Needed-ideas for simple easy vegetarian meals

Page 10 / 11
frances1266, Jun 26, 6:47am
Butter tofu made Ange's recipe last night and it is really quick, easy and good.
I diced the tofu and sauteed in a little oil until brown and crisp and added frozen veg and butter sauce.Was quick and yum with some steamed veg and b rown rice.

darlingmole, Jun 27, 1:26am
bumping ~ I make the homemade tortilla's aswell cyber.Put in the usual salad stuff but the hot mixture is normally chili beans with onion and grated up anything-I-can-get-my-hands-on-
type veges.Add the grated cheese and the teenagers don't know the difference (they're culinary philistines anyway ha!)

frances1266, Jun 27, 6:47am
Butter tofu made Ange's recipe last night and it is really quick, easy and good.
I diced the tofu and sauteed in a little oil until brown and crisp and added frozen veg and butter sauce.Was quick and yum with some steamed veg and b rown rice.

jenna68, Jun 28, 8:49pm
X... X

poohbearfan3, Jul 2, 9:09pm
bumping for the fellow veges and i can highly recommend the vege cooking classes at seven day adventist churches.i found out about one that was advertised and did it a few weeks ago - so cheap, and brilliant recipes - which of course i don't have here!

ange164, Jul 3, 12:09am
C&P from susieq. VEGETABLE CURRY. Vegetable Curry.
225gm Chopped carrots, 2 chopped onions, 225gms sliced beans, 2sticks chopped celery, 1 diced apple, 1 can of tomatoes or fresh, 2tblsp lentils (soak for 2hrs), 1tblsp curry powder, 2tblsp dark jam eg plum, 1tsp salt. Put all into casserole dish and cook at 180C for 1 hour. Serve with fresh homemade bread. Delicious. The amount of veges are just approximate.

susieq9

ange164, Jul 3, 2:53am
C&P from Ruby19. SPINACH AND CHEESE CANELLONI.
500g cottage cheese, 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, 1 defrosted pkt of spinach about 250-300g, squeezed dry, freshly grated nutmeg, 1 clove garlic, crushed. Combine the above really well and use as a cannelloni filling, layer in a single layer and top with 500ml of your fav pasta sauce and sprinkle with cheese and cook for about 30min @ 180oc, or until golden.

ruby19

ange164, Jul 3, 2:54am
NACHOS. C&P from Ruby19 oil, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 1 tin chili beans, 1 tin mexican toms, 1 tsp cumin, 1tsp coriander, 1 tsp oregano. saute the onion and garlic until soft, add the spices cook gently for 1 min add chilli beans & half tin toms, mix well and simmer gently for 20 min, roughly mash so some of the beans are still whole. You can add fresh coriander. Use this on top of corn chips, or use in tortillas, lay the tortillas in single layer, spread with remaining mexican toms sprinkle with cheese and pop into oven until cheese has melted and golden.

ange164, Jul 5, 10:09pm
bump. .

babyluthi, Jul 6, 12:21am
Perogies After living in mid-west of Canada for several years these are part of the staple diet where I was.Wonderful recipe, I preferred mine pan fired with some onions after boiling, however many ate them after the boiling stage.Eat with sour cream and salsa on the side. Or along side cabbage rolls. They are a bit time consuming, but you can make them in advance and freeze them for future use.Have a perogie making day;) Here is theURL http://www.canadianliving.com/food/plump_perogies_cooking_lesson.php Also URL for cabbage rolls http://www.canadianliving.com/food/comforting_cabbage_rolls.php And vegetarian cabbage rolls http://www.canadianliving.com/food/vegetarian_cabbage_rolls.php

Also great for people on a tight budget. Please note that ground beef is mince. Hope this helps:)

ange164, Jul 9, 7:13am
uh uh uh uh stayin alive, stayin alive. .

ange164, Jul 11, 7:56pm
bump again. .

ange164, Jul 11, 8:08pm
Mushroom & leek risotto. C&P from Twinsforus.
This would feed 4 adults. half a leek, quartered lengthwise then sliced thinly. 5-6 mushrooms sliced. 1-2 cloves garlic 1 cup rice olive oil 4 cups chicken or VEGETABLE stock. ( I use homemade chicken stock if I have any or 2 BISTO cubes in 4c hot water) frozen peas butter parmesan cheese Heat oil, gently cook garlic then add leek, cook, stirring until softened. Add rice fry until rice is translucent, throw in mushrooms cook for 1 minute then start adding stock one soup ladle at a time (stir until stock absorbed then add next one)Add peas after half the stock has been added. Once rice is cooked and stock is all absorbed, turn off the heat, add a good dollop of butter, handful of finely grated parmesan cheese and some chopped parsley if you have any. (non vege option: I also add leftover roast chicken to this if I have any.) This definitely costs under $10!

Original poster; twinsforus

missmuppett, Jul 12, 1:36am
Bump Bumping - cause these recipes are great!Thanks everyone!

ange164, Jul 15, 7:31pm
bump for the day. have noticed some suitable lentil soup recipes and such in other threads, will copy and paste them later to try to keep these little gems all together.

ange164, Jul 21, 9:14pm
cheats vege lasange C&P from nunesy cheats vege lasagne
I had a lot of must-use-quickly veges and some lasagne sheets so I just layered brocolli, eggplant slices, and capsicum slices with Italian chopped tomatoes and a few extra herbs, and layers of lasagne sheets. Then topped it with a small amount of bechamel sauce and some grated cheese. YUM and VERY easy. Have made it since with different flavours of tinned tomatoes - all good!

nunesy

ange164, Jul 21, 9:15pm
Vege lasange from Carolyn20 This method is quite fast to prepare
I make this at least once a month. In frypan saute chopped onion/garlic/courgette(2)/mush-
rooms. In a bowl mix together one large jar of pasta sauce (like Five Brothers etc) and 500gm tub of cottage cheese. Once veg sauteed add this to the cottage cheese mix. If I happen to have cream cheese I add some blobs for a more richer texture. I use fresh lasagne sheets and layer using three sheets. For topping melt 1-2T butter, mix through 1 cup breadcrums and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Sprinkle over top and cook for 30 mins on 200c. You can add spinach but to save myself complaints from my children I often leave it out.

carolyn20

ange164, Jul 21, 9:18pm
Mexican spiced tomato soup. C&B Bunny12 Have got this on the stove bubbling at the moment:
(From Sophie Gray's Enjoy)Mexican spiced tomato soup: 2tbsp olive oil, 2 onions-chopped, 3 cloves garlic-chopped, 3tsp Mexican seasoning, 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes, 6 cups beef stock (if using powder, allow 1 heaped tsp per cup of water) 1/3 cup tomato paste, 1&1/2 cups red lentils, 2tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander or parsley, sour cream to garnish (optional). In a large saucepan heat the oil and add the onions & garlic.

ange164, Jul 21, 9:19pm
continued. Cook until light golden.
Mix in the Mexican seasoning then add tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, lentils and sugar.Bring to the boil and stir, then reduce temperature and simmer for 45mins. Add chopped fresh herbs & garnish with a dollop of sour cream. MEXICAN SEASONING: 1 heaped tbsp ground cumin, 2tsp sugar, 1tsp salt, 1tsp oregano, 1tbsp chilli pwder or flakes. I've made this soup heaps of times, it is really tasty (has a spicy kick), have never put the sour cream in as yet.

ange164, Jul 21, 9:20pm
note to the above; switch beef stock for green herb stock or vegetable stock. But I'm sure you clever darlings would've figured that one out.

ruby19, Jul 27, 1:44am
Vegetarain shepherds pie 1 tbspolive oil,1 large onion , halved and sliced, 2 large carrots,chopped, 2 courgettes chopped (keep veggies chunky), 2 tbsp thyme chopped, 200ml red wine,400g can chopped tomatoes( Moroccan flavour works well), 2 vegetable stock cubes, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 cup puy lentils,950g sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into chunks, 25g butter, grated cheese.

ruby19, Jul 27, 1:47am
Cont`d Heat the oil in a frying pan, then fry the onion & paprika until soft. Add the carrots & courgettes and all but a sprinkling of thyme. Pour in the wine, 150ml water and the tomatoes, then sprinkle in the stock cubes and simmer for 10 mins. Add the lentils,carrots still have a bit of bite and the lentils are pulpy.
Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes for 15 mins until tender, drain well, then mash with the butter and season to taste. Pile the lentil mixture into a pie dish, spoon the mash on top, then sprinkle over the cheese and remaining thyme.
Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Cook for 20 mins

ange164, Jul 30, 3:29am
Side dish. Cauliflower cashew salad. 3 C raw cauliflower broken into small florets. 1/2 C plain or roasted cashew pieces. 2 Apples diced or grated. 1/2 C saultanas. 1 T finely chopped parsley.MIX TOGETHER AND ADD THE DRESSING, Chill and serve. --- Dressing options: Condensed milk and lemon juice OR Mango or apricot yoghurt with lemon juice OR Avocado mashed with lemon juice, honey and a little salt. OR sour cream.

ange164, Aug 6, 6:10am
x.

ange164, Aug 7, 9:50pm
Kumara /pumpkin with cumin and chilli. Side dish. C&P FROM tania58. ---
recipe is from Ray McVinnie. It's chopped up pumpkin he uses, but I've used kumera before. chop it in chunks, (I'm guessing 2 Large kumara half a kilo-ish (ange)) add 3T olive oil, 1t cumin seeds, (Ground Cumin if you dont have the seeds.) 2 small dried red chillis finely sliced. Mix it all up, season with salt & pepper and roast 35 mins.