Sushi....how long will it last for?

Page 1 / 2
shay6, Jun 11, 12:26am
I am wanting to buy a platter of sushi for my sons party. Have found a cafe locally who makes it but are closed on Saturdays so they are making it on Friday and I was going to put it in the fridge and serve it the next day at lunchtime.

But I am unsure, I don't want to give my guests food poisoning! Should sushi be made and eaten the same day? Or will it be safe to serve it 24hours later?

Thanks

karenz, Jun 11, 1:06am
The last time I bought salmon and avocado sushi and put it in the fridge overnight the avocado had turned brown and it was a little dried out but it was perfectly edible, though not as nice as when fresh but maybe that was just the avocado, and I can't see any reason why it should not be safe to eat.

sheepgurl, Jun 11, 1:42am
I put some in the fridge overnight. . all the rice turned out rock hard and brown :(

guanoloco, Jun 11, 3:08am
Make your own, it is not hard at all :)

holdenss, Jun 11, 4:18am
Second that.
Its perfectly ok the next day, Its just the looking quality thats affected, Sushi served in shops generally is served at room temp so cooling it will dry and discolour, so theres not much you can do to prevent that as it must be cooled if used the next day.
If you make it, leave it out for 30min-hr to bring to room temp before serving.

aphra1, Jun 11, 4:23am
Mmmm cooked chicken ( if you use chicken)at room temp... not for me thanks. Sushi should be made and eaten fresh, not refrigerated.

holdenss, Jun 11, 4:36am
IfIT IS "cooked" chicken then your got nothing to worry about, especially when Rice Vinegar is added to increase acidity.
People who are afraid of the contaminating "Chicken Myth" Should probably leave chicken alone altogether as its more of a misunderstanding of preparation than the fear of the actual chicken product itself.

pamellie, Jun 11, 4:44am
Can you not find a sushi shop open on a saturday? I always think sushi is best on the day it's made. As said above it goes hard when kept overnight or just refrigerated. It is easy to make but you would want to have a few practice runs at it first.

If the boys are old enough you could make all the ingredients and then get them to make their own by using squares of seaweed and choosing their own filling and then folding it into a triangle.

shay6, Jun 11, 6:04am
Thanks for the advice guys! I can't find a local sushi shop local but might look around out of town. Its for my only sons 1st birthday party, he loves the stuff! But he has dairy, wheat, soy, fish allergies so it will be free from mayonaise etc. I would make it myself, but just not brave enough. Might try once the pressure is off and I have some more time.

susan21, Jun 11, 6:41am
Guanoloco, how do you make Sushi? ? Is there a recipe thats good for learners?

karenz, Jun 11, 6:42am
The Pak n Save in Petone sells Sushi so the Upper Hutt one probably does as well.

guanoloco, Jun 13, 3:51am
The easiest way is probably to buy a kit from the supermarket, then you get everything you need in one lot. Realistically it is only getting the cooking of the rice, and the seasoning of it right, and then you can get as creative with the fillings as you like, or as plain.

uli, Jun 13, 3:56am
In that case I would make it myself! How can you be sure there is nothing in their sauces etc that he is allergic to? And "pressure" for a 1 year-olds birthday party ... don't let it get out of hand so early. What are you going to do once he is older? Relax :)

karenz, Jun 13, 4:08am
All "specialty stuff" you really need is the Nori (seaweed sheets) and a rolling mat which you can buy for about $3 in the International section of the supermarket. You can use any short or medium grain rice and add a dash of white vinegar and a spoonful of sugar to the cooking water rather than the expensive sushi rice and sushi vinegar.

nichola_h, Jun 13, 9:24am
You should go see St Pierres at Queensgate - they do platters. It will go hard if you put it in the fridge. You dont need to worry about food poisoning from properly made sushi because the vinegar preserves it.

aussierainbow, Jun 16, 8:07am
The sushi we buy says on the packet, must be consumed the same day.

nzmar, Jun 18, 10:12am
I'm addicted to sushi and was spending a lot of money buying it... I've now invested in my own sushi maker and it's brilliant! ! ! !
Available from Stevens stores:
http://www.sushezi.com/

nfh1, Jun 18, 10:26am
I would be more worried about the rice than anything else.

beaumonde, Jun 18, 11:47am
Hey Shey, pop into Moore Wilsons, they have a new product in the freezer section, Frozen sushi, sounds odd I know but trust me it's really good. You just bring it out of the freezer and it's ready in 30 minutes.
24 in a pack Lots of lovely flavours too

shay6, Jun 11, 12:26am
I am wanting to buy a platter of sushi for my sons party.Have found a cafe locally who makes it but are closed on Saturdays so they are making it on Friday and I was going to put it in the fridge and serve it the next day at lunchtime.

But I am unsure, I don't want to give my guests food poisoning!Should sushi be made and eaten the same day?Or will it be safe to serve it 24hours later?

Thanks

karenz, Jun 11, 1:06am
The last time I bought salmon and avocado sushi and put it in the fridge overnight the avocado had turned brown and it was a little dried out but it was perfectly edible, though not as nice as when fresh but maybe that was just the avocado, and I can't see any reason why it should not be safe to eat.

holdenss, Jun 11, 4:18am
Second that.
Its perfectly ok the next day, Its just the looking quality thats affected, Sushi served in shops generally is served at room temp so cooling it will dry and discolour, so theres not much you can do to prevent that as it must be cooled if used the next day.
If you make it, leave it out for 30min-hr to bring to room temp before serving.

aphra1, Jun 11, 4:23am
Mmmm cooked chicken ( if you use chicken)at room temp...not for me thanks.Sushi should be made and eaten fresh, not refrigerated.

holdenss, Jun 11, 4:36am
IfIT IS "cooked" chicken then your got nothing to worry about, especially when Rice Vinegar is added to increase acidity.
People who are afraid of the contaminating "Chicken Myth" Should probably leave chicken alone altogether as its more of a misunderstanding of preparation than the fear of the actual chicken product itself.

pamellie, Jun 11, 4:44am
Can you not find a sushi shop open on a saturday? I always think sushi is best on the day it's made. As said above it goes hard when kept overnight or just refrigerated. It is easy to make but you would want to have a few practice runs at it first.

If the boys are old enough you could make all the ingredients and then get them to make their own by using squares of seaweed and choosing their own filling and then folding it into a triangle.