Crock pot / slow cooker

tarshlove, Jul 15, 3:29am
Is there a thread with all our favorite crock pot and slow cooker recipes if not can we add them to this one? TYIA

tarshlove, Jul 15, 5:07am
Slow cooked Kumara & Pumpkin Chowder

Ingredients:
* 50 g butter
* 1 large onion chopped
* 4 Cloves of Garlic crushed
* 500gm of peeled chopped Kumara
* 1 kg of peeled chopped Pumpkin
* 4 cups of stock or oxo cubes and water
* 1 cup cream, coconut cream or sour cream
* Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Method:
Cut Pumpkin and Kumara into manageable size pieces, Roast in oven till done. While this is roasting melt butter in a saucepan, add onion & garlic till soft then add to slow cooker. Once Pumpkin and Kumara is roasted add to slow cooker, add in stock. Cook on high for 6 hours. Blend or process the soup in batches until smooth, add the cream, coconut cream or sour cream which ever you fancy, add salt & Freshly ground pepper. Serve. Enjoy.

evorotorua, Jul 15, 8:17am
Hmmmm just the weekend coming up for this recipe! Thanks for posting it.

tinyted, Jul 17, 11:15pm
Mmmm... . would be tempted to add a tablespoon of red curry paste to the oil with the onion and garlic to give it that extra 'zing'!

tarshlove, Jul 20, 8:42am
Five Spice Chicken
Good for in the crock pot or make in the morning and bake at night

Ingredients
* 2 Cloves garlic crushed
* 4 tbl Soy sauce
* 2 tb Oil
* 1/2 tsp Five spices
* 1/2 tsp Salt
* 1 ts Brown Sugar or Honey
* 1/2 tsp Pepper

Preparation
1. Mince garlic then combine with remaining ingredients, blending well.
2. Put in crock pot with chicken cook for 6-8 hours on low

Note: You can add 3/4 tsp Hoisin sauce if you want.
If not using crock pot just marinate the chicken over night or for at least 8 hours before cooking.

tarshlove, Jul 24, 5:55am
Slow cooked Corn Beef

1 litreginger ale
Poor 1 litre of ginger ale over the meat. Cook for 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high turn half way.

martine5, Jul 24, 6:09am
Can you still make the sauce from the cooking liquid?

hil53, Jul 25, 7:45pm
Has anyone got a recipy for slow cooked pork chops please?

tarshlove, Jul 25, 9:24pm
Posted by nauru
This is a lovely Crockpot recipe... . . put crockpot on high while assembling the ingredients.

4 pork chops, 1 lg onion sliced, 2 apples sliced, 1 cup apple juice or white wine or cider. Pinch each sage & thyme. Put chops into a fry pan and brown then put into crock pot. Add onion & apples to fry pan and brown, add herbs and then add juice or wine to deglaze pan. Put mixture on top of chops in crock pot. Cover & cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Serve with steamed veges or whatever is your choice.

tarshlove, Jul 25, 10:00pm
I'm sorry I never use the liquid too salty for me I always use mustard.

hil53, Jul 26, 1:33am
Thanks naura/tarshlove
I'll try this one out.

hil53, Jul 26, 1:40am
oops that should be nauru... sorry I hate it when people spell your name wrong.

ren39, Jul 26, 3:30am
I heard you could cook roasts in slow cookers. Can anyone tell me how TIA?

hoodlum, Jul 26, 3:40am
how long for roast beef?

tarshlove, Jul 26, 8:19am
Cook for 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high

chchgurl, Jul 26, 8:44am
My ultimate recommendation would be to make sure you TURN IT ON, before leaving the house to do errands, expecting to come home to some nicely cooked chicken drums & veges LOL Epic fail. .

chchgurl, Jul 26, 8:47am
I did some the other day, and they were really yum... . . just chucked them in with some cabbage, spuds, carrots, onion and some mixed veg that were rolling around lonely in bottom of freezer, half a cup of stock, garlic, salt and pepper. Left it on all day and then had with some pull apart bread for tea. Man it was good :) Sorta like boil up but nicer LOL

hil53, Jul 26, 11:00pm
I made the pork chops in the crock pot last night but found the cup of cider vinegar far too strong... I then took it out of the pot and added a cup of water to dilute it and heated it up in the ovenbut it was not much better. Next time I will try less vinegar and maybe apple juice and water.

tarshlove, Jul 26, 11:15pm
Haha yeah that would suck haven't done it with the slow cooker yet used to do it with the stove tho lol.
Thanks for your recipe idea :o)

darlingmole, Jul 27, 2:43am
I bought some "hangi" pork last week and threw in a tin of apricots, splash of soy, some chopped up silverbeet, pepper/salt ... that's it. Cook on LOW for 7 hours and it was succulent and oh so good~!

thomson-tes, Jul 28, 8:42pm
What is hangi pork? Where do you buy it? TIA

coniproducts, Jul 28, 10:12pm
hil53, I think nauru meant apple cider. there is no mention in the recipe of cider vinegar. Perhaps that was the problem. It is shame though because the recipe sounds great. Do try it again.

pheebs1, Dec 6, 3:42pm
made this last night in the crock pot its pam delilahs recipe easy cheap and yum!

Caramel Self-Saucing Pudding
This recipe must be made close to serving as the sauce will be absorbed if left to stand.
INGREDIENTS

1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
¾ cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
20g butter, melted
½ cup (125ml) milk
4 (75g) fresh dates, seeded, chopped finely
CARAMEL SAUCE
¾ cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups (500ml) boiling water
60g butter, chopped
METHOD

Preheat oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced). Grease a 2 litre (8-cup) shallow ovenproof dish.

Combine flour, sugar, butter, milk and dates in a large bowl; mix well. Spread the mixture into the prepared dish.

CARAMEL SAUCE: Combine all ingredients in a medium heatproof jug, stir until sugar is dissolved and butter melted.

Pour Caramel Sauce slowly over the back of a spoon over batter in dish. Bake in a moderate oven for about 40 minutes or until firm in the centre.

i cooked this in my crock pot on high for 2 hours, there also a great choccie self saucing one in the search engine
soo good!