Chicken Pie - What do i put in it

happymum1, Jan 30, 12:27am
Ive got the chicken and the base but what do i put in it to make it tasty, im not sure as never made one b4

charlieb2, Jan 30, 12:37am
leeks?some sort of white sauce? veges?

dezzie, Jan 30, 12:52am
I use boiler chickens for this one, but it should work just as well with normal chicken, boil the chicken in a little bit of water, and an onion and mixed herbs remove the chicken and debone and chop up (if its not already) save the water, throw in as many veges as you have, and cook, add some milk to the stock you have in the pot and thicken with flour, check seasoning, mix the chicken and vege into the sauce, put in pie dish and use stuffing for the top of your pie.

winnie231, Jan 30, 12:53am
If you type 'chicken pie' into the search function on the left and select 'anytime' you will find lots of delicious versions from the good folks here.

suie1, Jan 30, 1:38am
I used to make one with a white sauce base, added diced carrot, garlic cooked & some oregano, in a pastry case.

Or this one is nice.
The meat from one cooked chicken broken up, 1 onion (diced), 1 C parsley, 2 rashers bacon, 45g butter, 2T flour 300ml milk, 400ml chicken stock, garlic powder, celery salt, nutmeg, salt & pepper.

Brown parsley, onion & Bacon in butter in fry pan, add flour & mix, add chicken stock & milk bring to the boil. Add chicken & transfer to casserole dish.

Mix 2 C fresh breadcrumbs, 1t melted butter, 2t mixed herbs sprinkle over chicken.
Brown in oven at 180 for 15mins or until golden.

jag5, Jan 30, 1:39am
Google Nigella's Chicken Pot Pie.So good.Chicken, bacon, mushrooms, some thyme, chicken stock.That's it.Pop in a dish (do individual ones) and top with pastry.So easy

monkey_room, Jan 30, 4:35am
I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday I think but good in here.
Great for a family of four or five.
I buy 2 pre stuffed roast chooks (on the tray) from Pak"N Save. These are around $14-$16 Roast as usual for dinner with spuds, kumara, pumpkin etc and allow a few extra of the roast veg. Make gravy and allow extra there too. That is dinner one. Store left over chicken, veg and gravy in fridge.
The next day I strip off all the extra meat from the chooks and cut up the left over veg. In a pot I cut up an onion and add a bit of garlic and brown it a little. I add the cut chicken, gravy and roast veg. Also any corn, carrot, peas etc leftover. I add a chicken stock cube in about 250ml water and allow the mix to simmer for 10 - 15 mins on low and season as you wish. (If it needs thickening add a little cornflour and water) I line a pie dish with 2 sheets flaky puff pastry and fill with the chicken mix and pop another sheet on top and prick it. Brush with milk and bake until cooked and golden brown. Serve with steamed veg again for next nights dinner. YUM! You will possibly have some left over for lunches the next day too. It make two meals for approx $25 plus lunches.

fendi3, Jan 30, 6:38am
Delia Smith has a great chicken and leek pot pie recipe on her website and have tried lots of different ones but this is the favourite!

nicole.t, Jan 30, 7:26am
I use a can of Campbells Condensed soup as the sauce and add a variety of veges with the chicken including brocolli, carrot corn etc.It makes it so simple to do if you are in a hurry.

motorbo, Jan 30, 7:33am
thats sorta what i do, i brown the bacon and chicken add onions and mushrooms bit of thyme, bit of stock then thicken, if im not making it for a pie i use cream, no stock to thicken, and serve with pasta or on its own

gerry64, Mar 10, 4:45pm
alyson Gofton has a lovely one - slices of cooked potato on the bottom - has spinich and pine nuts -is really lovely -it was in her best ever recipes in Next magazine