Needed-ideas for simple easy vegetarian meals

Page 1 / 11
ange164, Sep 10, 11:47pm
C&P from Bucjo. Chilli beans on corn chips. made this
last night: http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2007/july/black-and-red
-bean
-chilli served it with corn chips. i'm never using mince in a chilli again! this was better!

bucjo

frances1266, Sep 20, 8:35pm
veg ... . .

aspenh, Sep 20, 9:12pm
asian and indian food You can buy quite a few curry pastes etc that you can add seasonal veges/tofu/curd cheese to instead of meat (check the packets as some have fish). Fillo parcels and salad - hell easy. I didnt like alot of the Alison Holst food. The same with the vege sausages that Sanitarium are now doing (they make a few under different labels) - they arent worth the $. Stir fries (noodles/rice and your own ingredients), nachos with no meat - easy peasy and kids can make. Burgers - nut rissoles used to be loved in my house (any nuts ground, breadcrumbs, herbs and any other seasonings, onion, mushrooms etc with egg to bind - shallow fry - you can work out the amounts).
To be honest - simple is good and fast!

ange164, Sep 23, 10:52pm
... .

frances1266, Oct 4, 7:53pm
veg recipes ... . .

ruby19, Oct 18, 7:16pm
CAPONATA _5 tablespoons olive oil, 1 1/2-pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 1 medium red onion, cubed, 4 large garlic cloves, chopped, 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings in juice, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 tbs drained capers, 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, (light sprinkle of Cayenne opt)
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic cloves. sauté until eggplant is soft and brown, about 15 minutes. Add diced tomatoes with juice, then red wine vinegar and drained capers. Cover and simmer until eggplant and onion are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Season caponata to taste with salt and pepper & add cayenne if using. Transfer caponata to serving bowl. Mix in fresh basil. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold. (Caponata can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. )

barloo, Oct 22, 12:08am
bumping along ! !

valentino, Dec 2, 3:08am
Even for vegetarians as well... ... .

Cheers.

gb, Dec 2, 4:39am
What can I prepare/buy for a vegetarian festive/special Christmas Dinner -not too cheesy or complicated as only 2 family members are vegetarian. Thanks.

ange164, Dec 27, 11:14pm
GB I'm sorry we, none of us, got back to you in time. I hope you found some lovely recipes somewhere and enjoyed your meal and christmas day.

mandy1968, May 30, 8:53am
to feed a family... ... pleeeease.
The whole vegetarian thing is quite foreign to me but willing to give it a go and hopefully cut back on the meals we have with meat.
Many thanx in advance for your ideas

elliehen, May 30, 8:57am
Bumped for msfit1

ange164, May 30, 9:03am
I've seen several threads start and die looking for vegetarian meals in here. THe most widely recommended book to get out from your library is Alison Holst's "meals without meat". I have a copy, and it's good in that you don't have to buy many specialty or expesive ingrediants to make most of the recipes in it. Most of them are very tasty so you can feel confident using any recipe you have the ingrediants for and see how you like it. Some will become fast favorites.

susiee, May 30, 9:05am
Vegetarian Meals My teenage daughter has just gone vegetarian so we're having some interesting dinners at the moment. Mushroom risotto was the 1st meal I made for her which we all liked, a vegetable casserole with herb dumplings is tomorrow nights dinner, udon noodle stir fry was very nice and we've had homemade burgers made with falafel. Interested to hear about other ideas as well.

ange164, May 30, 9:08am
now, I can fish out my recipe books but not tonight; I'm too tired. From my local Seventh Day adventist church where I took some vege cooking classes I got some good and tasty recipes. (you could look into that, it's cheap and informative. ) THings like peanut marinated firm tofu with mushroom sauce/gravy over noodles served with bean salad and fresh crusty bread. Also, the sanitarium site will have a lot of info as they make some items like nutmeat in a can and such.

ange164, May 30, 9:10am
for an easy meal you can do falafel into burger patties (chick pea patties) and make them up just like home made burgers with bbq sauce and all. THey're pretty tasty. Or if that's a bit beyond you, you can buy them frozen in the supermarket.

ange164, May 30, 9:12am
heres one link to the sanitarium recipes http://www.sanitarium.co.nz/default. asp? sectionID=6&rcID
=23

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:15am
Chickpea Burgers with Coriander & Garlic Cream Drain a 400g can chickpeas & place in food processor with 1T each crushed fresh garlic, lemon juice & 1 egg white. Process until combined. Add 3C grated vegetables such as zucchini, carrot & pumpkin with 1/2C taco seasoning mix & chopped fresh herbs. Shape into patties & chill for 10 mins.
Place on a baking tray, bake at 180C for 18-20mins.
** Coriander and Garlic Cream:

125g sour cream, 125ml cream, 1 clove crushed garlic , 2T coriander leaves, 2T chopped flat leaf parsley, mix altogether well, serve with burgers.

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:17am
WholemealVegetable Pancakes. Sift 1/2C wholemeal flour & a pinch of salt in a bowl, return husks in sifter to bowl, add 2 lightly beaten eggs, stir until mixture is smooth & free of lumps. Gradually add 3/4C milk, mix to a smooth batter. Allow to stand 30min. Heat pan, grease well. From a small jug pour 2-3T of pancake mixture into a pan, swirling batter evenly around pan. Cook over a medium heat until light golden brown. Turn pancake & cook other side, repeat with remaining batter.
Fill with any cooked vegetable combination, roll up, sprinkle with cheese, bake in moderate oven 5 min or until cheese has melted, garnish with parsley.

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:20am
Make a Omit the tuna/ salmon to make a Vegetable impossible pie.

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:26am
Russian Mushroom & Tofu Stroganoff. 2 onions finely diced; 4 cloves garlic finely diced; 2T rice bran oil; 1t thyme dried; 500g mushrooms sliced; 3 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes (Blend with stick blender so smooth); 1/3 tin coconut cream (good one, Trident /Kara is best); 1/2t salt or to taste;1C cubed tofu (or white canned beans or other protein)
1 pinch cayenne pepper; 2T honey; Some seasonal vegetables (eg. roasted sliced carrots, roasted pumpkin, red peppers)

Cook oil, onions, garlic, mushrooms, oil in pot until onion is clear (lid on is best so mushrooms can sweat) - approx 10 mins. Add remaining ingredients & stir while heating to just about boiling. Add coconut cream last; taste & adjust cayenne/salt as required.
Serve on brown rice. Serves 6-8

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:29am
Apricot Delight. Breakfast or Dessert 1x 425g can apricots; 1x can unsweetened crushed pineapple, 2t cornflour.

Drain juice from fruit. Mix 1/4C juice with cornflour. Add remaining juice and cook until thick. Add fruit and heat. Pour over apple oats casserole before serving.

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:30am
Apple Oats Casserole. 2C rolled oats; 2 or more C. soy or nut milk; 1 or more C. unsweetened crushed pineapple; 1C raisins; 2 small apples, grated; slivered almonds.
Mix all together and place in a baking dish. Bake at 180C for 45-60 mins.
Top with Apricot Delicious.

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:34am
Tofu With Vegetables & Chilli. 1T peanut oil, 1 long red chilli finely chopped, 3 cloves garlic crushed, 500g butternut cut into pieces, 12 button mushrooms sliced, 150g snow peas halved, finely grated zest & juice of an orange, 200g firm tofu cut into 2cm pieces.
Heat oil in a lge wok. Cook chilli, garlic & pumpkin for 5-6min or until pumpkin is almost tender. Add mushrooms & snow peas. Cook a further2-3min, tossing often. Add orange rind, juice & tofu. Cook until just heated through. Serve with steamed wholegrain rice & chilli sauce. Garnish with coriander.

fruitluva2, May 30, 9:37am
There are some delightful vegetable recipes in the "Boring vegetables thread too