Idea's on how to smoke cheese?

johne21, May 14, 8:49pm
Just brought a smoker would like to know how to smoke cheese,camebert, brie etc.Anyone got any idea's? I'm trying to get a better response in the "Recipes" thread tried in "General" thread....but getting stupid comments!!! Hopefully better luck here.:)

winnie231, May 14, 9:12pm
I'm curious to see the answers here ... I'd like to know too as I bought a smoked cheese from the Evansdale Cheese factory & it was A-MAZ-ING!

dealz4all, May 14, 9:31pm
We tried the Evansdale cheese when we were in Christchurch & amazing it is are their other cheeses. I know you have to cold smoke, but just trying to get some handy hints. The price of cheese makes hit & miss trialling a bad option.

jan2242, May 14, 10:27pm
I was given these instructions, but have not tried it yet so no guarantees. Use a low sided glass dish big enough to take the block of cheese. A 1 kg will take about 1 hour in the hot smoker to melt fully. The cheese shouldn't fall apart or separate. And another hour to go golden and smoky. Trial and error here to get he right taste. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up, the longer it is left the firmer it becomes.

fisher, May 14, 11:02pm
Smoking cheese is relative to the hardness of the type of cheese.. soft cheese less time, hard cheese longer... and more suitable for a cold smoker..
Wipe any moisture off the block and place on a rack to air and dry...3-4 hours.. High Heatis your enemy... and I generally use my "smoke cannon" which produces smoke but "no heat"... and smoke over a 3 hour period...
The idea is to produce a subtle smoke flavour...
I presume you have purchased a hot smoker which normally runs for about 15 mins with containers of meths... This is insufficient time for the long slow smoking, suitable for cold smoker...
These small portable smokers whether using the meths burners or placing the unit on the bbq are "HOT" smokers using heat to cook the fish while producing smoke.. That's why fish smoked in these smokers wont keep for more than a day or so in the fridge...
Now here's a way you could try in a hooded BBQ...Make two folded flat tinfoil parcels and place inside some manuka sawdust, about a cup full.. Make a pencil size hole in the top on one side of each... fire up the bbq under the grill side but not the hotplate side..Place a cake rack on the hotplate with the cheese on top.. now place the two foil parcels on top of the flames and you should see smoke coming out of the holes from each parcel.. Pull down the hood and leave for 30-40 mins and turn off the burners...Leave the hood down for an hour so the smoke has dissipated
Now this is untried by myself but it would be more in keeping with a "cooler" smoke than actually using the smoker you have purchased..
Suggestions... as this is trial and error use a "cheap" portion of cheese to try out first making notes of times etc...
You could use fresh herbs in with the manuka sawdust to impact a subtle herby flavour if wanted...Trial and error...:}
If you try it .. let us know how it came out...

winnie231, May 14, 11:12pm
Hi fisher ... was hoping you might pop in here & share your knowledge :)
I was thinking of trying to smoke cheese using a wok - but would this get too hot? What you you reckon?

johne21, May 14, 11:23pm
Thanks fisher,i purchased a gas fired cabinet smoker for hot smoking & are thinking about getting a cold smoke adapter to run with it. What is & where did you get your smoke cannon? Regards Phil

fisher, May 15, 12:38am
Winnie... yeah should work...want one with a lid that sits well ... just lay down some foil... bit of manuka sawdust, maybe a bit of thyme on top ??and then a tall rack inside with the cheese on top.. The foil is to save the cleaning afterwards.. Fire it up and leave it to cool and the smoke to dissipate..

patxyz, May 15, 12:45am
Easiest cold smoke generator - a soldering iron, a tin can and in my case, a large cardboard box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivMMDnUEpc

I have found with smoking cheese (cheddar) is to wrap it and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days so the flavour penetrates more.

corgi731, May 15, 1:53am
exactly wot Patxyz says above.... We smoke our cheese with the soldering iron and tin can etc...... its beautiful...............Really-
simple and really yum.. give it a go.

johne21, May 15, 8:49pm
Just brought a smoker would like to know how to smoke cheese,camebert, brie etc.Anyone got any idea's! I'm trying to get a better response in the "Recipes" thread tried in "General" thread.but getting stupid comments! Hopefully better luck here.:)

winnie231, May 15, 9:12pm
I'm curious to see the answers here . I'd like to know too as I bought a smoked cheese from the Evansdale Cheese factory & it was A-MAZ-ING!

jan2242, May 15, 10:27pm
I was given these instructions, but have not tried it yet so no guarantees. Use a low sided glass dish big enough to take the block of cheese. A 1 kg will take about 1 hour in the hot smoker to melt fully. The cheese shouldn't fall apart or separate. And another hour to go golden and smoky. Trial and error here to get he right taste. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up, the longer it is left the firmer it becomes.

fisher, May 15, 11:02pm
Smoking cheese is relative to the hardness of the type of cheese. soft cheese less time, hard cheese longer. and more suitable for a cold smoker.
Wipe any moisture off the block and place on a rack to air and dry.3-4 hours. High Heatis your enemy. and I generally use my "smoke cannon" which produces smoke but "no heat". and smoke over a 3 hour period.
The idea is to produce a subtle smoke flavour.
I presume you have purchased a hot smoker which normally runs for about 15 mins with containers of meths. This is insufficient time for the long slow smoking, suitable for cold smoker.
These small portable smokers whether using the meths burners or placing the unit on the bbq are "HOT" smokers using heat to cook the fish while producing smoke. That's why fish smoked in these smokers wont keep for more than a day or so in the fridge.
Now here's a way you could try in a hooded BBQ.Make two folded flat tinfoil parcels and place inside some manuka sawdust, about a cup full. Make a pencil size hole in the top on one side of each. fire up the bbq under the grill side but not the hotplate side.Place a cake rack on the hotplate with the cheese on top. now place the two foil parcels on top of the flames and you should see smoke coming out of the holes from each parcel. Pull down the hood and leave for 30-40 mins and turn off the burners.Leave the hood down for an hour so the smoke has dissipated
Now this is untried by myself but it would be more in keeping with a "cooler" smoke than actually using the smoker you have purchased.
Suggestions. as this is trial and error use a "cheap" portion of cheese to try out first making notes of times etc.
You could use fresh herbs in with the manuka sawdust to impact a subtle herby flavour if wanted.Trial and error.:}
If you try it . let us know how it came out.

winnie231, May 15, 11:12pm
Hi fisher . was hoping you might pop in here & share your knowledge :)
I was thinking of trying to smoke cheese using a wok - but would this get too hot! What you you reckon!

johne21, May 15, 11:26pm
Thanks fisher,i purchased a gas fired cabinet smoker for hot smoking & are thinking about getting a cold smoke adapter to run with it. What is & where did you get your smoke cannon! Regards Phil

fisher, May 16, 12:38am
Winnie. yeah should work.want one with a lid that sits well . just lay down some foil. bit of manuka sawdust, maybe a bit of thyme on top !and then a tall rack inside with the cheese on top. The foil is to save the cleaning afterwards. Fire it up and leave it to cool and the smoke to dissipate.with the lid on.

patxyz, May 16, 12:45am
Easiest cold smoke generator - a soldering iron, a tin can and in my case, a large cardboard box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=sivMMDnUEpc

I have found with smoking cheese (cheddar) is to wrap it and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days so the flavour penetrates more.

corgi731, May 16, 1:53am
exactly wot Patxyz says above. We smoke our cheese with the soldering iron and tin can etc. its beautiful.Really-
simple and really yum. give it a go.