*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are glut

Page 15 / 16
herika, Nov 20, 7:16pm
Hi aderyn2,
Have a great day!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 6, 11:45pm
What's happened to Herika!

winnie15, Dec 9, 10:47pm
gluten free vinegar . does it have a thickener! where wouldyou buy it and does it have a different name!

irishdymonz, Apr 17, 6:04am
We use the rice sticks here too.They're inexpensive and are a good substitute for spaghetti in bolognaise etc.Everyone likes them, so as with you herika, no need to cook separate meals.

pommyjohn1, Apr 17, 8:43pm
I have searched in vain for gluten free Rice Noodles can anyone give me a brand I can buy from the supermarket!

nzbadger, Apr 23, 11:55pm
I have copied & pasted info & thought this may be of help to some people. Can't remember where I got the info from :-)
Eating Out on a GF Diet
Pizza
More and more pizza places are becoming gluten conscious. If making a booking, call ahead to ensure there are gluten free bases available. Hells Pizza, La Porchetta, Gina’s, Il Buco and now Dominos all have gluten free options. Just make sure your toppings are also gluten free.
Indian
Most Indian food is gluten free. You can even have pappadums!
Just steer clear of the breads and deep fried starters and you should be ok.
Thai
Thai food is also mostly gluten free. If you want to order a noodle based dish make sure you ask for rice noodles. Again, say no to those deep fried starters.
Mexican
Be wary of tortillas! CHECK with the kitchen as to what their burittos are made from as the supermarket brands contain wheat. You should be able to get the kitchen to make a simple dish on rice if their tortillas aren’t made from corn.
Chinese
If you want to eat this cuisine, you have to have a lot of faith in your communication skills (and your local takeaways). Ask for no MSG, choose dishes on rice, or rice noodles and avoid battered options like sweet & sour pork. Remember, soy sauce is made from wheat, so it’s safest to ask for an unseasoned meal.
Burgers
Burger Fuel, Burger Wisconsin, Murder Burger, The Chip Shop are all safe. Just make sure you check your fillings are also gluten free.

Turkish
Falafel, hummus, salads and rice are gluten free. So you can definitely find a meal at a Turkish restaurant. Avoid breads, and if you want other sauces, check if they are gluten free first. Always ask about the meat before ordering – some places combine with breadcrumbs.
Fish & Chips
The problem with chips is cross contamination – so these are totally out for coeliacs unless you make them yourself at home or go to The Chip Shop in Royal Oak. Grilled fish should be ok, but almost everything else is a no go zone.
Japanese
Beware of sushi! It’s not just the soy sauce, check which vinegar they use to cook the rice with. Avoid all noodles, tempura and dumplings and check about sauces and condiments before ordering. Wagamamas is a good place to go.
Steakhouse
Stick to simple dishes. Most decent places will make you a simple meal like steak with steamed vegetables. Be sure to let the chef know you are gluten intolerant to ensure they take the best care with your meal.
In general.
Keep ordering simple. If you want a sauce, check whether it is safe with the kitchen. Avoid breads, pastas, crumbed or battered foods, noodles and MSG. Order simple and satisfying dishes – non processed meats, vegetables, legumes, rice, tofu, fruits and cheeses are fine to eat. If you can, call and ask ahead. The kitchen will be easier to deal with if they’re prepared.
If you have coeliacs, or are very gluten intolerant it is always best to let staff know.Most people are still not aware of issues around cross contamination and will not even think twice about re-using a knife, or putting your gluten free bread into their normal toaster.Just let them know.Explain that it is a serious allergy which can make you very ill.This way you can feel more confident about how safe your food is, and they will know more for next time.

arabian, May 6, 9:02pm
Herika, your bakery, are you able to give contact details.I can't seem to find anyone here in Dunedin who makes good bread.There was one but it closed.Thanks Arabian

arabian, May 8, 5:50am
He he, I didn't think you owned a bakery I just meant the one you shop at.Thank you for the contact.:)

ruby19, May 13, 9:05pm
I think ifwere diagnosed to go gluten free I would try and go back to fresh foods as much as possible, trying to keep away from the pre made products.That being said I think I would have to buy the G/F pasta`s

Another thing which has always stuck in my mind is, Focus on what you can eat Not on what you can`t.Mind you, this might be easier said than done!

I have a friend whos daughter is ceoliac (sp), so do make gluten free dishes on occasion.

cookessentials, May 13, 9:06pm
ruby, what are your thoughts on the site below!
http://www.mfd.co.nz/ is it helpful to those with either a gluten intolerance or coeliac disease! I see it lists quite a number of products which would be helpful to sufferers! or do you still have to pick and choose!

cookessentials, May 13, 9:30pm
No problem herika.your advice is always welcome and it is good to know these things. I see that the site is continually updated and I would have thought that it would take into consideration the changes of various foods. When we were in Australia, there was a fabulous magazine that was available and I think it was put out by their coeliac society. I do have a couple of them at home and they are very imformative. I know my girlfriend that has coeliacs found it very difficult when living in New Zealand, to get the variety of items that she can get in Australia, but I guess that will change over time.

minana, May 14, 9:53am
hi all, I am gluten intolerant too. A few years back I discovered I'd developed an allergy to pearl barley - you know the lovely gluteny grains in those winter soups! It's like being poisoned. Sometimes it's in fish sauces or Asian dishes and I don't realise till its too late. Miso soup seems to have the same effect on me - straight thru. blah. Anyone else!

painterman, May 19, 12:38am
Some indian food is awesome and has no gluten at all.

They don't use wheat in a lot of parts of india.

So many curries are gluten free, of course rice is gluten free, and things like onion bahjis are made from 'pea flour' which is gluten free.

You can do completely vegetarian and gluten free, and can do vegan even. (but I like my mango lassi drink. with yoghurt.)

sikofstuf, May 20, 5:49am
I've just been contacted for a gluten/dairy free wedding cake to do in July- my last attempts at gluten free didnt end up so well- not sure if it was the recipe or me! hehe- does anyone have a fool proof recipe for the above with choc raspberry or choc and orange! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

sikofstuf, May 20, 7:26pm
oh you beauty- thank you so very much! :-) oh- btw- I'm LOVING all the cooking stuff you have on trademe- will have to put an order in soon!

wizzbikz, May 21, 4:43am
Potatoe flour and potatoe starch are they the SAME!. Having problems finding potatoe flour in Auckland.Hi and thanks to herika for the recipes. Lets hope this tread goes on for ever!.

cookessentials, May 21, 4:50am
wizzbikz, Chantal wholefoods have potato starch and it is listed as a flour under "category"
See link.
http://www.chantal.co.nz/index.php!PG=IXDCXXXX&CI=F00

flick1, May 26, 9:17pm
Hi Herika, I think we have chatted in the past. Yet again my daughter is showing some concerning signs(though Dr's aren't as concerned as me) she has had quite bad constipation off and on since the beginning of the year, which has meant a lot of pain for her. I asked the last Dr I saw what foods to avoid and what foods to give her, and apart from 'no junk food' and a website, I was left with very little. She doesn't have much junk food, we don't have takeaways of any kind very often etc. She is a big eater of fruit, her favourites being apple and prunes. So I'm thinking of looking at doing an elimination diet, yet again, to see if it makes a difference, so would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

motorbo, Jun 19, 5:51am
ha ha ohhh yum me too i cook for just me and i do roasts, if its pork i usually buy a pork belly, lamb i usually do shanks, chicken i do the whole bird cos its easy to get through a whole one yourself in a couple of days, im trying to go low carb now to help shift some weight !

cookessentials, Jun 26, 1:14am
flick1, does your daughter drink much water!

chrisynz, Jun 27, 9:39am
husband can not now have gluten and i am struggling to find suitable things he can eat.esp for lunch time and snacks.he is quite a fussy eater.a friend has given me an awesome recipe for muffin type snacks that contain gluten free flour, cheese, bacon, sour cream , baking powder.which he loves but i can only give him so much of them too, he will not eat fruit cakes etc.he cannot eat chocolate either. some simple cheap ideas would be great,, we get our bread from colonal bakery by the hospic shop in invers

chrisynz, Jun 27, 9:07pm
husband will not eat nuts oer dried fruits, he doesnt work so it makes iut harder when u are on a strict budget.he doesnt eat salads or celery. or those ricecrackers.but will eat the skata ones. as i know they r GF well most them. were do u get ur bread from

poce, Jun 27, 9:18pm
This happened over night about 5 years ago in January I started to eat a golden Queen peach as one would and had looked forward to doing this, as I love them in season.Welll! within halfan hour I was at the Dr with an ellergy attack. Turns out now am allergic to most raw fresh fruit and veg all (all except tomatoes) all nuts except brazil,this never happened before, could not understand why. Still dont.

Did all the extra washing any fruit and veg but no change. Tried the organic no difference.
I now have to cook all fruit and veg even to the extent of wearing gloves to prepare food. Only take the hestamine medication when I need to.

Now I watch what I eat, grow most of my own veg, only eat what is in season and dont eat imported (fresh !) fruit or veg. (or tinned)

I still eat fruit i'ts only stewed no sugar added. cant eat dried friut either.

Have cut the use of cooking oils except olive.

I cut the pasta and rice to maybe once a fortnight.

I have a thyriod condition as well, which means that I have to cut the intake of brasaca eg cabbage cauliflower etc

The thyroid medication has lactose added, as it is added do most pills.

I agree with,. look at what you can eat not what you cant, and do a lot of labbel reading.

Get back to the basics.

next-to-normal, Jun 28, 12:43pm
i found this lecture very informative, its in a few parts,and touches on mostly all grains are the issue

Dr Rick Petersen C.C.N giving a talk on Gluten Sensitivity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=1vVjyVLhmkU also this is enlighting The Dark Side of Wheat - New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Wheat Intolerance http://www.sott.net/articles/show/205172-The-Dark-Side-of-Wh
eat-New-Perspectives-on-Celiac-Disease-and-W

lot less gluten free these days,and am annoyed how doctors are not picking it up,i wish the penny will drop for them ,that their whole grain wonder health diet,may not even be safe for ducks,we are still in the dark ages im afraid,and bread is more toxic than smoking long term and also numbers consuming it,meds and grains is a usa dollar thing,till then.

poce, Jul 1, 8:08pm
Has any one tried the GF biscuits and cake mix cant remember who makes them.any good!