TANGINE COOKING...

islandbreeze, Jun 13, 11:11pm
I've just purchased a tangine cooker please help with recipies.

purplegoanna, Jun 13, 11:17pm
me too....google is your friend....i just typt in tagine recipes and went on a picture serch...the pics i liked i then looked at the recipe......had a beaut meal on sunday night i made cous cous to go with it.we had http://kitchen-delights.blogspot.com/2008/04/lamb-tagine.html, if you got the red/cream tagine just remember not to use it on the stove top, i browned my meat in a frypan then added everything to the tagine for the oven.

marree, Jun 13, 11:25pm
Tagine - very Middle Eastern - lovely / tasty - I lived in Cairo, EGY for a while - many recipes, but just keep googling - even Egyptian food - if any questions, please ask & I will try to help.

malcovy, Jun 14, 2:27am

cookessentials, Jun 14, 3:12am
I use an Emile Henry tagine on the stove top...the whole process can be done on the top of the stove. This recipe i from Ghillie Basan...authr of "Tagine" and "Flavours Of Morrocco"

Lamb tagine with prunes and apricots

Serves 4, with couscous.
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp blanched almonds
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
A thumb-size piece of ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
A pinch of saffron threads
2 cinnamon sticks
1-2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 lb boneless leg of lamb, or boneless lamb shanks, cubed
12 pitted prunes, soaked in hot water for 1 hour, drained
6 dried apricots, soaked in hot water for 1 hour, drained
3-4 strips orange peel
1-2 Tbsp agave nectar or dark honey
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Handful of flat-leaf parsley or cilantro leaves, for garnish

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven, stir in the almonds, and cook until they turn golden. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until they begin to color (do not burn the garlic). Stir in the ginger, saffron, cinnamon sticks and coriander seeds. Add the lamb, making sure it is coated in the onion and spices, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.

If you are using a frying pan, transfer everything to the base of a ceramic tagine.

Pour in enough water to just cover the meat, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to lowest simmer, cover the tagine or Dutch oven, and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Add the prunes, apricots and orange peel, cover the tagine again, and simmer 15-20 minutes. Stir in the agave or honey, salt and pepper, cover, and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce turns syrupy and slightly caramelized, but not dry. Stir in the parsley or cilantro, and serve with couscous or bread.

cookessentials, Jun 14, 3:19am
This is one of my favourites.

Tagine of spicy kefta with lemon (Serves 4-6)

(Taken from Flavours of Morocco)

For the kefta
450g (1lb) finely minced lamb
1 onion, finely chopped, or grated
a small bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ras-el-hanout
sea salt

2 tablespoons ghee
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
a small bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 lemon, cut into 4 or 6 segments, with pips removed
sea salt

To make the kefta, pound the minced lamb in bowl. Using your hands, lift up the lump of minced meat and slap it back down into the bowl. Add the chopped onion, parsley, and spices and season with salt and pepper. Again, using your hands, mix the ingredients together and knead well, pounding the mixture for a few minutes. Take pieces of the mixture and shape them into little cherry-sized balls. (These can be made ahead of time and kept chilled in the refrigerator).

Heat the ghee in a tagine, or heavy-based casserole pot. Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and saute with the sugar until they begin to brown. Add the turmeric and half the coriander and pour in roughly 300ml (10fl oz) water. Bring the water to the boil, reduce the heat and carefully place the kefta in the liquid. Put the lid back on and cook the kefta gently for about 30 minutes, rolling them in the liquid from time to time. Tuck the lemon segments around the kefta, season with salt, and cook gently for another 20 minutes. Garnish with the rest of the coriander and serve hot with a chunks of crusty bread or couscous.

lindylambchops1, Jun 14, 4:27am
Steven's have a Tagine at a very good price at the moment
http://www.stevens.co.nz/product/Bakeware-Ceramic/Tagine?i=5167988 but it is not for stove top or high temperatures. I love the Tagines on this NZ site http://www.thesouq.co.nz/webapps/p/75149/124735/396431
I so want one!Love those flavours!

lindylambchops1, Jun 14, 4:57am

zambesi2, Jun 14, 8:25am
WOW! LIndylambchops...those Tangines are amazing and the price is extrememely reasonable.Have you bought one off this site or know of anyone that has?

babytears, Jun 14, 9:25am
This is the latest 'MindFood' mag...

http://www.mindfood.com/at-lamb-date-tagine-pomegranate-couscous-in-season.seo Also found this one... looks devine - I really want a Tagine!!!
http://www.mindfood.com/at-spicy-lamb-mince-tagine-recipe.seo

lindylambchops1, Jun 14, 9:55am
Not yet building up to it!Can't decide on Large or Extra Large!Love the food that is cooked in them, although it can be cooked in the slow cooker too!No real need for a tagine.But I do love the LOOK of them!lol

lindylambchops1, Jun 14, 9:57am
Yum great recipes, thanks for posting.I really want one too.Just got to decide on NEED or WANT!!!lol