COOKING CLASS 101.

Page 2 / 20
brianmac, Aug 30, 4:31am
Basic pancake batter 1 cup flour;1 tsp baking powder;1/2 tsp salt;1 egg;1 1/2 cups milk;15g of butter, melted;oil for frying. Sift flour, baking powder & salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add egg, milk and melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, gradually draw in the flour. Beat well. Cover and leave to stand one hour. Grease and heat pancake pan. Pour batter into a jug and pour in enough batter while tilting the pan to cover the bottom. Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface, about 1 min, then flip over using a metal spatula. These are lovely layered with a little butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of caster sugar, just layer and repeat.

allurs, Aug 30, 4:47am
Basic Scones 5 cups of self rasing flour, in another bowl mix 1 cup of cream and 1 can of lemonade, add to the self rasing flour, mix, then knee it, roll it out on the bench cut into shapes you want, bake it 180 for approx 20 mins, until bounce back and golden

brianmac, Aug 30, 8:46am
Sponge Cake 4 eggs;3/4 cup caster sugar'2/3 cup plain flour;1/3 cup cornflour;1 tsp baking powder. Put eggs into small bowlof electric mixer(or use electric hand beaters) beat on medium speed until mixture is thick and creamy. Mixture will rise almost to the top of the bowl;beating time is 5-8 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar, beat until sugar is dissolved. Sift dry ingredients several times so all ingredients are thoroughly combined. cont... .

brianmac, Aug 30, 8:50am
With a spatula or a metal sppon fold in dry ingredients into egg yolk mixture. Do this lightly and quickly, so that the airy sponge mixture is not broken down, but make sure all flour is mixed in. Pour mixture evenly into two well-greased deep round cake tins. Bake in mod oven 20-25 mins, cake is cooked when it shrinks slightly from the side of the tin or when the top is pressed lightly with the fingertips, it springs back lightly and fingerprints leave no impression. cont... ...

brianmac, Aug 30, 8:53am
Cover wire rack with a clean teatowel and turn cakes out of tins immediately they are cooked. Carefully invert so the tops of cakes are uppermost. When cold, spread one half with whipped cream and the other with passionfruit pulp or jam. dust top with icing sugar.

cgvl, Aug 30, 11:10pm
Clara'sMeat Loaf Mix together 500g mince, 500gm sausage meat, 1 finely chopped onion, 1cup breadcrumbs, 1/2teaspoon mixed herbs, 1egg and salt and pepper to taste. Line a medium to large loaf tin with either foil or baking paper. Can be lightly greased and floured. Press the mixture into loaf pan and garnish if desired with approximately 4 rashers of bacon. Bake for 10 minutes at 180C then lower temp to 150C for 1 hour. Place the loaf tin onto a tray with sides as sometimes the excess juice from the meat leaks out. Note I add a grated apple to this mix. You could also add garlic, cheese, or lemon or lime juice for a citrus flavour.

cgvl, Aug 30, 11:22pm
Berry or any fruit Muffins Ingredients: 1 3/4cup flour, 2 1/2teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/2teaspoon salt, 4Tablespoons sugar, 1egg beaten, 3/4cup milk, 45gm melted butter, 1cup berries or chopped fruit (fresh, frozen, thawed or dried) 2tablespoons extra sugar.

Method: Toss the fruit in the extra sugar leave to one side. In a seperate bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Add the beaten egg, milk and butter together. Stir until mixed. Add the berries or fruit but not the extra sugar. Stir fruit through but DO NOT over mix. Transfer mixture to muffin pans, sprinkle the reserved sugar on top of the muffins. Bake at 200C for 20-25 minutes. Note: I have made these using canned/tinned fruit and dried apricots as well as fresh fruit and bananas. For a change you could 1/2 full muffin tins the add a small amount of cream cheese the top with more mixture - this is also nice.

wron, Aug 31, 10:26am
Back to P1 Up we go

brianmac, Sep 1, 8:06am
Homemade mint sauce Spearmint (if you have it) is the best mint for mint sauce, but standard mint is ok. 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves (rinsed and patted dry) 1 tbsp caster sugar;2 tbsp boiling water;3 tbsp white wine vinegar;pinch salt. Finely chop mint leaves with 1 tsp sugar. Place in a sauceboat or bowl and add boiling water. This will set the colour. Stir in remaining sugar, vinegar and salt and let mint sauce stand one hour before serving to let flavours develop.

brianmac, Sep 1, 8:14am
Rich Vanilla Custard 5cm peice of vanilla bean;2 cups hot milk;1 egg;2 egg yolks;2 tbsp sugar;15g butter. Infuse vanilla bean in hot milk in heavy saucepan for 5-10 mins, then remove. Beat egg & egg yolks with sugar together, pour on milk and mix well. Return to saucepan with butter and cook over low heat, stirring constantly till thick. Remove from heat and beat with electric mixer until slightly cooled, pour into bowl or jug and cool completely.

brianmac, Sep 2, 9:07pm
PIKELETS This wonderful recipe has been around since the 60's (or earlier) when my Mum used to make these. I remember her using the solid element on the stove top and using greaseproof paper and butter to grease the hotplate(can almost smell them now! ! )
2 eggs;3 tbsp caster sugar;1 1/2 cups plain flour;2 tsp cream of tartar;1 tsp of soda;1/2 teacup of milk (I use more as the mixture is quite thick)salt;1 tbsp melted butter. Sift flour and cream of tartar. Beat eggs and sugar well, then work in flour, adding milk in which b soda has been dissolved. :astly, add melted butter. TIP: pour mixture off the end of your spoon to get nice round pikelets.

brianmac, Sep 2, 9:14pm
Authentic italian Spaghetti Bolognaise 1 tbsp oil;med onion, chopped;500g minced steak;240g can tomato paste;1/4 tsp salt, pepper & oregano;2 tbsp chopped parsley;1 tbsp sugar;30g chopped mushrooms;1 1/2 cups stock made with cubes;1 clove garlic-crushed;dash of red wine;500g spaghetti. Heat oil in pan & fry onion, steak, garlic until brown. Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, pars-
ley, sugar, mushrooms, stock & wine. Cover and simmer gently for 30 mins. Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente'. Drain and serve with meat sauce over the top. Top with freshly grated parmesan.

rema, Sep 2, 9:23pm
Thanks What a great thread - keep it up

herika, Sep 2, 10:33pm
yes, I agree well done brianmac!

novtrad, Sep 3, 7:57am
Great Thread Bumping for more recipes

brianmac, Sep 3, 8:30am
Tuna Pate' This is a simple, quick recipe to have with crackers, melba toast or crudite's. 25g butter;150g cream cheese;1 can of tinned tuna, drained (185g tin)1 tbsp tomato sauce;2 tbsp grated onion (I just whizz in the processor) 1 clove garlic, crushed;1 tsp vinegar;1/4 tsp salt & ground pepper to taste. Soften butter and cream cheese together. Beat in drained tuna, add grated onion, garlic, vinegar, tomato sauce and seasonings. Continue beating until smooth. Press into small ramekin or bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.

brianmac, Sep 3, 8:42am
Creamy Rice Pudding An all-time favourite in our household as a kid. Mum used to use half ordinary milk and a tin of evaporated milk, which makes a beautiful creamy rice, very similar to the "Ambrosia" tinned rice in England -try it, you will be a convert! ! 4 tbsp short grain rice;1 tbsp sugar;3 1/2 cups of milk (use i tin evaporated and the balance in ordinary milk)15g butter;nutmeg. Place rice in buttered dish. Add sugar & milk(just use the ordinary first, add evaporated a bit later)dot small peices of butter over the top and sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Bake at 160 for 1 1/2 hours, stiring every 30 mins. As it begins to thicken, stir in evaporated milk and continue cooking till creamy(I add extra milk if required)usually another 30 mins or so.

brianmac, Sep 3, 9:08pm
One Hour White Rolls For those of you who have never attempted making bread, these rolls are really easy to make and are delicious too. Great to whip up on a weekend to serve with hot soup. 1/2 cup warm water;1tsp sugar;1 tsp dried yeast;1 cup white flour; 1/2 tsp salt; 1/2 cup extra white flour. Dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle yeast on top. Do not stir, leave in a warm place ( I heat the oven to a low temp and pop bowl in there)leave for ten mins until frothy. Warm a medium size bowl (you can just rinse in hot water and dry)Grease and warm muffin tins. Sift flour & salt into warmed bowl, leave in warm place while waiting for yeast to froth. cont... . .

brianmac, Sep 3, 9:11pm
Stir yeast mixture, pour it into flour and stir with wooden spoon for 2 mins. Cover bowl with gladwrap and leave in warm place 10 mins. Stir in enough of the reserved flour to make a soft dough. Combine into a ball with your hands. Put on a floured board and knead for 5 mins (to knead, use the "heel" of your hand, that is the flat part near your wrist. Push heel of hand into dough-pushing it away from youthen fold dough over towards you and repeat)Roll into a long sausage shape and cut into 8 even sized peices. Shape each into a ball and place in warmed, greased muffin tins. cont... . .

brianmac, Sep 3, 9:13pm
Cover lightly with gladwrap or a teatowel and leave in a warm place 10 mins or until well risen. Bake until golden brown -10-15 mins in a hot preheated oven (220c) Serve warm with butter.

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 3, 9:23pm
Brianmac your such a book of knowledge, you may not be old enough but do you know how to make a 'yeast drink' my grandmother used to make them for us and I loved it. Its really good for your skin. She used to make it up at night and in the morning I think she added sugar, gave it a good stir and it would all froth up.

cgvl, Sep 4, 4:05am
Seafood Chowder Quick Easy no fuss. Cook in a little water or in the microwave 1cup of vegetables (corn, celery, onion, carrots and peas I use a frozen vegie mix). In a saucepan put the cooked vegies and add 2cups of cream , 1tsp of fish stock (powder) bring to the boil. Turn heat down and add 2 chopped crabsticks and 2cups of seafood marinara mix. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add a small drop of vanilla essence and thicken with 2Tablespoons of cornflour. Serve piping hot. Note I substitue 1 of the cups of cream for milk but it is really nice with the 2 cups of cream but rich.

cgvl, Sep 6, 12:29am
bump yep keep it near the top

brianmac, Sep 6, 5:05am
Can't say I do Kiwiscrapper sounds gross! ! lol. We used to have malt on a spoon, the one with codliver oil in it -I used to love it.

rozke, Sep 6, 11:22pm
Mince My Gran made the best mince stew but none of the family can make it like she did. Mince, water, worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, tiny amount of sugar and put on the stove for 3 hrs, doesnt turn out the same .
Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks