Cooking chocolate vs regular chocolate

muppet65, May 4, 7:39pm
Just wondering if anyone uses regular dark choc instead of cooking chocolate in their baking....or has the cooking choc got something the other doesn't...

maximus44, May 4, 8:26pm
x1
My daughter makes brownies out of ordinary chocolate and they are beautiful. I am unsure what the difference is.

amazing_grace, May 4, 8:27pm
Ewww, I never use cooking chocolate, I assume it is more like confectioners chocolate, which doesnt taste like chocolate at all.....

ribzuba, May 4, 9:26pm
cooking chocolate is fake put plain and simple, try it and try some nice 70% at the same time, you will notice that the cooking chocolate tastes like candy.It is cheap because it has no cocoa butter in it, which is handy because if using it for chocolate work it means you do not need to temper it.If you can you should always buy the nicer stuff.In saying that in NZ the nicer stuff is not always readily available and easy to find, although whittakers or the lindt in the supermarkets are the best you can get in that setting.

muppet65, May 4, 10:51pm
Thank you for your comments so far ...I find cooking chocolate is expensive and not so delicious...so thought perhaps using somthing along the lines of whittakers instead would be nicer

buzzy110, May 5, 1:19am
Do be careful with how dark your chocolate is if you are using it in ganache or melted in cream. Once it gets beyond a certain level (cannot remember now but I wouldn't go about 70%) it will not melt, instead it goes hard.

muppet65, May 5, 3:11am
excellent thank you buzzy, I did make ganache today, using regular dark cooking chocolate.Your message helps as I will no doubt make it again and that would be a disaster.

wildflower, May 5, 4:06am
I never buy cooking choc, only ever Whittakers, dark or madagasca taste great and melt well.

Cooking choc is often compound choc which is mostly sugar and oil, yuck.

rosathemad, May 5, 8:46am
As has been mentioned the only reason cooking chocolate would be preferable is if you're trying to melt and re-set it to make chocolates and don't want to temper it. I use eating chocolate for all my baking - Whittakers Ghana, which I think is 72%, is my go-to dark chocolate, and I've never had any trouble melting it (though actually I use milk chocolate more as I prefer that). :-) I do quite like Cadbury Dream for white chocolate - it has a respectable amount of cocoa butter and is usually the cheapest.

muppet65, May 5, 7:39pm
Just wondering if anyone uses regular dark choc instead of cooking chocolate in their baking.or has the cooking choc got something the other doesn't.

amazing_grace, May 5, 8:27pm
Ewww, I never use cooking chocolate, I assume it is more like confectioners chocolate, which doesnt taste like chocolate at all.

shop-a-holic, May 5, 10:22pm
I make dark chocolate truffle ganache using Cadburys 70% and then hand dip them also in, Cadbury's 70%. Nothing wrong with them, except they keep disappearing.

muppet65, May 5, 10:51pm
Thank you for your comments so far .I find cooking chocolate is expensive and not so delicious.so thought perhaps using somthing along the lines of whittakers instead would be nicer

gusthe1, May 5, 11:32pm
Whats ganache?

muppet65, May 6, 12:06am
thanks for the tip . I keep away from the compound stuff it is awful.

buzzy110, May 6, 1:19am
Do be careful with how dark your chocolate is if you are using it in ganache or melted in cream. Once it gets beyond a certain level (cannot remember now but I wouldn't go about 70%) it will not melt, instead it goes hard.

rosathemad, May 6, 8:46am
As has been mentioned the only reason cooking chocolate would be preferable is if you're trying to melt and re-set it to make chocolates and don't want to temper it. I use eating chocolate for all my baking - Whittakers Ghana, which I think is 72%, is my go-to dark chocolate, and I've never had any trouble melting it (though actually I use milk chocolate more as I prefer that). :-) I do quite like Cadbury Dream for white chocolate - it has a respectable amount of cocoa butter and is usually the cheapest.

shop-a-holic, May 6, 10:22pm
I make dark chocolate truffle ganache using Cadburys 70% and then hand dip them also in, Cadbury's 70%. Nothing wrong with them, except they keep disappearing.