Crock pot Chicken and vege soup - any recipes?

d06, Jul 9, 4:50am
Hi - looking for a chicken / vege soup recipe I could make in the crock pot - does anyone have a favourite that's always successful? many thanks :)

davidt4, Jul 9, 5:11am
Here is my standard chicken and vege soup recipe. I normally cook it in a big pan over very low heat, but you could use a slow cooker instead. The cooking time in a slow cooker will depend on the heat - they vary a lot.

Chicken and Vegetable Soup

serves 4

1 kg free range chicken drumsticks or 1 free range chicken
1 large onion, chopped
approx 500 ml home made chicken stock
100 ml red or white wine (optional)
about 1200g of diced (1cm) fresh vegetables - tomato, capsicum, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, beans, peas, fennel, zucchini, scallopini, kumara etc - whatever is available
2 tsp salt

to serve - fresh herbs such as tarragon, basil, parsley, marjoram, some good quality extra virgin olive oil

Put the ingredients into a large saucepan in the order listed. Bring to a simmer and simmer 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave for an hour or so to complete the poaching of the chicken. Take out the chicken and remove all of the meat from the bones, tear into small chunks and return to the pan. Discard skin and bones. Check the seasoning, if you haven't used wine or tomatoes maybe add a little wine vinegar or cider vinegar.

Sprinkle chopped herbs on each serving, then a trickle of olive oil.

Variation: Use lamb shoulder chops or shanks instead of chicken, cook longer.

d06, Aug 4, 2:08am
many thanks davidt4. sounds yummy! will try this :)