Ideas for cooking beef cheeks please

Page 1 / 2
griffo4, May 9, 5:39am
Davidt4 l made the movidas recipe again last night with the spanish sherry and they were so nice again l had forgotten how good they were
The cauli mash is also soooo very nice and l put some leeks in with them and l will be doing them again without the cheeks
Thank you for posting that linkand l got 2 bottles of sherry so l can make it anytime now

rainrain1, May 9, 6:04am
eye fillets!

bedazzledjewels, May 9, 6:11am
I'm going to Movida in Melbourne for dinner soon, and beef cheeks will be top of my list. He makes a mean Creme Caramel too!
Must make this recipe soon.

rainrain1, May 9, 6:19am
Holy cow we just toss them away, i never even thought of saving beef cheeks, might have to tell the meat choperer uperer to bring me some

timturtle, May 9, 6:20am
Ive just order some of that sherry.

griffo4, May 9, 7:29am
rainrain the homekills helper wanted them if we didn't, so we were swapping recipes but l wasn't giving up the beef cheeks,lol

shop-a-holic, May 9, 7:57am
Beef cheeks are the latest rave; and my freezer is full of them.They are extremely chic and of course, as you can appreciate, there are only two cheeks per beast.Two cheeks will weigh between 450-600gms depending on size.Quite a rare cut.

Roughly, they may contain up to 30% collagen, which is so beneficial for your joints - not to forget your face.
They cost $10 per kilo, but I'm afraid this may be short lived, as the demand will only reflect the price like lamb shanks of past prices.

I have found that what ever recipe you'd like to cook with them; they will require 4 hours, slow cooking in an oven, 250F-280F.I havent done them in a slow cooker, so I can't help those with slow-cookers.

rainrain1, May 9, 8:01am
we will probably still chuck them to the dogs and hawks

griffo4, May 9, 8:42pm
we get ours fresh from our home kill so don't know how much they cost but l saw shin meat at nearly $12kg and had to look twice to make sure l was reading that right, then l went home and told the dog that she has expensive tastes,lol

griffo4, Nov 21, 8:01pm
l just got some beef cheeks and l was wondering what you do with them
l realise they need slow cooking but just wanted some ideas please

davidt4, Nov 21, 9:10pm
Ths is lovely with beef cheeks, and very simple.

Beef, Leek and Balsamic Vinegar Stew

3 large leeks in thick slices
2 tab olive oil
700g stewing beef in large chunks
1 tsp salt
pepper
4 tab balsamic vinegar
750 ml water

Brown beef in oil, add leeks and stir 5 min.Add salt and pepper.

Add vinegar and stir to deglaze, gradually add 500 ml water.Cover and simmer about 3 hours until the meat is very tender.Add more water if necessary.

davidt4, Nov 21, 9:13pm
Here's a slightly more complex beef stew, from Nigel Slater.

Braised beef with beer and onions

Serves 4.

a thick slice of butter
750g stewing beef in the piece
2 large onions
a few sprigs of thyme
2 heaped tbsp flour (optional - I leave it out)
2 bottles of beer
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp redcurrant or apple jelly

Set the oven at 180C/gas mark 4. Melt the butter in a large casserole - one to which you have a lid. The heat should be quite sprightly. Cut the beef into four pieces, each nicely seasoned with salt and black pepper, then lower into the lightly sizzling butter. Let the meat colour on one side then turn it over. Peel, halve and thinly slice the onions while the meat browns. Once it has coloured, remove the meat to a plate and lower the heat.

Add the onions to the pan, with the leaves from the thyme sprigs, keeping them over a low to moderate heat until the onions are soft and a very pale gold. This is something I tend to take my time over, so that the onions soften but take on only the smallest amount of colour.

Stir in the flour and leave until it is the palest biscuit colour, then pour in the beer. Once the sizzling has subsided and the sauce is approaching boiling point, return the beef and its juices to the pan and turn down the heat.

Season with salt and black pepper, add bay leaves, cover with a lid and place in the oven. Leave for a good hour to an hour and a half, then lift the lid and stir in the redcurrant jelly. Check the seasoning, adding salt, pepper or redcurrant jelly as you go. Serve with mashed potatoes and the following apple sauce.

For the apple sauce:

5-6 apples, the sharper the better
a little water
a walnut-sized knob of butter
a little caster sugar
a knifepoint of ground cinnamon

Peel the apples, then core them, and cut them into rough chunks. Put them in a saucepan with a little water and the knob of butter and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover with a lid and leave to cook to a sloppy mass. Sweeten with a little caster sugar, add the cinnamon and beat with a fork or wooden spoon till smooth.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 21, 9:26pm
DT4 - and then there's the ultimate Movida recipe!

davidt4, Nov 22, 3:05am
Oh yes!I might drop a hint about some PX for Christmas.

griffo4, Nov 22, 8:04pm
Thank you davidt4 for those l will give them both a go
What is the Movida recipe l am to lazy to google that one

davidt4, Nov 22, 8:27pm

griffo4, Nov 23, 6:52am
Drooling all over the keyboard and yep l will give it a go but the sherry is a problem l have the common old garden variety so not sure about that part if it is good enough

davidt4, Nov 23, 8:21am
I think the top quality Spanish sherry is essential to the dish.That's what makes it so special.The Pedro Ximenez may be expensive but beef cheeks are extremely cheap, so it all balances out.

griffo4, Nov 23, 8:15pm
l will use one of the other recipes today and will go and hunt out the spanish sherry
l have leeks so will try that one
will l find the spanish sherry at the usual liqueur outlets or need to go somewhere else!

davidt4, Nov 23, 8:38pm
Do you have a branch of Glengarry's handy!http://glengarrywines.co.nz/product.jsp!code=89826

griffo4, Nov 24, 3:39am
No but l will look at buying on line thank you for the link
l made the beef cheeks, balsamic vinegar and leeks and it tastes soooo nice so can't wait for dinner now

davidt4, Nov 24, 4:11am
It's great, isn't it.And so simple.

griffo4, Nov 24, 5:43am
Just placed my order thanks for that link it is a goody
Yes it is easy and so tasty but l will be trying that other recipe when the sherry arrives but l will have to get some more beef cheeks to do that as l only have 750g or can l substitute with other steak to make up the 1.5kgs!

motorbo, Nov 24, 6:23am
beef cheeks are delish.stew or casserole .slow cooking is the key and yummmmmmm .anyone know where i can get them in welly !

knowsley, Nov 24, 7:07am
Moore Wilson Fresh have them. No idea of price as I never looked, but do remember seeing them there.