Help with tasty crockpot/slowcooker meals please?

Page 1 / 2
amyc000, May 27, 9:57pm
At the moment all I can do in my slow cooker is corned silverside with veges and a bacon hock soup! Very sad! The crockpot needs to be my friend over winter as I will be very busy so any interesting meals would be appreciated! Thanks, Amy :)

245sam, May 27, 10:04pm
amyc000, there's a whole range of recipes and ideas for using the crockpot/slowcooker at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewforum. php? f=10

Also try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using either 'crockpot' or slowcooker' as the Keyword and 'Anytime' as the Date posted option. Your crockpot can be, and should become, your friend - indeed a good number of MBers have two crockpots/slowcookers that they use at the same time for e. g. soup or main course and dessert. :-))

biker_69, May 27, 10:37pm
<-----
See that search button over there?

amyc000, May 27, 10:38pm
Thanks Sam, I have looked up what you have suggested and there are so many that I get more confused than anything else! AAARRRGGHH! !

amyc000, May 27, 10:43pm
Ouch be nice! I have searched over there before I asked, but as I said I am new to this and I thought someone might be able to help me get started as I just get confused when I see hundreds of recipes!

amyc000, May 27, 10:52pm
Oh and I am allergic to tomato, so that rules out all the recipies with tomato soup or tinned tomato... ...

fisher, May 27, 11:02pm
Amy, try and think of what sort of meal you want to serve your family... variety is the spice of life so they say ...
so if you know for instance what meat you want , for example Beef pieces, then you would be most likely to look for say beef casserole or stew when doing your search. . This will narrow your search down AFTER you have decided what meal you want to serve rather than look at a huge list humming and haring which one to pick...
As you say, you want to make your crockpot more time saving so pick your meal for the next night as well and prepare that. . when you wash the crockpot bowl out after dinner, put the next prepared meal in and into the fridge ready to fire up in the morning. . You can make BIG meals and freeze half, simply ready to heat up for next time. .

cookessentials, May 27, 11:07pm
Autumn Vegetable Beef Stew

500-750g lean stewing beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
1 rasher thick sliced bacon, diced
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups beef stock
1 cup apple cider
750gpotatoes (about 5 or 6 medium potatoes), diced
2 medium carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups diced swede
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

Cook bacon, beef, and onions a large skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned and bacon is cooked. Put the beef and onions in the slow cooker with the bacon, beef stock, apple cider, potatoes, carrots, celery, swede, bay leaf, rosemary, and pepper. Cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours. Combine flour with cold water to form a smooth mixture. Stir into the beef mixture, turn to HIGH, and continue cooking for 15 minutes longer.
Serves 4 to 6.

fisher, May 27, 11:17pm
Crockpot Lamb Neck Chops
Ingredients:
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes, lamb neck chops, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil,
2 cloves, peeled, crushed garlic , 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped, 1 swede peeled and diced, 3 carrots peeled and diced
1 onion sliced, 1 beef oxo cube, 1 tsp of marmite
Method:
Peel all the veges and place the PEELINGS into a pot with a tsp of salt and some peppercorns. Fill with water and boil for 40 mins adding a little water as required. .
Meanwhile, in a bowl, mash the salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary with a fork to form a paste. Rub all over the lamb neck chops... .
Heat the oil in a frypan and lightly brown the lamb on both sides. Place the seared lamb into the crockpot.
To the frypan add one cup of water and the beef oxo cubes and marmite and bring to the boil. . Pour over meat. Strain off the vege juice into the crockpot and discard the peelings. .
Cover and set crockpot to auto for 7 ~ 8 Hours.
Fresh water in the pot , tsp of salt and par boil all the veges for 6 mins. One hour before serving, spoon out 2/3rd of the veges into the crockpot and pour in near all the water. . With a stick blender, mash the last 1/3rd of veges in the pot and add to the crockpot. .
Do a a taste test and season as required...

amyc000, May 27, 11:21pm
Thank you so much for those excellent suggestions. I will definately try to pop in all in the pot the night before. And thank you for your lovely recipes, these will certainly be the first for me to try.

amyc000, May 27, 11:23pm
cookessentials wrote:
1 1/2 cups diced swede

I have never used swede before, does it have a strong flavor? Or can it be replaced with somthing else?

zappi, May 27, 11:26pm
This is one of our favourites
Alison Holst's Lazy Lasagne

500g minced beef
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oreganum
1 x 400 g can whole or diced tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 packet tomato soup, or tomato and onion soup
2 tsp instant beef stock
1 Cup hot water
250g lasagne shapes or long strips

Topping:
1 cup grated tasty cheese
2 tsp cornflour
1 egg
3/4 cup milk, sour cream, or a mixture of both
paprika

*Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat and coat the bowl with non-stick spray.
*Put the garlic and tomatoes [with any juice] into a food processor or large bowl and process or mash with a fork to break up the tomatoes.
*Add the soup mix, minced beef, tomato paste, stock , herbs and water then process or mix until well combined.
*Spread one third meat mixture into crockpot, place half the lasagne pieces over meat, layer another third of meat mixture, remaining lasagne ending with remaining meat.

*Mix Milk, egg, cornflour add cheese and mix.
*Pour this over everything in the slow cooker and sprinkle with paprika .
*Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8 - 9 hours.
*Serve with a green salad or cooked veges and garlic bread
tes.

zappi, May 27, 11:28pm
The Alison Holst 101 (Crockpot meals) cant quite remember the title but it has the 101, is a really good book to get hold of. Lots of family friendly meals. Rice pudding is nice also done in the crockpot.
1/2 cup rice, 6 cups milk, vanilla essence, 3 tablespoons of sugar (white or brown) and nutmeg. Cook on low for 4 hours and then at the end mix 2 eggs with a 1/2 cup milk and stir thru.

fisher, May 27, 11:31pm
One more thing. .
"MOST" supermarkets have cycling weekly meat specials. .
Maybe chicken is on special that week and then they will change to beef the next week and then say pork or lamb. . Simply buy the meat special for that week for the crockpot and then choose from a variety of recipes available to you. . Big Meal, freeze half... save time and money. .

fisher, May 27, 11:34pm
Amy, if you can, use the swede, Its a really nice flavour enhancing and balancing the other veges and in a stew is quite subtle. .

amyc000, May 27, 11:35pm
Yes thanks, I already buy what is on special and believe me in this house with a husband and teenage boys there is no such thing as leftovers so I rarely get to freeze anything! But actually that is a good way to determine what to search for! Thanks again.

amyc000, May 27, 11:37pm
I will give it a go, sneak it in so the boys dont even know its there! Good grief the sculduggery that goes on in cooking these days!

fisher, May 27, 11:40pm
LOL... just use a small one the size of a cricket ball... It comes out very light yellow and they will think its a very mild piece of Kumura. .
Enjoy your crockpot...

cookessentials, May 28, 12:00am
Not overly, I love it steamed and mashed with salt pepper and plenty of butter. You will find it very tasty in with everything else.

mummy12, May 28, 5:55am
Anyone got anymore recipes for slow cookers have just bought one and am keen as mustard to use it!

fisher, May 28, 6:45am
http://e-ware.co.nz/downloads.htm
mummy go to this url page and follow the instructions for crockpot... second one down... .

margyr, May 28, 6:58am
#1 i am new to using my slow cooker as well, so far have found that any of the recipes i used to do on the stove or in the oven are fine in the crockpot, just use only about 1/4- 1/2 the water you would normally, I usually put mine on aroun 8am onto auto and we are eating around 6. 30, today i put in a frozen leg of lamb at 8am, turned it over around lunch time, and then took it out and wrapped in tinfoil around 5, poured off the juice into roasting pan and roasted vege in oven. The meat was sooo tender it just fell off the bone.

glenn-ellyn, May 29, 12:42am
Have a look in the recipe book section at your local library. I found some great slow cooker books there and just copied the recipes that interested me.
I have just been given the Allison Gofton book 'Slow'. It's a beauty.

biker_69, May 29, 1:21am
C'mon! How was I not being nice?

dorothy_vdh, May 29, 3:05am
. I made this last week, followed the recipe exactly
I arrived home 6 hours after putting it on low and it was burnt.
So do you think its my crockpot, its a kambrock and only a couple of years old. Everything else I cook in it is fine