushrooms and fry until softened. Add the chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, add the carrots and stock. Mix the cornflour with a little of the stock then return it to the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a shallow ovenproof dish. Sift the self-raising flour into a bowl and rub in the margarine until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the parsley and a pinch of salt then enough cold water to make a soft dough. Roll out the dough to fit the dish and place it on the chicken mixture. Mark with a knife to make a diamond pattern. Bake in a hot oven 200C15-20min until well risen and golden.
*Use around a size 16 chicken or say 2 x 14 for a crowd and double topping. I usually boil chicken first.

guitarman525, Jul 16, 11:17am
I just boil number 11(or bigger if feeding extras) chicken till cooked. cool then take off meat. in a pot boil up brocilli, carrot etc. Fry up onion, mushroom. While veges are hot stir thru half a container (smallest)of cream cheese. Then add other ingreds and a tin of condensed chicken soup. Stir together well oh and Salt and pepper to taste. very yummy and filling if you want to you could add half a packet of chuckwagon corn or other frozen veges
Good luck in finding a recipe that suits you