Needed-ideas for simple easy vegetarian meals

Page 4 / 11
fruitluva2, Jun 21, 10:18pm
Chickpea Loaf. 3C cooked chickpeas, 1/4C finely chopped onion, 1/2C tomato sauce, 2T soy flour, 1t sage, 2T chopped parsley, salt to taste, 1C chopped celery, 1C dry breadcrumbs, 2T soy sauce, 1C ground nuts, 2T oil, 2T pea flour, Add extra liquid as needed. - Mash chickpeas and put in a lge bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake in an oiled loaf pan at 190C for 30 mins or until set.

frances1266, Jun 22, 3:49am
Mock Lamb 1-2/3c water, 2T chickpea flour, 2T yeast flakes,
1t thyme, 1 onion chpd, 1t salt,
1/2t garlic pdr, 1c dry breadcrumbs, 1-1/2c gluten flour,
4c or more of thin gravy.
Mix all except gravy in a bowl - mix quickly adding more water if needed to make consistency of bread dough. Pat it out to a flattish shape, saute on both sides and put in casserole dish or cast iron frypan. Simmer 40-50 min on top of oven if in frypan or at 180c in oven. If it looks like it is drying out add more gravy.
Can put stuffing made with fresh breadcrumbs, onion and herbs in middle and fold over like a turnover and cook as before.
Serve with roast veg or mashed potato, peas and carrots.
This is great cold in sandwiches, stir fries.

cybertao, Jun 22, 3:57am
I made a curry last night. Put a pot of water for rice(I use brown) on to boil. Put onion, garlic, and butter in another saucepan. Add a tin of tomatoes when the onions are soft, and a can of chickpeas(sometimes I use mushrooms). And a tsp of Vencat Curry powder and leave to simmer. Put rice in the water(I use the absorption method), and go find something else to do for 20mins. It's my gf's fave.

ruby19, Jun 22, 10:19pm
I made these on the week end big hit 500g cottage cheese, 200g button mushrooms chopped, 200g peeled & de-seeded pumpkin chopped into small cubes about 1cm. 2 cloves crushed garlic S & P, freshly grated nutmeg, 3-4 tbs sp o/oil, 1/4 cup white wine.
18 sheets of filo, melted butter.
roast the pumpkin in o/oil until golden & tender, cool, cook the mushrooms in 1 tbsp of the o/oil, add the garlic& wine, make sure all the liquid has evaporated, & mushrooms are soft. cool. Mix cottage cheese, mush & pumpkin, season, & add grated nutmeg to taste. layer 3 sheets of filo out buttering each sheet as you go. you will make 6 parcels.cook on a greased baking sheet in apreheated 180oC oven for 20-25 min, until golden

ruby19, Jun 22, 10:23pm
Sauce to accompany parcels 75g mushrooms, very finely sliced, 1 med onion, 1 tbsp o/oil, very finely chopped, 1 clove garlic finely minced, 1 tbsp tom paste, 200ml port, 200ml veg stock.
heat the oil add the garlic onion and cook 5 min until soft, add the mushrooms cook for 5 min until tender, add tom paste cook for 3 min, pour in the port and simmer over high heat until reduced by half, add veggie stock and bring to boil and simmer for 20 min. serve with parcels.

ange164, Jun 24, 2:16am
GINGER RICE SALAD. SERVES 6. lunch /casual dinner. Make this up and enjoy stuffed into pita pockets or as a side dish. You can use brown or white rice, medium or long grain. It really doesn’t matter. The two dominant flavors are peanut and onion, with sweetness from the honey in the sauce. It’s very delicious and because peanuts are a legume and rice is a grain they combine to give a complete protein, so it’s filling too! It’s best eaten that day, it can still be eaten the next day (and the day after)but the peanuts may have gone a bit soft as a result. INGREDIANTS: DISH; 1-2 T oil half a 750gram bag of frozen stir fry mix veges. 3 C cooked rice. 3 Spring onions trimmed and sliced. 1 C roasted Peanuts. INGREDIANTS: SAUCE; 2 T (watties Asian) sweet soy sauce. (or regular if you don’t have that handy. ) Juice of half a lemon. ¼ C oil. 2 T honey. 1 t each of minced chili and ginger. (or if you’ve only got dried, ½ t of each. )

ange164, Jun 24, 2:16am
ginger rice saladcont... METHOD: stir fry your frozen veg, and then mix that, your rice, spring onions and peanuts together. Put the Sauce ingredients in something and microwave them a minute to melt the honey and combine it; then pour that over the salad and stir it all through. You can serve this hot, warm or cold. Warm in Pita Pockets is my favorite. I don’t know where this recipe came from originally but I suspect it’s an Alison Holst one. Thanks to Wendy Haywood who passed the recipe onto me.

ferita, Jun 24, 2:20am
http://www.fatfree.com/cgi-bin/recipes. cgi is an awesome site for vegetarian recipes

cybertao, Jun 24, 7:31am
Hey ferita! Fancy bumping in to you here...

cybertao, Jun 24, 7:42am
Oh yeah, a recipe... How about tortillas? 300g flour, 1+1/2tsp salt, 1+1/2tsp baking powder, generous amount of oil(50ml or so? ), 200ml hot water. Mix everything together, add the water and mix into a dough, leave it to rest for 20-30mins. Roll into balls(makes 12), then roll flat with a rolling pin. Keep flipping them or they stick to the table. Cook in a hot pan, flip them when they start to bubble. You can fill them with anything. Beans, salad, leftovers... anything you like.

ferita, Jun 25, 11:15pm
re: 77 Im a hardcore vegetarian. Have been one all my life (was raised one).

darlingmole, Jun 26, 1:26am
bumping ~ I make the homemade tortilla's aswell cyber. Put in the usual salad stuff but the hot mixture is normally chili beans with onion and grated up anything-I-can-get-my-hands-on-
type veges. Add the grated cheese and the teenagers don't know the difference (they're culinary philistines anyway ha! )

frances1266, Jun 26, 6:47am
Butter tofu made Ange's recipe last night and it is really quick, easy and good.
I diced the tofu and sauteed in a little oil until brown and crisp and added frozen veg and butter sauce. Was quick and yum with some steamed veg and b rown rice.

jenna68, Jun 28, 8:49pm
X... X

ange164, Jul 1, 9:09pm
bump b

poohbearfan3, Jul 1, 9:09pm
bumping for the fellow veges and i can highly recommend the vege cooking classes at seven day adventist churches. i found out about one that was advertised and did it a few weeks ago - so cheap, and brilliant recipes - which of course i don't have here!

ange164, Jul 2, 12:09am
C&P from susieq. VEGETABLE CURRY. Vegetable Curry... . .
225gm Chopped carrots, 2 chopped onions, 225gms sliced beans, 2sticks chopped celery, 1 diced apple, 1 can of tomatoes or fresh, 2tblsp lentils (soak for 2hrs), 1tblsp curry powder, 2tblsp dark jam eg plum, 1tsp salt. Put all into casserole dish and cook at 180C for 1 hour. Serve with fresh homemade bread. Delicious. The amount of veges are just approximate.

susieq9

ange164, Jul 2, 2:53am
C&P from Ruby19. SPINACH AND CHEESE CANELLONI.
500g cottage cheese, 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, 1 defrosted pkt of spinach about 250-300g, squeezed dry, freshly grated nutmeg, 1 clove garlic, crushed. Combine the above really well and use as a cannelloni filling, layer in a single layer and top with 500ml of your fav pasta sauce and sprinkle with cheese and cook for about 30min @ 180oc, or until golden.

ruby19

ange164, Jul 2, 2:54am
NACHOS. C&P from Ruby19 oil, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 1 tin chili beans, 1 tin mexican toms, 1 tsp cumin, 1tsp coriander, 1 tsp oregano. saute the onion and garlic until soft, add the spices cook gently for 1 min add chilli beans & half tin toms, mix well and simmer gently for 20 min, roughly mash so some of the beans are still whole. You can add fresh coriander. Use this on top of corn chips, or use in tortillas, lay the tortillas in single layer, spread with remaining mexican toms sprinkle with cheese and pop into oven until cheese has melted and golden.

ange164, Jul 4, 10:09pm
bump. .

babyluthi, Jul 5, 12:21am
Perogies After living in mid-west of Canada for several years these are part of the staple diet where I was. Wonderful recipe, I preferred mine pan fired with some onions after boiling, however many ate them after the boiling stage. Eat with sour cream and salsa on the side. Or along side cabbage rolls. They are a bit time consuming, but you can make them in advance and freeze them for future use. Have a perogie making day;) Here is theURL http://www.canadianliving.com/food/plump_perogies_cooking_le
sson. php
Also URL for cabbage rolls http://www.canadianliving.com/food/comforting_cabbage_rolls.
php
And vegetarian cabbage rolls http://www.canadianliving.com/food/vegetarian_cabbage_rolls.
php

Also great for people on a tight budget. Please note that ground beef is mince. Hope this helps:)

juliewn, Jul 5, 1:45pm
bumping. . . .

ange164, Jul 8, 7:13am
uh uh uh uh stayin alive, stayin alive. .

elliehen, Jul 9, 11:58am
Bumping vegetarian for the vegetarians :) :))

ange164, Jul 10, 7:56pm
bump again. .